“Lovely B&B, close to seafront, real value for money. Will use again”

Grand Pier Guest House
Ranked #37 of 95 Brighton B&B and Inns
Reviewed 27 July 2013

We stayed here 2 night's, very pleased with our room (#3) . Compact but fine for what we needed, tv, hairdryer, towels and toiletries and hanging space for clothes, room offers a lot more then some places. Also was at back of building so was quiet so slept very well. Breakfast was also excellent, was asked what time we wanted to eat, when we arrived for it, it was all lauded out in hot trays to help ourselves, so was able to have as much fried breakfast as wanted, also a continental breakfast available. Will defo return here and highly recommend. All those people picking faults obviously had to find something to moan about as we had a great stay

• Stayed: July 2013

Reviewed 16 July 2013

We stayed Friday to Sunday 12-14 July and had a really great stay. The owner was very friendly and accommodating. Excellent location. Room 2 at the front was much nicer than my room 4 but even so, my room was perfectly fine with a good shower, TV and hospitality tray.

We are already planning our next trip in hopefully the same B&B.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 July 2013

We stayed here for three nights on a trip that was part-business and part-pleasure! The location is excellent - just moments from the pier and fifteen minutes' walk to the train station. Our cute attic room was at the front and had a (sideways) seaview. The street can be noisy at night but earplugs did the trick.

The owner is very friendly and kindly cooked me veggie sausages for breakfast! - which was excellent, with "full English" and "continental" options. Mr. Fattykat enjoyed his bacon and scrambled eggs. The basement dining room (nicer and lighter than it sounds) is tiny but pre-booking breakfast meant that everyone was accommodated.

Some minor niggles such as a sash window that wouldn't stay open and a showerhead that wouldn't stay up - but I much preferred this B&B to the more "corporate" Brighton hotels and would definitely stay again. Brighton is not cheap but I feel that we had excellent value for money. I imagine that parking might be an issue but on this occasion we took the train.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 June 2013 via mobile

We stayed in room 3 for one night in June 2013. It was a great location close to the wheel and sea front.
The room was quite small and also had a small bathroom we had problems getting into the shower cubicle the water temperature was not very warm.
The window was propped open with a block of wood, when trying to close the window at night it was quite difficult to do.
We also felt the room was quite noisy due to people going up and down stairs at night time.
We were also disappointed with breakfast sausages were good quality but no offer of real coffee just instant which was not what we wanted.
We also felt the service was not great, when we checked out I had to search for someone to give our key to and resorted in the end to ringing the bell.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed 26 June 2013

This hotel is in a great location, only 100 yards from pier and beach. We had a room with bay window at the front of the hotel, and it was lovely and airy. Not the most modernest of hotels but it was clean, breakfast was lovely and the owner was very helpful and polite. We went as a party of 9 for my partners 40th birthday, and had a whale of a time. Close to all amenities but on a quiet side road.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the front. There is a small room at the back that is suitable for 1 person but it...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 June 2013

This place is a delight and I'd like to thank the other Tripadvisor users for recommending it. It's clean, nicely decorated (currently being refurbished so expect some scaffolding outside the front) and the owner is lovely. It's not a twee B&B, no net curtains or frills and fancy. Just good quality fixtures and fittings and what you see is what you get!

It's really easy to find. We left the station and walked straight down Station Road. When we reached the pier, we turned left along the seafront and Madeira Place is the road opposite the Big Wheel (easy to spot, it's the big round thing on the seafront!)

Lee, the B&B owner, was waiting to greet us - and what a lovely lady she is. She's originally from Malaysia but has lived in the UK for over 20 years, originally working as a nurse in central London. She moved to Brighton and has for many years, run the Pink Pavilion B&B next door before taking over the Grand Pier Guest House a few months ago. (By the way, I'd presumed, because of the name, that the Pink Pavilion was mainly geared towards gay guests but in actual fact this isn't the case. It's simply a name that Lee liked!)

Anyway, back to the Grand Pier.....

I'm a very light sleeper and had requested a room at the top, which is exactly what I got. It was nicely decorated with double bed, ensuite with good shower, fluffy towels, very clean cotton bedding and a small flat screen television mounted on the opposite wall. There wasn't a wardrobe but there was a clothes hanging area with several coathangers so room enough for all my belongings. Two bedside tables with drawers, contained a hairdryer and the bathroom had shower gel and shampoo. There's also a fan, which we needed!

The only tiny problem as mentioned by previous reviewers is that the sash window wouldn't open properly so I propped it open with a small perfume box, which did the trick. Lee, however, is refurbishing the entire B&B and she assured me that the sash windows would be sorted out so fingers crossed, if you do stay, you'll be able to breathe in that sea air!

I would say that this top floor room which is at the back of the hotel, is ideal for one person although two could squeeze in at a push. The double bed is certainly large enough for two people.

The next morning, after a great night's sleep and absolutely no disturbance apart from a couple of lively seagulls trilling away at 5 in the morning, I made my way downstairs for breakfast. 0930 was the cut off time which was brilliant - most b&b's seem to finish a lot earlier so it was nice to be able to have a bit of a lie-in. Fresh orange juice, tea, great strong coffee, help yourself cereals and a breakfast cooked to order: bacon, sausage, tomatoes, scrambled eggs, fresh mushrooms, baked beans. Plus fresh fruit. All excellent value for £68 for the night. (By the way, I liked the b&b so much that I stayed an extra night, the rate was then dropped to £60 for the second night)

I was very happy with my room but managed to have a quick peek at one of the larger rooms at the front: big double bed, bay windows, seating area. Very pretty and spacious and I reckon much better suited for a couple.

All in all, this is a nice little hotel. Very clean, very central, minutes from the seafront and a friendly owner. What more could you want?

Room Tip: Choose a top floor room at the back of the hotel
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 June 2013

Having read the reviews , thought was a great price for central hotel, cant fault location 2 mins from pier and 5 mins from the lanes Tesco at end of road harvester pub next to pier .. pub across the road was friendly and not to over priced .so all in all great for most needs , I think I will list pro,s and con,s and let you make your own decisions ...

Pro,s---------------- location.... value for money..... clean bedding and bathroom .. friendly ..comfy bed ...nice breakfast( not a lot of it thou ) 1 rasher of bacon 1 sausage scambled egg 1 tom.. tea spoon of beans and about 4 slices of mushrooms and toast

Con,s.....------------- windows are sash cord and have to be propped up with wood to stay open ,, no lock on windows when shut as we had scaffolding up and work men painting outside was not good to leave window open as they had entry to our room just by stepping in the window . the roman blinds on the window were dirty and faded . the pub across the road has a disco going to the small hours of the morning and kept us awake till gone 2am .( would not be a problem if you were at the back of the hotel.) we paid for a upgraded room which was suppose to have dvd and cd ( we did not)
The biggest problem in the hotel is parking there is none !!! we were told that we could purchase a controlled zone parking ticket for £10 for 24 hrs but they didn't know where they were ,( Not very helpful)... so we had to drive around for 20 mins trying to fine them .. they turn out to be a good 5 mins from the hotel and there was only 3 spaces .. so if you don't mind everything not being perfect and want a cheap hotel stay in a great location maybe it,s for you

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple