“Totes amaze”
Review of Motel Schmotel

Motel Schmotel
Ranked #36 of 95 Brighton B&B and Inns
Reviewed 19 April 2012

Brilliant breakfasts which took us way past lunch. Really friendly and ideal for our two day family visit. We took two rooms with our 13 and 15 year old children in one and us in the other (the beds were especially comfortable). There was plenty of space and we felt very at home. Ideal location too. We will be back.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 17 April 2012

I kind of new before booking room was small but WOW! It was tiny. Main gripe was en-suite. I kid you not it was the size of a wardrobe. When sat on loo the sink is inches from your face and you can touch your elbows on both walls without lifting you arms much at all. Cleanliness was poor, I found used sachet of personal lube under the bed! Someone had a good time! General condition of place was bad, wires coming out of trunking, toilet seat fell off, windows poorly painted and difficult to shut. On the plus side bed was super comfy and breakfast was superb.

• Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank mark77woody
motelschmotel, Owner at Motel Schmotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2012

May I first apologise if you did not enjoy your stay however are glad you enjoyed your comfy bed and super breakfast.
In response to the negativities, I would like to point out that we have 11 rooms of which 3 are small. The other rooms are bigger as are the en suites.
When you checked out (during my 1st hour back!) and mentioned the toilet seat I told you that I had just spent a month in and out of hospital with a broken wrist, which I still can’t use. I apologised about the fact that Amsy had been running the guesthouse single handed for a minimum of 12 hours everyday without a break and therefore did not have a full handle on maintenance.
Before the accident we were already struggling with no staff as a key member left us very suddenly with others away on booked annual leave – we appreciate that this should not be a concern for our guests but I thought it important to point out that for the past month Amsy has been cooking, serving, cleaning, dealing with admin and checking guests in & out pretty much on her own to the point of physical exhaustion.
I understand that people expect a service and my wife has worked herself to exhaustion to provide this – her doctor had strongly advised her to be signed off due to the stress and a bad chest infection on top of it all, which of course has not been a possibility. Being human she has only been able to do her best.
There is an apology to all guests at the base of the stairs regarding the wires, which are for the Freeview boxes that had to be installed in most rooms to cope with the change over to digital. This Amsy did to the best of her ability on the day after my accident whilst I was still in A&E. We are now correcting the wire situation.
Regarding the lube, this is purely an oversight – had something else been found under the bed I’m sure it would have not caused such a stir. I think it unfair that the level of cleanliness generally has been slated due to an item (whatever that item may be is irrelevant really) was found under the bed.
To round up, the simple fact that there are not more reviews like this proves that this is an isolated incident due to the fact that Amsy has been running the hotel single handed for the past month with no staff.

Reviewed 13 April 2012

Great location and a perfect location for a one night stay to celebrate my wife's birthday in the Lanes. The breakfast was superb and although we chose a small double it was extremely comfortable and just right for a short stay. We faced Sussex heights and never heard a sound ! I would say it was excellent value for money and would much prefer to stay here again rather than a large sterile hotel chain.

Reviewed 11 April 2012

Motel Schmotel is a lovely B&B with friendly service :)

Despite rubbish weather, had a great time and breakfast is to die for, one of the many highlights of the stay.

Would highly recommend to friends and family, and I will be back again!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 April 2012

Hits:
Location - Perfect. Seafront - 1 min walk. The Lanes - 5 min walk. North Laines 15 min walk.
Breakfast - Awesome...best we have ever had anywhere (don't be afraid to ask for menu 'tweaks').
Owners - Very friendly and helpful.

Misses:
No fresh milk after day 1
Never got out towels changed, despite following 'instructions'
Very Very small room & microscopic bathroom
Overpriced

Tips:
Park with Malcolm at Regency Mews (cheapest secure parking in all of Brighton)
Get a front facing room (Sussex Heights at rear is very noisy!)

Room Tip: Get a front facing room (Sussex Heights at rear is very noisy!)
1  Thank Hal_Chase
Reviewed 6 April 2012

Having never been to Brighton I did what you're doing, read reviews. Deciding on Motel Schmotel my wife and I arrived with great expectations. We were not disappointed. It's Ideal quiet location, near to the beach & shopping area, make it a great base. After a short stroll from Brighton Station, we were welcomed by Amys. As we were a little early, she welcomed us, explained our location with the help of a map & guide and gave us our keys. She took our luggage and we set off to explore. Returning early evening our luggage was in our room along with fresh milk, iced water & a choccy bar each, as well as tea & coffee. We had room 10(with the bath). We filled in the breakfast slip and left it on our door. The option of Breakfast in Bed is a great touch. Breakfast was Sooo nice. I had the sausage, bacon, egg, roast cherry tom's and homefries with toast from homemade bread, my wife had porridge with maple syrup & fresh fruit....despite the wide range of other choices it was so nice we had the same again the next morning. Our room was comfortable(great bed) with flatscreen TV and freeview. Mini fridge, DVD's available. Amys & Paul clearly care about their customers, nothing is too much trouble. Location, Comfort, food & Host's...Motel Schmotel has it all. Enjoy..!!!

Reviewed 5 April 2012

Stayed recently - we had a top floor room. The room was clean, the hosts delightful though my companion was mightily disturbed by the dog in the kitchen, I can't say it bothered me (as a pet owner).

I didn't sleep well, but that was likely because I had to move from top to the bottom of the bed because the window (single glazed) was very, very draughty even with the blind shut. I knew I would have been bothered by it so settled settled upsidedown! We also had to turn the mini fridge off because of the hum.

Nice selection of tea and coffee and how lovely to have fresh milk instead of the plastic pots. 5 star for that touch alone.

The 'bathroom' again nice and clean - but not for larger people; tis very pokey.

Good location. Great hosts. Nice tea.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
motelschmotel, Owner at Motel Schmotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2012

Thank you for your review, we always take peoples views on board to improve wherever possible.
However, I just wanted to make it clear to any others reading this review that our dog is never onsite during breakfast and most certainly not allowed to roam around the kitchen whilst we are serving food.
With regards to the window - unfortunately being a litsted building we are unable to do anything about the single glazing nor the windy coastal weather!
Im glad that otherwise you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to looking after you again sometime in the future in one of our largher rooms perhaps.