“Worst room ever!”

Ranked #13 of 44 Hotels in Brighton
london
“Worst room ever!”
Reviewed 24 July 2009

This was the worst room I have ever stayed in. The room was tiny and the bed was way to small. The 'view' out my window was of the side of the building 6 feet away. The windows don't open and the room made me feel sick. If you're looking for a nice hotel in Brighton, you'd be better served staying elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank mateo49

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (493)
  • Polish first
Sunny Southsea
Reviewed 6 July 2009

Essentially, MyHotel is a Premier Inn on speed. There is no doubt that the surroundings, the rooms and the amenities are funky and fun, but scratch below the surface and it becomes quickly apparent that the funkiness is simply a facade. The fixtures and fittings are cheap and badly built, and although the design is refreshingly cool, it doesn't always work from a practical point of view. Other people have commented on the blind for example, - what is the point of a funky blind that lets in the early morning sun? Having said that, there are plenty of things that did make the visit enjoyable - the location is perfect, being able to plug in our i-pod was a real bonus and the bar is top-notch. The most disappointing thing was that a full English breakfast was not included in the price - at £175 for the night, I thought this was taking a liberty somewhat. Having said all this, if you are looking for somewhere 'different', in a fun and lively part of Brighton, you could do a lot worse than MyHotel.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 July 2009

This place is so ridiculous and over-priced to be believed. It's noisy (largely due to the number of drunken hen nights in the hotel). The rooms are unncomfortable and you can't keep the morning sun from waking at six and it overlooks what passes as a public library, but looks more like a minimum-security prison. The hotel restaurant is not bad, but not great. If you want any privacy in the loo, go elswhere. It's all open plan in there through to the bedroom. The colour scheme also leaves one feeling a bit queasy.

I've stayed in boutique hotels all over the world and this one is just trying way too hard. Brighton is notorious for either seedy hotels or over-priced new entries. Give this one a big miss. In fact, give Brighton a miss. It's become really depressing and tatty.

Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Wudja
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 June 2009

My main reaction on leaving this hotel aftera one night stay was to wonder how stupid they think we are. I mean £129 for a night on a smallish bed, in a room with nowhere to put your clothes and no windows to open - do they really think we'll see that as good value if they just do it all up in a funky design? Surely people aren't that stupid, are they? They'll just go to a Holiday Inn Express or similar where you can get better facilities for just a bit more than half the price.
But then, reading most of the reviews here, I guess people are that stupid.
If you want my advice you won't fall for it. The location is good, the staff are helpful enough, and it is well decorated, but it's a con. I got the final piece of evidence I needed when I bought a rum cocktail in the bar - the menu promised that they'd tried 100 different combinations of rum and curacao to find the perfect blend. That blend involved Woodman's rum, which if you've ever tried it tastes a lot like cheap mouthwash (if you've not tried it, don't).
They're having a laugh at this place - give it a miss.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank alexblyth
South of England
Reviewed 21 June 2009

Stayed mid-week and although we have lived in Sussex for thirty years, we were able to be "real tourists" for a couple of days. Stayed in the Jade studio on the third floor which is such a great room with huge bath, see-through shower and its very own statue which looks in on you. Huge circular bed , large tv and the chance to play your i-pod through the room system. The bar serves great cocktails and the buffet breakfast set us up well for our first ever visit to the spectacular Royal Pavilion. We both loved the professional service, unusual decoration and especially the location which allows you to walk everywhere....forget the car and take the train with the main station being about 10 mins walk away.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 15 June 2009

Really disappointed. Sounds like if you book the larger twins and superior rooms you are ok, but not a standard room.
The showers were great and so was the 'egg light' in the corner which changed colours and was rather soothing. That's about it.
We lived out of our bags...No wardrobes and no drawers. The only space for clothes was the 3 inch rail attached to the large mirror so if you did dare hang anything up you had to take everything down to see yourself! No fridge or minibar and the bathroom was a bit of a joke. Totally open plan with no door, so no privacy whatsoever, the toilet was a
frosted glass door too.
Also the sockets were too close to the shelf so you couldn't actually use them, as couldn't get the plug in!
The only other thing were the windows are locked so no fresh air.
The bed was comfy but the pink throw had a few suspicious marks on so I left in the corner. I know it sounds harsh but it just reminded me of a Holiday Inn Express with a few nicety's.
Staff great, and yes a little funky, but just seemed like they had done everything on the cheap. All the finishings were pretty poor too.
The breakfast was great, staff great and comfortable beds but that's about it.
The valet parking was a real plus point too, but prebook to guarantee space.
A single male traveller for one night or a group of close young friends would enjoy but I wouldn't recommend to anyone else.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with friends
London
Reviewed 8 June 2009

I booked this hotel for a hen party based on all of the great reviews I read on Trip Advisor. I can't stress how much we loved this place; we are all a fairly hard to please bunch when it comes to hotels and restaurants etc but we all agreed that it far exceeded our expectations and was probably one of the best hotels we have ever stayed in. It helped that we got a great price!

I was afraid that the place might be a bit too 'out there' but it's not at all. The hotel itself is beautiful; the decor is young, vibrant and funky. The walls are white but there are splashes of colour everywhere which immediately helps to soften the feel and creates a calming yet warm atmosphere. There are cute touches everywhere too; from coloured lighting to funky artwork - and this also helps to stop the hotel from being too minimalistic.

The rooms are fabulous. We had a twin room on the first floor which was very light and airy - this was vital because our room faced the street and so we had to have our blind closed more often that we would have liked The walls were white and curved contrasted by a pink/purple carpet and bed throw (the colours differ depending on your floor, so can be pink and purple, green and blue or orange). There was also a light set into a little curved hole in corner of the room that changed colour - every room had this and although it may sound tacky it was actually really soothing and / or energising (dependent on the colour!) and was one of our favourite features of the rooms. This can obviously be turned off at night though so don't worry! The beds were extremely comfortable and a good size for a single. The shower and toilet and wash area were in a small area before the beds - we really liked these however note, there is no separate door to this area - the shower and bathroom doors are made from a slightly frosted type of glass and because of this you could see the silhouette of the person in both - much to our amusement! You certainly need to be comfortable with the other person if you choose to stay here!

The rooms were also really sound-proofed - we barely heard much street noise and we never heard our neighbours once.

I didn't notice the lack of bedroom storage as we were only there for a few nights, but the wardrobes were a sufficient size and whilst there were no drawers, there was a shelf in the wardrobe which was perfectly suitable for all non-hangng items. I could maybe see this causing problems if you were staying for a week or two.

We stayed as part of the B&B package - the food was great and the service excellent. The staff were only to happy to help and service was with a smile! (note however, the cooked breakfast costs an extra £4.50).

Other staff around the hotel were equally as helpful and friendly. This includes the reception area and the bar staff who made us fabulous cocktails - in fact the bar is a must see, it's spacious, funky and very modern and when we came back to the hotel around 1am after a night-out, it was very lively and a great place for a night-cap or no doubt more.

Overall, we loved our stay and I can honestly say that we will all definitely stay here again when we re-visit Brighton - I simply can't imagine staying anywhere else!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with friends