“Beautiful Hotel”

Artist Residence Brighton
Ranked #3 of 43 Hotels in Brighton
Reviewed 10 February 2010

I had a thoroughly enjoyable stay, the hotel is situated just minutes walk from the beach and town centre which is ideal. The brightness and quirkiness caught my attention straight away and the room that I was staying in was beautifully decorated, comfortable and included a sea-view balcony. As an artist myself I would highly recommend this hotel as an imaginative, relaxing place to stay.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Artist Residence Brighton

Reviewed 10 February 2010

A real surprise, this hotel really took my interest. With beautiful artwork from artists who actually live and work from within the hotel, I really felt like I was staying somewhere special. Our room had a lovely view of the old pier, and was decorated with great art, well picked furniture and ornamentation. I was also impressed to find an exhibition of student work from the nearby University while we stayed, it's nice to know that they support artists both from the local community and further afield. All in all, a comfortable, interesting stay!

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 February 2010

Each hotel room has its own style and is designed by a different young artist.
You can even give a preference to the room you'd like to stay in based on the pictures you can see on their website.
The art gallery was cool tool.
We had a very good sleep in our room, and the breakfast brought up was particularly good as well..

Reviewed 6 February 2010

We arrived in Brighton and were completely lost so called the hotel to ask for directions and got friendly, useful advice.

On arrival we got friendly welcome and were led into a beautiful little gallery. We checked in and were led into our fourth-floor-room, all stairs no lift.

The room was spacious and unusual painted white with a modern mural of Brighton painted on the walls but most importantly a round, extremely comfortable bed.

The view out of our window was of the old pier- this was by far the best bit about the hotel!

You get a small collection of organic products in the small bathroom, which had a corner bath and a powerful shower.

The location is fantastic-just a short walk from the shops and sea front.

The down sides are the breakfast, a pastry juice and apple left in a brown bag outside your door in the morning (we popped around the corner for a cooked breakfast), no real place to sit and relax outside of your room, and it does feel a bit like a hostel.... but overall I still do recommend this hotel for a relaxing, fun place to stay. The staff our young, but friendly and really helpful.

(We payed for deluxe double, which was just renovated the extra £10 is really worth it)

Reviewed 22 January 2010

A new boyfriend booked this hotel for us. I was worried because I had stayed here before and, although I liked the concept as it is very refreshing to stay in a room that goes beyond your basic , boring, white-walled room, I had been unimpressed with the maintenance.

This time I was astounded by the improvements. The room was impeccably clean, as was the rest of the hotel. I absolutely loved the artwork in my room - a calming blue and white panorama of Brighton. The staff were incredibly friendly. I also enjoyed the small gallery that had been set up in front of the hotel.

This is now a great hotel, well worth the visit.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 January 2010

Not sure about the previous reviews but the hotel seems to be in a different state to what has been reported. The rooms were clean and the staff were friendly. Would definitely recommend to others

Reviewed 10 January 2010

I booked this hotel for two nights on cost and location before reading the reviews so was interested to see what it would be like. The welcome was very warm and all the (very young) staff I came into contact with were as polite and helpful as could be. It's not often one gets to play art critic writing a hotel review but this was a bit disapointing. The art in my room was an odd mismatch of objects and designs on the wall. It wasn't well painted and seemed a bit childish to me. But I didn't go to Brighton to look at the walls. The room was warm when it was arctic outside and I found the giant iron bedstead and thick old fashioned mattress jolly comfortable. The view over the square to the sea was stunning.

There has been a change in the breakfast policy since some the other reviews here were written. There is now no hot breakfast provided but a brown paper bag is left outside of the room door containg a pastry, a muesili bar, a piece of fruit and some organic fruit juice. I quite liked being able to take this back to bed but I also kinda hankered for full English, which I only ever do when staying in hotels and is part of the treat. Seemed a bit cheap.

Not a usual hotel this one, quite Brightonesque, you know lazy and a bit arrogant. Childish really and the thought crosses my mind that maybe the teanagers who seemed to be running the place really were! But I had a nice stay, and a wicked weekend but that is another story..

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled on business
3  Thank Jonath1
artistresidence, Founder at Artist Residence Brighton, responded to this reviewResponded 22 January 2010

I am sorry you don’t feel the hotel lived up to your expectations. I would like to apologise that you felt the hotel was disappointing and that the art work wasn’t up to your level of expectation. Most of our artists are very well recognised in the industry so I accept it’s a matter of opinion whether you appreciate the art or not. The purpose is to provoke some emotion and your “childish” description rings true as in this particular case the artist uses cartoon imagery.
In response to the change in breakfast policy we have never served a hot breakfast. We have however, made huge improvements in the quality of breakfast. The “breakfast in the bag” idea has been very well received by most guests so I am sorry we couldn’t provide you with the hot breakfast. Our breakfast bags contain a fresh pastry, locally produced orange or apple juice, cereal bar and a piece of fruit. As this is still relatively new we would appreciate it if you could contact us directly with any comments on how we may improve our breakfast.
I can only apologise if you felt that the hotel felt childish but Brighton is a young and vibrant hub. Artist Residence is still a unique hotel!