“Could not have asked for a better hotel!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Downs Hotel

The Downs Hotel
Ranked #81 of 97 Brighton B&B and Inns
“Could not have asked for a better hotel!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2014

My friend and I recently stayed at The Downs Hotel and at a glance we were very happy. We walked into the very welcoming, friendly bar/pub and was greeted by friendly staff. The rooms were spotless and the decor was beautiful. We were both very happy with the rooms and the price, then the following day the breakfast just topped our stay. We will definately be returning soon and I have recomended this hotel to my family and friends

Room Tip: The four poster bed rooms I feel were the best
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Alana1985

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2014

Reasonably Priced especially to say where it is located, Good Hospitality and the rooms are of a fair to good quality and nice and clean, Breakfast is Excellent and the landlady is good looking which always helps, I would certainly stop here again

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Sigarfo2014
Orpington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2014

I liked everything about this short stay: pleasant welcoming, brilliant food in the evening, good beer, warm room(although quite small) and wonderful English breakfast done just right. And everything for a very reasonable price.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Brighton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2013

booked this for somewhere to crash on a lads night out in Brighton and price was the overriding factor. Room was not bad, clean and spacious. However, the hotel has a separate toilet and bathroom upstairs - neither of which you could lock the door! The toilets downstairs - again had no locks let alone broken locks!! The local bar is a proper spit and sawdust type place. I think the best way to describe it is a large bunch of adolescent morons play fighting, swearing, shouting - certainly not a family bar. There is another bar which is more tame but to avoid going through the play centre for grown ups, you need to go outside and use another door!
Not sure why people are raving about the breakfast here? It was adequate. 1 egg, 2 smallish sausages, 1 bacon, half a tomato, 5 mushroom pieces and a teaspoon of beans. toast if you want it. It was nice, but nothing special. Coffee was rank.
Would I stay here again? maybe, but only in the same scenario of a lads night out - I would certainly never bring my children here.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view room - may take the pain away from anything you are not happy about!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
marilobrighton, Owner at The Downs Hotel, responded to this review, 28 January 2014
Hello,
Firstly may we thank you for taking the time to review us, as a family run business all feedback is very important.
We were concerned about your comment on the locks not working, therefore we checked them and they are working, like the rooms they have a button in the centre of the handle that you push in and twist to lock, we are sorry, this should have been explained to you.
We are very disappointed that you feel we are a spit and sawdust establishment as this is certainly far from where we perceive ourselves to be. The night you came in we had a crowd of youngsters from the university celebrating, we are sorry that this has given you a bad impression as this is not a regular occurrence.
We do have one bar as adults only, and a smaller snug bar sectioned off from the restaurant which is a quiet place to relax.
Breakfast is usually raved about, so its a shame you felt it wasn't enough we would have been more than happy to have offered you more or something different. Thanks to your comments though you have given us the idea to rewrite the menu to say that guests are welcome to have double ups and extras just to ask.
Thank you again for your review.

Travellers are raving about these Brighton hotels

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2013

Great value for money and had parking - which is so difficult to find in/near Brighton. On the plus side the rooms are clean, nice comfy beds and good linen. As others have commented on a brilliant breakfast! Staff were really professional and helpful.
If you are a light sleeper you might be bothered by the road outside as the windows arent double glazed.
However, just to make others booking here aware that this is a pub with a great restaurant, but also a bar/ pool area that does play music until closing time at the weekend. Also it is often used as a park and ride for football fans at Brighton. Yesterday was fixture night and I was in a cheaper room with shared bathroom. As a result had the 'joy' of being kept awake for much of the night by rowdy drunk fans arriving home, shouting and laying in the corridor and leaving their wet towels on the floor of the shared bathroom. This behavior isn't the fault of the pub, and I did hear someone telling them to be quiet when they arrived loudly at 3.30 am (not sure if that was the staff). I eventually had to go out and get them to go to bed - the staff weren't policing the corridor and I didn't know how to find one to help. Was also a bit of a revelation to see a thong hanging from one of the optics in the bar when we went down for breakfast!
We are all in our 30's and didn't have children there for a short break so we could take it on the chin for the price.
So its hard to rate it - Average for accommodation, poor for my nights sleep I am afraid. Wouldn't stay again on a fixture / Friday / sat night I don't think, though it was a bargain but now I think I know why !

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2013

My son and I stayed just one night to be close to overcrowded Lewes, on bonfire night. We checked in and were very pleasantly surprised to be shown by a friendly young man, to a roomy twin, with views of the Sea in the distance. It was clean, nicely decorated with fresh contemporary bed linen, and everything worked! We had shared facilties, and again, everything was clean and functioned effectively. The shower could have been a little stronger,but it was good enough. We returned quite late, and the pub below was quiet, not at all an intrusion. Breakfast next day was promptly served by a very nice lady, and we ate more than should have! As we checked out we were asked if all had been well, and I mentioned that my only issue was that my mattress could have been a bit better quality. I was thanked for my feedback and reasured that the mattress would be tested immediately and upgraded if found to be a problem. We really did have a lovely night at the Downs Hotel and I would happily stay there again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Cambridge, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2013

I travelled down on Monday 28 October 2013 with my 17 year old son. We checked in, ordered a drink and was then told that we had to relocate to a different area of the hotel as under 18s weren't allowed in this particular bar - the reason given was to 'protect them from the dangers of alcohol'! The only difference between the two areas was that one had a pool table in it!

We moved reluctantly to the other area and were then told he would not be able to be in either bar after 9pm. Only after some locals intervened was he allowed to remain after the 9pm watershed!

The room was basic, the windows rattled and the shower was a mix of boiling hot to freezing cold water which alternated frequently.

The one good thing was the breakfast! Avoid this place like the plague....

Room Tip: Go somewhere else!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family