“Couldn't resist pudding despite being full”

The Restaurant at Drakes
Reserve with OpenTable
The Restaurant at Drakes is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #94 of 1,140 Restaurants in Brighton
Price range: US$26 - US$78
Cuisines: European
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Considered by many to be Brighton's best restaurant, backed up by its status as the highest scoring local dining room in the Good Food Guide, The Restaurant at Drakes is an elegantly stylish setting for any occasion. Subtle lighting casts moody shadows across exposed brickwork and rich colours throughout the intimate dining room while Drakes cocktail bar offers airy sea views and excellent cocktails. The kitchen team insist on the best of ingredients, fresh and seasonal, including fish bought daily from local fishing boats, to create the excellent, refined menu that has earned the restaurant two AA rosettes. A special place, unpretentious in its warm atmosphere, it's easy to see why The Restaurant at Drakes has such a reputation.
London, United Kingdom
“Couldn't resist pudding despite being full”
Reviewed 3 August 2014

We had an excellent dinner at Drakes; great food and friendly helpful service. I chose the pea soup to start, which was much better than I expected, with crunchy slices of pea pod to set off the tasty soup. Scallops were cooked to perfection, as were the lamb and steak main courses. By this time we were fairly full but next door's puddings looked so good that we couldn't resist another course. My rasberry souffle was one of the best souffles I have ever eaten. Too full for the petit fours, we just managed to stagger up to bed. We will definitely be back, but maybe just for two courses next time.

London, United Kingdom
“Delicious, and SO much food!”
Reviewed 28 July 2014

A lovely meal for two, on a Friday night. We had cocktails beforehand in the upstairs bar, and then moved downstairs for dinner. We had the 5 course tasting menu, which really was actually 7 courses, AND they were normal sized portions! We were SO full. Can't complain because the food, service and ambience was perfect. But wow, you almost had to roll me home in a wheelbarrow. It's not cheap, but a great place to go as a treat. I just wish I'd had enough room for a post-dinner cocktail.

“Awesome!”
Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

I booked Drakes Hotel as a surprise for my husbands 40th birthday and was hesitant to book the same place to eat, but I'm so glad I did.
It was a lovely small restaurant with a relaxed but formal atmosphere and perfect for the celebration. We had a couple of lovely cocktails in the bar and then an amazing meal...even now we can remember the taste of each mouthful.
Staff we're friendly, very helpful and knowledgeable about the ingredients...but we are still searching for the beautiful cheese that came with the cheese board...brillat savarin with white truffle oil (only available for 3 months of the year) - should have asked the name of the supplier! Brilliant evening and we will be back.

Tours, France
“Don't judge a book by it's cover”
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Booked Drakes as had read good reviews. I have to admit the first impression was not what I had been anticipating! The facade of the building is very average, and looks like very many of the other seafront properties, the second impression too of going down the staircase into the basement was not how I'd imagined the place!
However, on entering the restaurant the greeting was warm without being over the top, the ambiance discrete, and the food was fab!
Service was very good, the French waiter was very informative, and I can honestly say the quality of the food really did not disappoint.
In brief, don't judge the book by its cover, I would definitely return if I visit Brighton again.

1 Thank JaneM1969
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Good service good food, what you would expect from drakes”
Reviewed 13 July 2014

This was a romantic meal at drakes, a smallish restaurant with really good service, it meant something that the person greeting us was expecting me and didn't ask what name the table was in. There are little extras that you may expect such as an amuse bouche and truffles as the end. I would say that the lighting could be a little dimmer to create a more intimate atmosphere but that's just to my taste. There is an excellent little wine bar upstairs for meeting people pre dinner as well.

• Visited April 2014