“Good if you are just looking to crash. Not good for spending time in room.”
Review of The Downs Hotel

The Downs Hotel
Ranked #71 of 94 Brighton B&B and Inns
“Good if you are just looking to crash. Not good for spending time in room.”
Reviewed 21 May 2014

Staff were lovely, friendly and welcoming. Room clean and adequate as was shared bathroom.
However as it's above a pub very very loud. Massive argument outside my window at closing time. Road very loud.
Chef was off for the night so no food.
I would stay here if I was going on night out in Brighton and just needed a crash pad.
Hotel is popular with work men etc which is where most of the income comes from. Due to this the pub has not been given much TLC and lacked character. Beer garden crap grass long. Benches filthy.
If the place had been given some TLC it could be made into something fab.
The good thing was that it was cheap but I won't be back I m afraid.

• Stayed May 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Newhaven, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 April 2014

I emailed the following complaint, didn't have a response after a few days, so chased it, still have never had a response:

Dear Sir/Madam

I am writing to complain about a cooked breakfast we had with you.

My wife and I decided to come in for a cooked "slap-up" breakfast with you as we were travelling right the day through the day on Valentine's Day, so weren't able to go out for a meal in the evening as we were with family in Wales.

We arrived at approximately 9am and and both had a cooked full English (we had different ones, but I can't remember what they were actually called), and all I can say is that we were extremely disappointed by the quality of the food and the service provided, to whit:

1) The baked beans were cold
2) The crockery was chipped
3) The tea was weak
4) The staff were abrupt, if not rude (a lady with short hair) - I felt like I was asking her to donate a kidney when I asked for some extra bread!
5) My orange juice did not arrive until the staff were reminded, at which point I had virtually finished my breakfast - to my mind it should arrive before the main breakfast, or at least with it
6) The toast was burned
7) The restaruant was cold

We did not complain on the day as, so far as was possible, this was our Valentines meal, and we did not want to spoil that. We also had a 6.5 hour journey ahead of us, so did not have the time.

I would appreciate your thoughts on how you will recompense this poor service and quality.

Yours sincerely,
Andrew Harvey

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AndrewJHarvey1

Travellers are raving about these Brighton hotels

abu dhabi
Reviewed 12 April 2014

I stayed at the Downs Hotel for 3 nights - Fri to Mon. In my opinion, it does not deserve all the negative reviews. I wondered what I was going to be faced with when I arrived after reading some of the reviews. However, I was pleasantly surprised. There was a warm welcome upon arrival, and the barman/receptionist carried my case up to my room without my even having to ask him. My single ensuite room (no. 8) had a cosy feel, was clean and appeared to have been fairly recently decorated. The bed was comfortable and there was almost no noise - although I don't think there was any football supporters staying that weekend! There was plenty of storage space, hangers, and tea/coffee making facilities. The shower was a bit small, but perfectly adequate. Some said the rooms were cold - I found the room a bit too warm and had to turn off the radiator and open the window. The room overlooked the 'garden' at the back, so no traffic noise either. Breakfast was huge - yes, you can nitpick on details, but I couldn't find much fault except in the coffee, which wasn't wonderful, so I had tea the next two mornings. I tried both the 'Full English' and the 'Continental' and in both cases I couldn't even eat half. In fact, there was as much ham and cheese on my plate for the continental breakfast, as I usually buy in my twice weekly shop!

I wasn't that keen on the pub but I wasn't staying at the pub but the hotel! It was very reasonable in price and handy for the bus into Brighton. All in all I would definitely recommend this hotel and will almost certainly stay there again.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are quieter.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank dupeyabu
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 April 2014

My partner and I arrived tuesday afternoon on a lovely day and had no problem parking. We were greeted with a warm welcome and shown to our room right away. Lovely bright room with everything you need. Very warm at night, comfortable sleep and had en-suite with a hot shower. The floor of our room was rather squeaky, which didn't bother us as such, but did cause us to concern about those around or underneath us. (There wasn't a view from our room as we faced the carpark, but we didn't go there to go gazing out the window, so we weren't fazed by this at all.)
Although above a pub, it did shut by 11pm, so no problem with any noise. In the morning we had a choice of breakfast which was included in the price of our room, we chose to go for the full english and was not disappointed. Very delicious. Had it with a very well made cup of tea too :)
We were thanked upon leaving and given a very friendly farewell.
For us it was everything we needed. A comfortable nights sleep and friendly service with good food. Will definitely stay again.
Location was great too, only a 20 minute bus journey to the sea front. Bus stop was across the road from the pub too which was rather handy.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jo A
Berkshire
Reviewed 31 March 2014

Stayed here 1st March with my two daughters following a great evening seeing the Overtones at Brighton Dome :). It's a straightforward pub with ample parking. We booked a room for three but were kindly given a room for four so we all had our own bed; four-poster double and two singles. The room was comfortable, warm, decent bathroom, tv. Looked onto the main road but that was no problem. There is a bus stop right across the road & the bus takes you into Brighton centre. The cab back was 12 pound, after midnight & about 15/20 minutes so happy with that. Lovely breakfast in the morning. The staff we encountered were all pleasant & helpful. This hotel was just right for our visit & I would stay again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank srms
Gloucester
Reviewed 17 March 2014

Just got back from a good weekend at the Downs Hotel. Food and service were excellent - my friend Mandy and I were taken to our rooms straight away. We had a really good portion of fish and chips in the bar there when we arrived on Friday. Breakfast was excellent - cereals, toast, fruit juices, coffee or tea and 7 other items (tomatoes, mushrooms, bacon, eggs, hash browns, beans and a sausage) included in the full English breakfast - better than another hotel I stayed at last year. The pub has a nice relaxed atmosphere with good views over the Downs to the sea on a clear day. Rooms were really clean and everything in the rooms was in perfect working order. Slept well on 2 out of the 3 nights. Only down sides - shouting and banging from other residents particularly on Saturday night when I was kept awake until 3 am, also shouting and swearing from other residents on Friday night around 8.00 p.m. Also was kept awake a little by traffic. Would just like to politely request that in order to accommodate families with children that it could have a no swearing policy upstairs and that if people go to bed late or come in late from pubs elsewhere that noise upstairs be kept down to a minimum.

Room Tip: For want of a perfect night's sleep ask for a room not overlooking the road.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Falmouth
Reviewed 2 March 2014

do not go there! 1st room was so small we had to unplug bedside light to plug in kettle which had to balance on a chair.no heating! staff packed up all our personal items and moved us to another room while we were out! 2nd room better but still no heating or hot water! there was a peeling damp patch in the ceiling.Went to breakfast and asked for a pot of coffee,unheard of.eventually brought out a pot that was covered in dust!when I complained waitress came back with a damp cloth and started to clean the dust off,which was falling into my breakfast and she didnt like it when I asked for a fresh one!Most items seem to be the lowest and cheapest quality they can obtain. bed was so low it was difficult to get out of and the mattress was so thin,that our legs were banging against the wooden side all night.Corridor door slammed every time someone passed through until early hours.evening meals were short on choice,but excellent value.except for when I ordered steak and trimmings and emphasised I was allergic to mushrooms and please do not give me any.the meal turned up with mushrooms.Admittedly it was taken away and completely redone,and the chef apologised which was very good.We were allowed the meal free as compensation It was a pity that the very dated accomodation was not of a better standard. By the way,check the sell by dates on the sauces,the mint sauce pakets were 9 months out of date!

Room Tip: find another hotel
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
marilobrighton, Owner at The Downs Hotel, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
We are very disappointed by your comments, however we do firmly believe that feedback is vital to help us improve our business and so we thank you.
I would like to add my own comments to yours. I am unsure why you would unplug the lamp to plug in the kettle as it is a double socket, and the kettle did not need to be put on a chair as it is already on a small round table. You complained to our staff that you wanted to change rooms as you were not happy and we were keen to put this right. We did move your belongings because you went out and the only other room we had suitable meant we had to accommodate other guests in your room and it would need to be serviced. We did tell you that we would move you over, however there must have been a miscommunication as we thought you would pack your own belongings, normally we would NEVER touch anything. I am sorry you were given a tea pot not a coffee pot, we offer cups of coffee and do not normally sell coffee in pots. I must respectfully disagree with your comment about our breakfast being of low quality, our sausages are locally sourced ( Sussex, usually a farm in Ditchling)& our beans are Heinz. I haven't ever had a comment about the bed being low, however after this review I went and laid on the bed and it wasn't the most comfortable of beds.
Thanks to your comments and me lying on the bed I am happy to confirm that we have bought a new mattress for that room its a deep filled orthopaedic one and is super comfortable. There are only 2 other rooms in your wing and no passage way other than to get to the other 2 rooms, I can only assume that the 3 people staying in the other rooms kept coming and going in the night. Our menu offers over 14 main dishes and usually 7-8 daily specials however our chef is always happy to cook anything you wish provided we have the ingredients, I may add this to our new menu so guests are aware that we are happy to cater for your special requirements. I checked all of the sauce sachets and my goodness on the mint sauce you were absolutely right 2 months out of date, totally unacceptable, thanks to you it got us thinking and we are completely doing away with the sachets and offering guests proper bottles of Heinz ketchup etc... and special sauces such as mint sauce are now served with your meal in individual ramekins. I do feel the title of your review is unjust, we are not perfect but we really do strive for perfection and all comments are totally taken on board.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brighton
The Hickstead
#64 of 94 in Brighton
Waynes Place
Waynes Place
#54 of 94 in Brighton

Been to The Downs Hotel? Share your experiences!