“A step above the local competition”
Review of Motel Schmotel

Motel Schmotel
Ranked #35 of 95 Brighton B&B and Inns
Reviewed 8 December 2009

First thing's first - despite the name, this is a hotel or B&B, not a motel! That's in its favour. So, too, are the quirky touches such as the white board in the hall for guests to leave comments, the blackboard with the weather forecasts, and the original artwork throughout the place. Great breakfast, served in your room or the breakfast room (who wouldn't want it in bed?) and I must say it's a quiet place to stay.
It's not perfection, though (few hotels in Brighton are). I'm going to be picky because to read the reviews, you'd think this place was beyond improvement. There's big play about the 'award winning breakfast' and it IS good, but concentrated orange juice lets it down. So does the fact you have to decide the night before (by 10pm) exactly what you'll eat and what time you'll eat it and where. I stayed in a double room as a single occupant, but to be honest I'd have had a very different experience had we been staying as a couple - it was very small for a double - and a very tight shower room with no room in the shower for someone of a larger frame. However, it was immaculate, the bed clothes were crisp and pure white, and the shower pressure quite good (a good test of a hotel I think!).
One other small criticism. When i called to book, the owner said they were ina restaurant and would call me back, which they did but I missed the call so had to call them back again. I said I'd be checking in around 5.30 but that's when they feed their children so I might need to let myself in so when nearby perhaps I could call for an update. A text arrived on the morning with further instructions and when I called 10 minutes away, was told my key was on the back of the door! All this is fine, but hoteliers need to realise the work needs to be on them not the guest. I found this messing around all a bit fussy and irritating on an already busy day. Is it really too much to ask that the hotelier is there to let you in and check you're happy with the room?
So yes, it's a good hotel and a step above many local rivals (especially in this part of Brighton). For the money, it's a good deal but it suits someone of a chilled disposition, not someone who rates service above some other considerations. I'd stay again, it does give the impression of being a hobby rather than a lifestyle.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled on business

Reviewed 8 November 2009

Great service from lovely people, fun funky décor, good breakfast. Not far from the action in Brighton and a lovely building in a quiet area. I've already recommended it to my colleagues.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 November 2009

We thoroughly enjoyed our weekend break at Motel Schmotel. Although the room we stayed in was a bit small it was clean and had everything we needed and the breakfast in bed was a bonus! The owners are friendly and the place has a warm feeling about it. We absolutely love Brighton and the B & B is situated perfectly for shopping and the beach. I would definitely stay there again and have already recommended it to a friend!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 October 2009

We stayed for 2 nights at Motel Schmotel in September and cannot recommend it enough. It’s very central, but in a nice quiet square just off the beaten track. It’s about a ten minute walk from the station and just 5 minutes to the beach and shopping area’s.
The room was spotless and very well designed. The bathroom is quite small, but it’s adequate and modern.
The owners were just lovely, very friendly and knowledgeable about the area. They also provide a fantastic breakfast, just amazing! The best I’ve ever had! We’ll definitely stay here again if we return to Brighton.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 October 2009

Great guesthouse! Good breakfast, fantastic location (unbelievably quiet considering how central), very good value for money, lovely warm helpful welcome, clean, warm, funky room. Yes it was 'bijoux' but I was spending the night not moving in. Thoroughly recommended. Oh and DVD players in the rooms!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 9 October 2009

Our double room was small, but had everything we needed (including fresh milk and Penguins), and was definitely big enough for two full grown men to wallow in their unexpected hangovers until 2pm on a sunny Saturday.

Amsy was very welocming upon our arrival and was happy to to offer suggestions of things to see and do. The breakfast in bed was fantastic, especially on hangover day, and the fish finger sandwich was a delight.

They do have a parking space available outside, which I think costs £8 per day, but book it early if you need it. We used the Russell Street NCP which, although at bit pricey at £15 per 24 hours, was very handy and just round the corner.

A wonderful and funky little B&B right in the centre of Brighton, would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 October 2009

i would book to stay here again if I was going to be staying in Brighton. It has a lovely feel to the place and the owners/staff are very friendly. I already know Brighton fairly well, but when booking in there was information about the area easily available.
It was nice to have the opportunity to have breakfast in bed each morning, the food was lovely and everything needed was provided.
The room was clean and practical. The only down side was the small en-suite, you had to be careful when moving around it so that the doors didn't swing wide open, as there wasn't any way of locking them for privacy!!!
The situation of Motel Schmotel was also a bonus. It is easy to get in town and to have a wander along the seafront.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple