“Not perfect”
Review of Motel Schmotel

Motel Schmotel
Ranked #34 of 94 Brighton B&B and Inns
Reviewed 27 August 2014 via mobile

Me and my fiancé stayed for one night (seeing Lee Evans in the night time). We were warmly welcomed when we arrived. The room was small, but adequate for one nights stay. I was pleased and happy with the little things that were in the room (penguin bars). I slept ok, but my fiancé did not sleep as good (she was on the side of the bed by the door and she said that she was getting a draft from the door). My breakfast the next day was good, the coffee though was cold (as well as my fiancés tea). All in all I am fairly happy with the stay (my fiancé is less happy with the stay than me though)

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 26 August 2014

I don't usually leave reviews, mainly because I have pleasant stays and agree with previous reviews that have been left but on this occasion I feel that I need to share my experience. This was a terrible experience for me from start to finish. I have stayed in numerous hotels and bed and breakfasts throughout the country and have never been so disappointed. Like you are doing now, before I booked to stay here I read the reviews and they suggested this place was going to be ok. This was not the case. I arrived at the hotel and rang the bell to get in. No one came to the door and I noticed there was a sign saying that they could not always hear the bell so I called the mobile number given. Eventually a lady came and let us in. I paid my bill at the reception (a desk at the side of the kitchen) and was handed my key. I was not given any details of where my room was, the fire escapes or any other health and safety. I struggled up the stairs with my bags and found my room. On first impressions I could only describe it as a box room. There was barely enough room to manoeuvre around the bed let along get changed etc. I opened two wardrobe doors to hang my clothes up and was shocked to see that this was in fact the en-suite. This has to be the smallest en-suite you will ever see. The shower is a tiny square and the room is no wider than the shower basin itself. If you above an average size then you will not fit in this shower!! There are instructions on a photo frame as to how to adjust the temperature on the shower. Unfortunately this did not work. I had my shower on the coolest temperature I could get and it still left me with bright red skin and sores. A very unpleasant experience. There was a very small TV on the side (you would need your magnifying glasses to be able to see it from the bed) but the remote was nowhere to be found. The TV was also on sleep mode so every 10 minutes you have to get up and press a button to stop it going into standby. The room has basic tea and coffee making facilities but all of which are loose in jars which I felt was unhygienic. The small corner wardrobe had an old pair of tights in it and there was also some litter under the bed. The bed covers themselves had a few stains on them so cleanliness was clearly not a priority. The room had a balcony which consisted of a piece of metal hanging from the wall. And yes I mean hanging. There is a ladder that takes you down to the ground floor and then you are able to walk straight from your hanging balcony across the rooftops. There is no barriers or health and safety to stop you falling from the rooftop or to stop intruders entering. There was a lot of litter dumped on the rooftops. Sleeping was near on impossible as the walls were paper thin. I heard snoring all night long! The water pipes also ran alongside my wall so everytime someone used the shower or flushed the toilet it sounded like the whole building was caving in. The area the hotel is in is rough. There are homeless people staying in tents opposite and very dodgy characters hanging about in the evening. When I returned to the hotel at night a homeless person had managed to get into the hotel and was sleeping in the corridor. I felt quite scared by this point. There is no security whatsoever at this place. Throughout your stay you are told to call a mobile number if you have any problems as the owners do not stay at the hotel, instead they have a live in manager who doesn't actually have the authority to make any decisions. Whenever I called this number there was no answer. When I requested for the owner to speak to me all I received was text messages in reply. Very unprofessional. I managed to speak with the owner after countless requests to and the owner was more worried about missing her sailing trip than dealing with her business. She was unhelpful, rude, condescending, patronising and had no business skills or communication skills whatsoever. I requested a refund for my second night as I did not stay but am still waiting for this. I would suggest the owner use my money to attend a few courses in dealing with people and providing customer service. Avoid staying here at all costs. There are some lovely hotels nearby that might actually appreciate your custom and treat you with a bit of respect!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a bit of floor space and soundproof walls or better still stay elsewhere.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
18  Thank Hayley W
Reviewed 26 August 2014 via mobile

Paid £100 per night for what I can only describe as the pokiest room at the back of the house with stunning views of a car park and multi-storey block of flats. Service was abominable. Disgraceful in fact. The owner cares so little for this place that she's never there and seems to begrudge dealing with any issues face-to-face, preferring a lazy and cowardly 'text message' communication instead. Absolutely shocking - never seen a business run in this way before and hope I don't ever again. Room was average to say the most, shower was tiny and had two settings - both incurring third degree burns. Breakfast arrived freezing. I'm still waiting for a refund for my second night's stay in this hell hole, although I doubt I'll ever receive it. Owner seems to only care about the money-making side of this business and puts nothing into the service side. Would benefit from taking a hospitality course. Take my advice and take your money elsewhere and stay in one of the many other decently priced guesthouses in Brighton and you won't regret it.

• Stayed: August 2014
Reviewed 25 August 2014

Location of this cute establishment is good, just a couple of blocks from the main shopping area heading up hill or ditto downhill to the sea front.
Service was friendly and helpful and breakfast was exceptional with a few choices. Rooms were clean with comfortable bedding and had complimentary soap/shampoo as well as tea/coffee and daily penguin biscuits, also free wifi.
However, we were in a small double on the top floor, up quite a few flights of stairs, and although quiet, we did find the room (7) particularly the 'ensuite' very small indeed, almost to the point of impractical. Would suggest it more suited as a single and certainly not for the larger person.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 August 2014

Mixed experince.
Goodthings:
Great location
Very clean rooms and the whole place
Friendly staff
Breakfast with gluten free option available
Cute decorations,especially the dinning room

Not sure I would recommend it for someone with a small child, the beds are very high and there is nothing to proctect a child from falling out from bed, my niece age 3 fell out and knocked a lamp (no injuries, but it was an effort to check on her and catch her and meant reduced sleep for the adult in the room to keep an eye).

Also, the room upstairs no 9, which was normal size according to the prices was actually tiny, the bigger rooms are what I would consider standard b and b size with very small but nice bathrooms. Room 9 is tiny and bathroom is actually too small to be practical, someone who is overweight might not fit into a shower (it is a warderobe tured into bathroom). The downstairs room with a tub looks nice, I would go for that next time.

Room Tip: Choose bigger room, if you are with a small child, consider a different accomodation. Room 1 can...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank bg1981
Reviewed 14 August 2014 via mobile

Lovely little Motel with everything you need!! The breakfast was yummy and the staff can't do enough for you, you can have it in bed if you like!!. We were in room 1 which was right by the front door so was slightly noisy in the morning. The bathroom is tiny but it does the job and was fine for the night!

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Arrived at this hotel to a warm welcome and very helpful staff. Explanation of facilities and breakfast was informative.
Our room was on the ground floor and whilst small was comfortable and included some really nice touches, such as proper tea/coffee facilities (not packets) and free fresh milk available from the breakfast room; a large bottle of water (replenished); some sweeties and a toiletries.
the bed was comfortable and the room spotlessly clean. I would say that room fans would be a benefit as the rooms could get very hot in summer weather.
We liked the workable 'wardrobe' built into the mirrors with shelving and there was also some very informative literature.
Breakfast choice was very good with a vegetarian/vegan choice and the coffee was excellent, obviously freshly made; we enjoyed our breakfasts, just enough to set you up for the day.
The staff were very friendly over the whole weekend.
A definite stay again when next in Brighton.
Highly recommended.