The Downs Hotel
US$258
US$251
  • Beachfront
Ibis Brighton City Centre Station(Brighton)(Great Value!)
US$120
  • Restaurant
Jurys Inn Brighton(Brighton)(Great Value!)
US$142
US$137
  • Restaurant
The Granville Hotel(Brighton)(Great Value!)
US$145
US$135
Agoda.com
US$328
SmithHotels.com
US$162
US$151
Agoda.com
Jurys Inn Brighton Waterfront(Brighton)(Great Value!)
US$185
US$175
  • Pool
Hotel du Vin(Brighton)
US$236
US$212
Travelocity
  • Restaurant
The Lanes Hotel(Brighton)(Great Value!)
  • Beachfront
Blanch House(Brighton)(Great Value!)
US$216
TripAdvisor
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsfour posterbus stopthe bed was extremely comfortablebrighton centrerottingdeanpounds
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Hotel was easy to find and had lots of free parking - a real bonus in Brighton!
My single room was accessed from the side of the pub - as a lone female I was a little apprehensive about this, but there were 2 locks on the door. The room was very clean indeed and adequately furnished. The bed was extremely comfortable and there was additional heating if required.
Unfortunately, the TV wasn't working - I was told it was a problem with digital boxes throughout the hotel, but this was inconvenient. I had been reliant on the TV to entertain me for the evening; instead I had to listen to digital radio through my phone.
The only aspect of the room (apart from the TV) that needs improvement are the curtains (cream-coloured) which were quite marked.
The breakfast was excellent and the staff were polite and helpful.
This hotel is ideal for a competitively-priced stopover.

Room Tip: Ground floor single room (Number 12) was quite dark with only a very high window that you couldn't see out of. However, several rooms would have good views.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Alison C
Reviewed 21 May 2014

Staff were lovely, friendly and welcoming. Room clean and adequate as was shared bathroom.
However as it's above a pub very very loud. Massive argument outside my window at closing time. Road very loud.
Chef was off for the night so no food.
I would stay here if I was going on night out in Brighton and just needed a crash pad.
Hotel is popular with work men etc which is where most of the income comes from. Due to this the pub has not been given much TLC and lacked character. Beer garden crap grass long. Benches filthy.
If the place had been given some TLC it could be made into something fab.
The good thing was that it was cheap but I won't be back I m afraid.

• Stayed: May 2014
Reviewed 19 April 2014

I emailed the following complaint, didn't have a response after a few days, so chased it, still have never had a response:

Dear Sir/Madam

I am writing to complain about a cooked breakfast we had with you.

My wife and I decided to come in for a cooked "slap-up" breakfast with you as we were travelling right the day through the day on Valentine's Day, so weren't able to go out for a meal in the evening as we were with family in Wales.

We arrived at approximately 9am and and both had a cooked full English (we had different ones, but I can't remember what they were actually called), and all I can say is that we were extremely disappointed by the quality of the food and the service provided, to whit:

1) The baked beans were cold
2) The crockery was chipped
3) The tea was weak
4) The staff were abrupt, if not rude (a lady with short hair) - I felt like I was asking her to donate a kidney when I asked for some extra bread!
5) My orange juice did not arrive until the staff were reminded, at which point I had virtually finished my breakfast - to my mind it should arrive before the main breakfast, or at least with it
6) The toast was burned
7) The restaruant was cold

We did not complain on the day as, so far as was possible, this was our Valentines meal, and we did not want to spoil that. We also had a 6.5 hour journey ahead of us, so did not have the time.

I would appreciate your thoughts on how you will recompense this poor service and quality.

Yours sincerely,
Andrew Harvey

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AndrewJHarvey1
Reviewed 12 April 2014

I stayed at the Downs Hotel for 3 nights - Fri to Mon. In my opinion, it does not deserve all the negative reviews. I wondered what I was going to be faced with when I arrived after reading some of the reviews. However, I was pleasantly surprised. There was a warm welcome upon arrival, and the barman/receptionist carried my case up to my room without my even having to ask him. My single ensuite room (no. 8) had a cosy feel, was clean and appeared to have been fairly recently decorated. The bed was comfortable and there was almost no noise - although I don't think there was any football supporters staying that weekend! There was plenty of storage space, hangers, and tea/coffee making facilities. The shower was a bit small, but perfectly adequate. Some said the rooms were cold - I found the room a bit too warm and had to turn off the radiator and open the window. The room overlooked the 'garden' at the back, so no traffic noise either. Breakfast was huge - yes, you can nitpick on details, but I couldn't find much fault except in the coffee, which wasn't wonderful, so I had tea the next two mornings. I tried both the 'Full English' and the 'Continental' and in both cases I couldn't even eat half. In fact, there was as much ham and cheese on my plate for the continental breakfast, as I usually buy in my twice weekly shop!

I wasn't that keen on the pub but I wasn't staying at the pub but the hotel! It was very reasonable in price and handy for the bus into Brighton. All in all I would definitely recommend this hotel and will almost certainly stay there again.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are quieter.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank dupeyabu
Reviewed 2 April 2014

My partner and I arrived tuesday afternoon on a lovely day and had no problem parking. We were greeted with a warm welcome and shown to our room right away. Lovely bright room with everything you need. Very warm at night, comfortable sleep and had en-suite with a hot shower. The floor of our room was rather squeaky, which didn't bother us as such, but did cause us to concern about those around or underneath us. (There wasn't a view from our room as we faced the carpark, but we didn't go there to go gazing out the window, so we weren't fazed by this at all.)
Although above a pub, it did shut by 11pm, so no problem with any noise. In the morning we had a choice of breakfast which was included in the price of our room, we chose to go for the full english and was not disappointed. Very delicious. Had it with a very well made cup of tea too :)
We were thanked upon leaving and given a very friendly farewell.
For us it was everything we needed. A comfortable nights sleep and friendly service with good food. Will definitely stay again.
Location was great too, only a 20 minute bus journey to the sea front. Bus stop was across the road from the pub too which was rather handy.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple