“desperate need of TLC”

Ranked #35 of 97 Brighton B&B and Inns
Wimborne, United Kingdom
“desperate need of TLC”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2012

Stayed here for one night. And the double room we stayed in was in desperate need of tlc and a clean (the dust had dust on it on the chandelier) Although if it was fixed properly to the ceiling we would have looked so much at it as we kept on thinking it was going to land on us in bed! The walls needed a fresh coat of paint due to scuffs and chips and the edging needed doing as the final finish detracted from the the wallpaper wall which was in very good condition. The bathroom, needed a damn good clean and finishing touches. I personally didn't like using the shower as the mould spores on the grouting and the shower head were thick black. The rust on the shower caddy was pure art!!!! Extra pillows would have been nice as the ones on the bed were very thin, as were the sheets?! No sweetners, decaf coffee either although did love the touch of a bottle of water and a fredeo chocolate on arrival. Now for breakfast oh my days! no sooner had we got down the stairs we were pounced on..what you want to drink, what you want to eat, there was no explaination of what was available. turned out the choice was apple,orange juice, bran flakes, cornflakes. 1 slice of cold semi toasted bread. and the full english(a lie) everything tasted of oregano and the ping of the microwave to know it was ready. With the amount of rooms everything should be fresh and to order and have a choice (sorry a chef in a busy restaurant doing more covers than this b and b and all fresh to order) NOT WORTH £78 A NIGHT.

Room Tip: don't book rooms here
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lisa c

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2012

As above really good guest house it was first time in Brighton and my wife and I stayed for two nights the whole experience was amazing clean rooms the English breakfast was one of the best I have ever had in a guest house the manager was a really sweet guy and couldn't do enough for you and I. Would recommend this place. To anyone

• Stayed December 2012
St Austell, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2012

I have stayed here many times before in the last 4 years and would highly recommend it to anyone. I stayed during Pride event in August/ September and without fail Marco the host does everything he can to make my stay very pleasant. Marco is always cheerful and friendly greeting us with a genuine smile and competence. Everything is well organised and he even finds time to do those little extras like a chocolate freddie frog and bottle of water, or rainbow flags ready to wave at Pride. I have stayed in both superior and standard rooms before and they are clean and comfortable, maintained to a high standard and equipped well. Some have beautiful side views of the sea.Marco makes this place in my opinion, and I wouldn't want to stay anywhere else when I visit Brighton, which I do as often as possible from Cornwall. Breakfast provides choice and flexibility to meet individual need. Nothing is too much trouble and Marco delivers it with the charm and charisma that an Italian has, even early in the morning! Food is cooked to perfection and timing is responsive to individuals, nobody feels rushed and the atmosphere is relaxed, papers and gentle background music are available in the breakfast room. An extensive array of information leaflets about local events and places of interest are available but Marco is always on hand to provide further information and handy hints. He really does have the skill of hospitality down to a fine art and on the rare occasion when I have had to stay elsewhere, I find other guest houses in this area never match up to the Grand Pier.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back of the guest house have less noise from the road , if you are a light sleeper like...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Nicki K
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2012

This was our third stay at the Grand Pier, we can't fault anything about this great guest house,the location is spot on for every thing you might have planned for your visit to Brighton we love it, so when we arrived and found it had a new manager we were a bit disappointed, however Marco is clearly the one thing the Grand Pier was missing, he got us a parking permit for out side of the house carried our bags up to our rooms, we booked a superior and a standard room, both size
rooms are good for a couple the superior being a larger room ours had a sea view from the window seat room 7, our daughter and boyfriend had the standard room 8, both beds were very comfy, we had fresh towels bottled water and chocolate waiting for us, free tea coffee & milk shower gel & shampoo, flat screen tv with free view,free wi fi, plus the usual hair dryer, iron and board, making this suitable for couples, family, or business, all this plus Marco has just had it all decorated through out making it all fresh and new.
The cooked breakfast is not to be missed this will set you up for the day, you help your self to cereal fruit and juice,if you prefer.Nothing was too much trouble for our host very friendly polite and helpful with out being in your face very approachable, it was a real enjoyable stay,can't wait to return. Don't change a thing Marco you're simply the best.

Room Tip: Superior room a bit more larger than the standard room and a side sea view.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2012

I can't say enough about how lovely our stay at the Grand Pier Guest House was - let's just say that this is the only place I have ever bothered to write a review for!

I stayed here with my boyfriend for 3 nights in August and we booked a superior room. The location of the B&B is perfect - from our window we could see the beach and the big wheel, and the pier must be a 2 minute walk!
From the moment we arrived Marco was the perfect host, carrying our suitcases to the very top floor with ease! I can't comment on the size of the standard rooms but the superior room was a really nice size, with lots of storage space (no wardrobe but a small rack to hang clothes and lots of drawers). The room had everything we needed - a huge (very) comfy bed, TV with freeview, complimentary tea, coffee, biscuits, a kettle, and even bottled water and chocolate :) The bathroom was amazing and modern, with a huge power shower, and a full-length mirror (very handy for us ladies!).

The best thing about the Grand Pier is the owner Marco. We were out of the B&B most of the time, but even the few times we saw him he was just so happy and enthusiastic about his job, without being too much. Breakfast is delicious - you can help yourself to cereals, fruit juices and fruit, and Marco will cook whatever you ask for. We had the full English most of the time, and he caters to any special request without hesitation.

If and when I return to Brighton I won't waste any time searching for a place to stay - I'd definitely come back to the Grand Pier Guest House!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Charlotte G
Hornchurch, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed here for two nights on a budget for my birthday weekend. We were not expecting much as the accomodation was cheap but on arrival we were greeted by Marco who was a wonderful host. He was extremely helpful, informing us of all the best places to go and made breakfast to order. He was such a character and really cares about what he does and going by past experience, that is seldom ever the case. I would highly recommend this place and my boyfriend and I have already decided to return next year. It exceeded our expectations and much, much more!Excellent

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jessica T
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for 2 nights with friends and had a standard room which was small but did everything you need it to do I.e. provide you with a comfy bed, a bathroom, tea and coffee, bottled water and chocolate! Marco is a great manager and host and will do everything for you from carrying your bags to cooking you whatever you like for breakfast. Would definitely stay here again......it's a great little B&B.

Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple