The Downs Hotel
Maison Ville(Brighton)
  • Restaurant
Elysian Hotel(Brighton)
  • Beachfront
All reviewsfour posterbus stopthe bed was extremely comfortablebrighton centrerottingdeanpounds
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 29 July 2014

We have been staying here for nearly four years ever since our daughter started at University of Sussex. This time we were staying to go to her graduation and we feel it is now a home from home. The room was comfortable and clean and the staff are really friendly. We had an evening meal this time as well as the breakfasts and the food is fantastic. Much cheaper to stay here rather than in the centre of Brighton and you can leave the car in their free car park and take a bus into the city centre. Luckily for us she is staying in Brighton and we have a son here too so we will continue to use this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 July 2014

We called in here on our way to Brighton Races.
We had the most delightful smoked salmon salad with home made honey and mustard dressing with a dash of white wine vinegar. Washed don by a fresh pot of Earl Grey tea.
We enjoyed the whole thing so much I popped into the kitchen to get the dressing recipe from the chef.
After a chat I realised he knew food and I would suggest you would not find a better tasting or value meal in the vicinity.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Lovely spacious room, clean and bright with a beautiful view of downs and sea. Excellent food, particularly local fresh fish and Harvey's bitter. Nice breakfast. Slight delay on check-in , but we arrived as bar was filling up and 1st rounds being ordered. Good location for Brighton by bus [leave car in CP if you want to drink in town] and down to the sea at Rottingdean. Much better value than Brighton's over priced hotels. However it isn't fancy but clean and comfortable. Nice TV and leather sofa to watch Glaso from ;-)

Room Tip: I'd booked a four poster and we were given a triple room over the pub. Room 7. Bright light & lovely view.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 June 2014

The Room
- I'd booked a single en-suite room at £45 a night. The room was no bigger than the box room in my apartment. sink and shower in the main room beside the bed, toilet behind a closed door (glad it wasn't all open plan).
- first impressions were not great. The bedsheets and pillow cases were white which was nice enough, but then there were 3 dirty smaller pillows (brown suede, blue furry and a stained patterned pillow) which were also on the bed. I promptly removed these and placed them in the closet. No idea why they were there in the first place.
- the toilet seat was wobbly so every time I sat on it I thought i was going to fall in. Plus the toilet was stained.
- there was a wooden stool in the room with a stained top seat.
- when I pulled back the bed covers there was a hair on the bed, and the whole thing creaked every time you moved.

The Sleep
- make sure you have ear plugs and an eye mask as there are no curtains so you get woken up as soon as the sun rises, assuming you slept at all.
- the side entrance door downstairs bangs shut if it is not held as it is closing which to be honest most people don't do.
- even after closing hours you can still hear some noise from downstairs as they clear up and then again from around 6am in the morning.
- when someone flushes the chain in a neighbouring room, all the pipe work vibrates loudly.
- there are birds everywhere and they are noisy even at night.

The first night I didn't use my earplugs. BIG MISTAKE! The second night's sleep was better as the earplugs drowned out everything and i was also exhausted from the lack of sleep the night before.

With a little effort to update the room it could be really nice, but I guess you get what you pay for.
Think next time I'll pay a little more.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank A_LoneStarr
Reviewed 24 June 2014

Very friendly staff. Comfortable beds. Clean rooms. Fantastic food. Bus stop just outside for easy travelling to Brighton and lovely walks.The only negative points are that it was very noisy due to being on a main road and the bathroom could have been cleaner.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends