“disappointed”

The Tea Cosy
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Had been looking forward to our visit but was very disappointed.we had booked but was greeted by a sullen face staff member that seemed surprised to see us on opening.the sandwiches where bland and frankly I make better for my grandchildren.I had cheese and chutney,was two slices of poor quality white bread,no garnish.scones were tasteless.we were left alone for the duration of our stay apart from having a top of for the tea.as I only had sandwiches and a scone was told I didn't get a top up.my friends that had the hi tea could.waitress very unfriendly .£32 for something that we could have made ourselves from shopping at the supermarket at a fraction of that.very dissapointed

2  Thank pamelaaaaaaaa

Reviewed 17 July 2014

Visited the Tea cosy today, very disappointed after reading reviews on here. We had the full afternoon tea, ,The sandwiches were cucumber sandwiches and coronation chicken, the bread seemed to be cheap value bread. The scones were tasteless and bland, there was no clotted cream just cheaper whipped cream. The best thing was the pate and toast, and the small cheese biscuit.
All served on a muddle of odd cups, saucers and plates.
The waitress was not at all welcoming, I actually think customers were a nuisance to her. Luckily we were there an hour and a half and no other customers came in.
The cluttered walls, with pictures, trays and yes a toilet seat did not seem clean, a good dusting was needed.
i have had much nicer or less money.
Would not recommend, I think they are trading on past experiences with different staff.

1  Thank susans331
Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

I found the place cosy and comfy but just too much 'stuff'. Tea cups and tatty old newspapers and even a toilet seat hanging from the ceiling. It just all felt a bit grubby. But the tea and cake was reasonable (if a little over-priced) but then this is Brighton after all.
Not bad, just needs a bit of a de-clutter.

1  Thank FlashHarryDobbs
Reviewed 21 June 2014

Came here for tea during a hen weekend. Eccentric decor and lovely staff. I had a salted caramel scone which was a revelation to me. Wouldn't hesitate to recommend.

1  Thank GeekGirl_Klo
Reviewed 26 April 2014 via mobile

Second visit and still a friendly and charming establishment. Refreshing and top notch tea. We ordered perfectly cooked boiled eggs and soldiers and boy did we get them. From the first spoonful we knew these were amongst some of the best eggs we had experienced. It's a great place. Go.