“Trust me, I'm fussy - but I LOVED it!”
Review of My Brighton

My Brighton
Ranked #13 of 43 Hotels in Brighton
Reviewed 8 June 2009

I booked this hotel for a hen party based on all of the great reviews I read on Trip Advisor. I can't stress how much we loved this place; we are all a fairly hard to please bunch when it comes to hotels and restaurants etc but we all agreed that it far exceeded our expectations and was probably one of the best hotels we have ever stayed in. It helped that we got a great price!

I was afraid that the place might be a bit too 'out there' but it's not at all. The hotel itself is beautiful; the decor is young, vibrant and funky. The walls are white but there are splashes of colour everywhere which immediately helps to soften the feel and creates a calming yet warm atmosphere. There are cute touches everywhere too; from coloured lighting to funky artwork - and this also helps to stop the hotel from being too minimalistic.

The rooms are fabulous. We had a twin room on the first floor which was very light and airy - this was vital because our room faced the street and so we had to have our blind closed more often that we would have liked The walls were white and curved contrasted by a pink/purple carpet and bed throw (the colours differ depending on your floor, so can be pink and purple, green and blue or orange). There was also a light set into a little curved hole in corner of the room that changed colour - every room had this and although it may sound tacky it was actually really soothing and / or energising (dependent on the colour!) and was one of our favourite features of the rooms. This can obviously be turned off at night though so don't worry! The beds were extremely comfortable and a good size for a single. The shower and toilet and wash area were in a small area before the beds - we really liked these however note, there is no separate door to this area - the shower and bathroom doors are made from a slightly frosted type of glass and because of this you could see the silhouette of the person in both - much to our amusement! You certainly need to be comfortable with the other person if you choose to stay here!

The rooms were also really sound-proofed - we barely heard much street noise and we never heard our neighbours once.

I didn't notice the lack of bedroom storage as we were only there for a few nights, but the wardrobes were a sufficient size and whilst there were no drawers, there was a shelf in the wardrobe which was perfectly suitable for all non-hangng items. I could maybe see this causing problems if you were staying for a week or two.

We stayed as part of the B&B package - the food was great and the service excellent. The staff were only to happy to help and service was with a smile! (note however, the cooked breakfast costs an extra £4.50).

Other staff around the hotel were equally as helpful and friendly. This includes the reception area and the bar staff who made us fabulous cocktails - in fact the bar is a must see, it's spacious, funky and very modern and when we came back to the hotel around 1am after a night-out, it was very lively and a great place for a night-cap or no doubt more.

Overall, we loved our stay and I can honestly say that we will all definitely stay here again when we re-visit Brighton - I simply can't imagine staying anywhere else!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank TomKat_17

Reviewed 7 June 2009

We stayed in an executive superior double, with 5 year old in tow. Her bed was ready made and although I am still not a fan of the decor the room was a good size and the finishing touches were lovely.
This is a great hotel with exeptional staff, they actually all look happy to be there and would do absolutely anything to accomadate you.
I dont like that you cant open the windows, and it wasnt great that the stairs are back of house and you have to rely on the lifts, only other down was the toilet door being made of glass and no lock, not ideal when a curious 5 year old follows you everywhere, also wasnt advised there was no bath, only a shower.....
However, all of this aside, I have stayed in an awful lotof hotels in brighton and this was great value, expetional location, wonderful staff and I would without hesitation return on every given opportunity. Its plus's definatly outweigh any cons and I was so suprised at how quickly I changed my mind and fell in love with the hotel.....

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 June 2009

You know how they say that if you have a guest bedroom, you should sleep in it yourself to check that your guests have everything they need? Well, the designer of this hotel should take this advice! On first glance the room looks great - funky, stylish, very light and airy, and a good size too. I like the colour sheme and the curving wall around the open-plan bathroom. But once you try to live in this room, its many flaws become apparent. There are no cupboards, drawers or wardrobes whatsoever, so nowhere to stash your stuff. I had previously been staying on a friend's floor and was really looking forward to unpacking - but in the event I ended up still living out of a suitcase. Presumably the designer thought that cupboards would have ruined the look - but believe me, the piles of stuff all over the floor were far more obtrusive than a chest of drawers would have been! There were some hangers, but these were on posts stuck onto the only full-length mirror in the room. This is the stupidest thing I've ever seen. Every time I wanted to look in the mirror, I had to unload all my clothes onto the bed! The rest of the time, the mirror was entirely obscured by clothes. The room was also lacking in the usual amenities one would expect from a hotel at GBP 140 a night. There was no mini-bar or fridge, no water, no glasses, no cotton buds or cotton wood pads ... the list goes on. I had previously stayed at myhotel bloomsbury and enjoyed a nice bath with Molton Brown toiletries, but unfortunately the Brighton branch has no bath, only a shower, and no bath cap either, which meant that I ended up having to wash my hair every time I showered. There was a grubby, stained chenille bedspread on the bed, which probably looked nice when new but now looked as if it was harbouring all kinds of nasties - I immediately threw it into the corner as far away as possible. Fortunately the bed linen was clean and the bed very comfortable. There was also a good range of lighting options - I particularly liked the light set into a recess in the wall. I had several technical problems - the telephone didn't work properly, nor did the remote for the TV (it turned out the batteries had been inserted upside-down!).
This hotel's saving grace are the staff, who were excellent - professional, friendly, and very helpful. On arrival, I was too early to check in so left my bags at reception. When I came back, the bags had already been placed in the room - a nice touch. One day I wanted to get some sleep but there was no "do not disturb" sign in the room (apparently they are "on order!"). The kind guy on reception made sure the housekeeping staff did not disturb me, and also hung a home-made sign on my door while I was asleep. I appreciated this very much.
On balance, there are nicer places to stay for this money - on the same dates, my friend was staying in a very stylish boutique hotel on the seafront for only 90 pounds a night, and even got upgraded to an "executive" room, which was far better value and more comfortable than the myhotel at 50 % more.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 22 May 2009

Stayed there for the weekend with my toddler, sister & mam. Staff very friendly, hotel very busy with Hen & stag parties - one party set the fire alarm off at 1am by spraying hairspray into the detectors - not a pleasant experience. Hotel was ok as hotels go but probably not worth the money. Breakfast was a complete disaster with a 4 slice toaster holding up a large q, food wasn't very appealing or varied. The very least we should of received was a fry up for the price of £125p/night or a bit more variety - though my sister did have to wait 35mins for her fry which she later paid £7.50 for. Cocktail prices were ridiculously expensive. In a nutshell you are paying for the bright funky design - you could get better for that price

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank DublinJanie
Reviewed 19 May 2009

I booked 2 nights here for my boyfriends 30th Birthday. I opted for the superior double and booked with laterooms.com. I pre arranged a few Birthday surprises for my boyfriend all of which were delivered with expertise. The front of house staff are probably the best i have ever encountered. Friendly, informative and keen to make you are comfortable as possible. The room was a little smaller than i imagined and in which case i would probably find the standard double a little on the claustrophobic side. The other downside is that our floor to ceiling windows looked right into the office block across the street, who also had floor to ceiling windows so we had to keep our blinds closed at all time. The bar is really lovely and has a really cool LA feel about it. I would rebook and i woulod recommend. Probably not if you are looking for a romantic break, more of a night on the town kind of get away.

Reviewed 18 May 2009

I booked up myhotel as a surprise for my girlfriend's birthday. I was taking a considerable risk, as it was the first time we'd been away together, but as soon as I found it on here, it just felt right.

I should say his up front. If you like your hotels subtle, traditional, all curves and soft lines, myhotel is none of these. It's brash, over-the-top, but at the same time, mesmeric. It's truly unlike anything I'd ever experienced before. The design is extremely bold, yet the friendly and attentive staff at reception immediately welcomed us and put us at ease.

We arrived just before check-in and promptly plonked ourselves down at the bar and had two of Merkaba's finest, the hotel's signature cocktail bar that attracts visitors from all around and buzzes into the early hours.

Feeling a little bit tipsy, we headed upstairs to inspect the rooms. Now. I'm not a man that's too worried about how he looks, but call me old-fashioned, when I go to the toilet, I do like to excuse myself safe in the knowledge that I am the only person that knows whether I'm sitting or standing. Despite some frosting that at best makes unclear whether it's your partner or their twin who's relieving themselves, you are pretty much laid bare to the elements. However, this is all what makes myhotel what it is. An unforgettable experience. Unforgettable in a good way.

Similarly, the shower is thinly veiled by turquoise door that at least steams up a bit when you get going. But as I say, the design is what makes up a large part of what myhotel is all about. It really tickled me and my girlfriend and we still laugh about it now.

I'd booked her in for an Indian head massaged, which she said was very good and after exploring the town, we were drawn back to the bar for some more of its alcholic alchemy. The mytiki combines at least 18 different rums and had me singing and dancing in our room, perfectly complimented by the iPod connection dock, and was as delicious as it was potent. So what if I 'stunk of rum'? I was Fred Astaire. I was Frank Sinatra. I was drunk.

People have said on here that those who want a quiet getaway should stay away and they're not wrong. It is noisy and the bar gets packed, but we slept soundly and were not disturbed on the third floor, except by the cleaners in the morning.

I think it's fair to say we were both very sad to say goodbye to what I think of fondly as not myhotel, but ourhotel. Bewitching and beguiling in equal measure, I look forward to my return.

Reviewed 6 May 2009

I've previously tended to go for smaller, more atmospheric hotels but thought I'd give Myhotel a go as it was one of the only places we could book for one night only on a Bank Holiday weekend.
I would definitely go back again - booked a Superior Extra room - it was huge, extremely well laid out, and while the bed wasn't as big as I'd hoped, the sheets and cushions were incredibly soft and luxurious.

My main quibble was that for a 'quiet room' (it was on the 3rd floor overlooking the library square), you can hear most of the noise from the street and the blind simply do not keep the sun out first thing in the morning.

But overall a luxurious and efficient experience. The hotel is located right next to the Lanes so it makes a perfect brighton base.