“One of the best hotel experiences, thank you Stefan!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Grand Pier Guest House

Grand Pier Guest House
Ranked #36 of 98 Brighton B&B and Inns
Southampton, United Kingdom
“One of the best hotel experiences, thank you Stefan!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2013

I feel compelled to write my first ever review, as feel that some of the comments are a bit unfair, since the Grand Pier is advertised as a guest house, not a luxury 5* hotel.

My boyfriend and I spent one night here, and our expectations were not very high after reading some of the reviews on Tripadvisor, but it was bank holiday weekend and finding an affordable room in a central location would have been a challenge, so we decided to go for it anyway.

As soon as we arrived, we were welcomed by Stefan (the manager) who was expecting us, and showed us to our room straight away.

Our room was a standard double, although small, very clean and tidy, dark modern furniture, egyptian cotton sheets and an absolutely immaculate bathroom. My boyfriend also manages a hotel, and he can be quite thorough, but he agreed that everything looked new and spotless.

When we came back from dinner, we were in for a very nice surprise!
Stefan knew that I was celebrating Easter that week according to my religion, and we were amazed to come back, and find that he left a bottle of wine and a card in the room for us, to say Happy Easter! What an incredibly nice gesture!

The location couldn't have been better, exactly opposite the Brighton Pier, 5 minutes walk from the bar/shop areas, so it was very easy for us to go out and enjoy the evening out, and not have to worry about a long walk back or taxis.
We didn't really need it, but we noticed a Tesco Express literally a minute away, which can be quite handy for longer stays.

We had a very good sleep, the mattress was comfortable and the room temperature was just right.

The next morning for breakfast we found a vast selection of yogurts, cereals, orange juice, tea, coffee, as well as the choice to go for a full english, which we did. Stefan went out of his way to make sure all the guests are happy, and even offered to make new toast for us, as I am a slow eater and he was worried that the first one got cold!

In the breakfast area, we could also hear the other guests talking about the nice experience they are having at the Grand Pier.

Overall, I can honestly say, after travelling throughout the UK, and staying in various places, ranging from 5* hotels to small B&Bs, that the Grand Pier is one of those places that rises to the highest standards in terms of service quality, but maintains a personal touch that makes you feel like a guest, rather then a customer in a hotel. Next time we're in Brighton we wouldn't stay anywhere else!

Thanks again Stefan, and looking forward to our next visit!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ofelia861

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2013

We stayed here for a couple of nights as we were running the Brighton marathon. We were a bit worried as we had struggled to find anywhere with availability but these fears were completely unfounded. The room was a good size, clean and Stefan was an excellent host, who went out of his way to accommodate us.

The previous year we had stayed at one of the big hotels on the sea front and struggled with traffic noise - not a problem here. The location is excellent for exploring the city.

Room Tip: We stayed in a superior room, which was a good size for a guest house. Didn't struggle at all wi...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Northampton, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2013

Booked a room here online last year for Goodwood Festival of Speed but when we turned up they said they didn't have our booking, despite my having email confirmation (and I had called ahead to say we would be arriving mid evening). This on one of the busiest weekends in the year, arriving at 9pm on a Friday evening! To be fair to them they refunded us on the spot, were very apologetic and tried very hard to accommodate us in another nearby property (which I refused) and they offered us verbally a free stay next time we were in Brighton. But inevitably the promised email never materialised...

Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Smithies_UK
hampshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2013 via mobile

My daughter and I stayed here for one night, we booked the day before.
The location was great, close to the shops, restaurants and attractions.
The room was comfy and clean. Advertised complimentary chocolates, which was a 'fredo' the frog bar - bit strange but never mind!
The breakfast was nicely cooked, although we had a little bit of trouble making the young man serving understand.
If we come down for another weekend, I would certainly use this guest house again.

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank bruciebabe
England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2013

I booked the Grand Pier the day I was due to arrive in Brighton and got a great deal. I wasn't arriving til late in the evening and Stuart was quick to ensure that I had his contact number in case I arrived after the doors were locked. When I arrived,Stuart had very kindly upgraded me from the room that I booked and I was impressed with the room. A nice touch to have bottles of water and a sweet treat,and there were tea and coffee facilities also. I was out for the evening and was really just there to sleep,which I had no problem doing. Breakfast was great in the morning and I can not fault Stuart's hospitality. The location is great and I would happily return.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
Ramsgate, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2013

booked in at the Grand Pier Guest house and for £100 for a night i was expecting better. we booked online and i must say it looked very pleasant.the review said it had been recently refurbished this must have been in 1948 as our room was very tired we had trouble seeing through the windows they were so dirty. the light had live wires showing also everything was thick with dust.the sheets on the bed were stained. we never even unpacked we found a very pleasant hotel two streets away.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 674PAUL_H
surrey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2013 via mobile

just got back from grand pier.stayed 2 nights.room was ok.bit warm...but cant compain really as the weather was rather cold.stuart who runs it,made us very welcome and cooks a lovely brekkies.no parking but didnt expect it.cheap parking down the front by the wheel.someone mentioned it smells of smoke there.i am a non smoker and would soon moan if i smelt it.i couldnt.

• Stayed January 2013