“Great accomodation for the money”
Review of The Downs Hotel

The Downs Hotel
Ranked #65 of 95 Brighton B&B and Inns
Reviewed 18 June 2014

I was staying in Brighton for two nights for work and I chose this hotel as it close to the office. I have to admit I was a little concerned by all of the bad reviews on here after booking, but the fact that it was convenient over-ruled these. I wasn't sure what to expect but I thought as it is only for a few nights I would give it a try. I can genuinely say that I was pleasantly surprised. The staff were friendly, the room was clean and so was the shower room. It was a shared bathroom as this was the only room left when I booked. Being a hygiene freak I was worried about this but it was clean and I was happy to use it. I have stayed in much worse places which have been a lot more expensive!
I'm not saying it was perfect, there are a few issues which I found such as the TV not having many channels and the furniture was a bit battered in places etc. but for me this was irrelevant as the place was doing the job - providing a bed for the night, these issues are really just being picky. These kinds of things certainly don't matter unless you are planning to spend the entire stay in the room, which most people will not intend to do. When I checked in a light bulb went out/broke when I was being shown to my room and it was fixed immediately showing that the staff care and are looking after the place regardless.

The breakfast was great as was the service and although I was next to quite a busy road I found it easy to sleep and I slept well. I feel that some of the terrible reviews may have been a little unfair on here as it is good, inexpensive accommodation, and it does the job. Low cost accommodation of course is no excuse for poor standards but in my honest opinion the standard of the accommodation was very good. If you are looking for high class accommodation with all of the trimmings then you have to pay for it and it is then fair to complain when things are not as expected. For me though this little place is great value for money, especially as it is in Brighton. I was very happy with my stay and hope to stay again next time I visit the office here.
Thank you to the staff for a pleasant stay. I will be back

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo

Reviewed 12 June 2014

We thought this hotel offers a great location, it's a ten minute bus ride away from the beach and town centre, offers free parking and a free breakfast included within the prices of the room. The location is on the main road, however... it wasn't too noisy and the views were stunning! You can see a lot of country side stretching out to the sea.

The family run establishment offers good priced food and the staff are friendly and professional. The lady who greeted us even showed us to our room, explained how to travel into town and seemed happy to help us with information as it was our first time in Brighton. We stayed in the room with the four poster bed which was lovely and clean, perfect for couples!!

Parking in Brighton is expensive, which is why we decided to leave the car at the hotel on both days. Travelling into the town and beach area is so cheap and we saved some money using the friendly and very frequent bus service. We didn't have to worry about paying £20 per night like some hotels in the main city centre.

Overall, I feel this hotel provides a warm welcome to it's guests, suitable for couples and individuals more than families. We definitely would stay in this hotel again, the location is very convenient and prices are reasonable, the friendliness also added to our experience, making it a highly enjoyable stay.

• Stayed: June 2014
3  Thank Louise L
Reviewed 7 June 2014

After three days of getting lost in the English countryside and a track day, 20 of us descended on The Downs Hotel. The buffet was the best we had out of all the hotels and service was excellent and friendly. Juke box turned off at 11.20, so an undisturbed sleep. Rooms good and clean. The sausage in the English breakfast was one of the best. Stunning views especially at dawn at 5.00 am !!! Minibus on hand to get into Brighton, but bus service is excellent.

Room Tip: Aim for a room at the front.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Kippo2014
Reviewed 1 June 2014

The staff gave me the wrong key and were rude. We decided to check out and go to a different hotel. He had already taken the payment, so refused cancelation. Nightmare. Oh and the pub doors to the toilets were really loud until after midnight!

Room Tip: Do not sleep near the toilets
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank BENNYFLYNN
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Hotel was easy to find and had lots of free parking - a real bonus in Brighton!
My single room was accessed from the side of the pub - as a lone female I was a little apprehensive about this, but there were 2 locks on the door. The room was very clean indeed and adequately furnished. The bed was extremely comfortable and there was additional heating if required.
Unfortunately, the TV wasn't working - I was told it was a problem with digital boxes throughout the hotel, but this was inconvenient. I had been reliant on the TV to entertain me for the evening; instead I had to listen to digital radio through my phone.
The only aspect of the room (apart from the TV) that needs improvement are the curtains (cream-coloured) which were quite marked.
The breakfast was excellent and the staff were polite and helpful.
This hotel is ideal for a competitively-priced stopover.

Room Tip: Ground floor single room (Number 12) was quite dark with only a very high window that you couldn'...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Alison C
Reviewed 21 May 2014

Staff were lovely, friendly and welcoming. Room clean and adequate as was shared bathroom.
However as it's above a pub very very loud. Massive argument outside my window at closing time. Road very loud.
Chef was off for the night so no food.
I would stay here if I was going on night out in Brighton and just needed a crash pad.
Hotel is popular with work men etc which is where most of the income comes from. Due to this the pub has not been given much TLC and lacked character. Beer garden crap grass long. Benches filthy.
If the place had been given some TLC it could be made into something fab.
The good thing was that it was cheap but I won't be back I m afraid.

• Stayed: May 2014
Reviewed 19 April 2014

I emailed the following complaint, didn't have a response after a few days, so chased it, still have never had a response:

Dear Sir/Madam

I am writing to complain about a cooked breakfast we had with you.

My wife and I decided to come in for a cooked "slap-up" breakfast with you as we were travelling right the day through the day on Valentine's Day, so weren't able to go out for a meal in the evening as we were with family in Wales.

We arrived at approximately 9am and and both had a cooked full English (we had different ones, but I can't remember what they were actually called), and all I can say is that we were extremely disappointed by the quality of the food and the service provided, to whit:

1) The baked beans were cold
2) The crockery was chipped
3) The tea was weak
4) The staff were abrupt, if not rude (a lady with short hair) - I felt like I was asking her to donate a kidney when I asked for some extra bread!
5) My orange juice did not arrive until the staff were reminded, at which point I had virtually finished my breakfast - to my mind it should arrive before the main breakfast, or at least with it
6) The toast was burned
7) The restaruant was cold

We did not complain on the day as, so far as was possible, this was our Valentines meal, and we did not want to spoil that. We also had a 6.5 hour journey ahead of us, so did not have the time.

I would appreciate your thoughts on how you will recompense this poor service and quality.

Yours sincerely,
Andrew Harvey

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AndrewJHarvey1
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brighton
The Hickstead
#52 of 95 in Brighton
The Gather Inn
The Gather Inn
#45 of 95 in Brighton

Been to The Downs Hotel? Share your experiences!