“Don't bother staying if you want any sleep!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Grapevine Seafront

The Grapevine Seafront
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Don't bother staying if you want any sleep!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2012

Just got back from an awesome trip to Brighton which would have been vastly improved if I'd actually managed to sleep in this grim place. I gave stayed at the grapevine north laine before, which was fantastic in comparison to this place, so I was shocked when I saw the state of it. The room was dingy and dirty, he beds were very uncomfortable, the radiator didn't actually work (in December!!), the window didn't close so there was a constant icy breeze and the shower was filthy and didn't work properly. If you want to sleep in this place I suggest going out and drinking first because sleeping here sober is impossible due to the noise coming from outside, the 24 hour cafe downstairs is continuously noisy and full of drunk people shouting. Next time I stay in Brighton I will pick the North laine grapevine, or just pay extra fora Travelodge.

• Stayed December 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2012

Perfect if you just want a bed to sleep in. The bunk beds arent the best and the showers arent that great, but its doesnt matter if you are in Brighton to party most of the time. You are in the centre all the best clubs and right on the beach. You might not get a seaview but if you walk downstairs and out of the door, you are on the beach!!! People who complain about the Grapevine forget they've pad £30 a night.... Stop moaning and go to the Hilton..You get what you pay for, its "budget" after all!!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Leannable
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2012

The website says "Our seafront building overlooks the sea with fantastic views of both piers." So of course I was excited because I wanted a cheap place with ocean views. Definitlely not ocean views. It's my fault for believing I would have great views at that price, but see my pictures to see our view: a backside of a building covered in pidgeon poop. In addition, the window had one broken lock and was accessible by many fire escapes, so anyone could've broken in at any time.

This place is asking to get robbed. There was a lock on the outside of the door covered with glass next to a little hammer that said "break in case of emergencies." Or basically, break this glass and help yourself to all my belongings in the room.

The room was tiny, the beds uncomfortable, I didn't even bother showering as the bathroom was disgusting. I was really afraid I was going to get robbed in the middle of the night. Instead, a group of loud, obnoxious partyers entered the hallway at 3 in the morning, one of the girls starting crying loudly about some boy drama, fell over because she was so drunk, which caused her friends to rush over yelling "are you okay?" I know that's not entirely the hostels fault, but they need to be more strict about curfew or quiet times.

When the front desk closes, it is almost impossible to get help from anyone. We went to the main area and knocked on the door a couple times. Finally a grumpy, sketchy-looking man answered and rudly asked what we wanted. When we asked if the hostel provided free wi-fi, he rolled his eyes, motioned for us to come in, and thrust a piece of paper with the wi-fi information at us.

Everything was just horrible about this hostel - poor service, horrible location, rooms were dirty, just awful. Do not go here...not even if you are on a budget...there are other places you can stay that would be much nicer.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank AlexisDorn

Travellers are raving about these Brighton hotels

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2012 via mobile

Just got back from a weekend in Brigton and my first stay at the Grapevine, which I can assure you will be my last.

I understand when staying in a hostel you get what you pay for, but for £35 pppn I was expecting more. A summary of the issues:

1. Room painfully small and dingy, two bunk beds packed in and nothing else.

2. Tiny shower which did not work properly, again, absolutely tiny with no room to move.

3. Hostel building itself stank and was filthty.

4. Biggest issue for me is the restaurant directly below our 1st floor room (room 3). Buddies is a 24 hours cafe and is very busy all night long with hungry, well watered clubbers, stag party's etc. The noise is terrible and due to the fact the tiny rooms get so hot, you have to have the wondow open, so subsequently you get little to no sleep. By the time it does dip off a bit, the morning traffic starts and the breakfast crowd comes in.

In short, I was totally unimpressed with the Grapevine hostel and would seriously suggest to others to be mindful when booking to stay there. Pay a little more and get a hotel - the Travellodge in West Street is like a palace compared to this.

• Stayed July 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2012

Great for travelling on a budget. The rooms were basic but suited us as we only slept there. The location was perfect and we had a seaview as well as an ensuite. The rooms and showers were clean. Staff friendly and gave good advice and directions. The only thing to be aware about is parking, took me about a half hour to find a parking space in Brighton. Overall myself and the 11 others enjoyed our weekend in Brighton and shall be returning in the near future.

Room Tip: If your driving, might be best to look on the internet for cheap parking in the area.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank SimonSedgewick06
Southampton, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2012

what can I say that you don't already know, stay here and you will catch either, aids, herpes or the plague. Rooms are small, showers don't work, staff rob from you, great location though but i'd rather stay in North Korea and commute

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank EnglishAdam
stevejohnsonwork, Manager at The Grapevine Seafront, responded to this review, 26 March 2012
The basis of this review is untrue and inflammatory. There is no record police or otherwise of this person being burgled whilst staying here and factually you do not get any of the diseases he has described from a hostel bedroom.
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2012

We recently stayed at the Grapevine Seafront for New Years Eve... We booked the hostel as somewhere cheap to sleep for a few hours after a late night!! After reading the previous reviews we were nervous as to what it'd be like. Ok, It's not up to hotel standards but that's exactly what you should expect... You get what you pay for! The rooms were clean, staff were extremely polite and very helpful, and the location is spot on! We were on the top floor so didn't hear any noise. We had an amazing weekend and all said we'd return to the Grapevine when we next visit Brighton.

Room Tip: Rooms 12/14...View of the Seafront and Brighton Pier and no noise!
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends