“Cold & unwelcoming”

Ranked #37 of 44 Hotels in Brighton
London
“Cold & unwelcoming”
Reviewed 20 March 2014

I arrived at shortly before the 3pm checking time. Receptionist did not say hello / welcome me to Travelodge. I announced who I was and was told check in was at 3pm or " I must pay £10" she couldn't store my luggage as it " was against the rules" So I waited in the lobby until 3pm. Ok, it is only £10 however receptionist more focused on revenue than greeting her guests. Had I checked in at 11am I would have paid the money but an hour before when they have rooms available ? Room was large, double bed very comfortable & linen and duvet excellent. Towels fluffy. I had read previous reviews so knew that Travelodge do not place shampoo etc in room. I always take my own anyway. There is a very small bar of cheap soap that breaks up when you wash your hands. Only half a toilet roll so clearly been used by previous guest and not replaced. Not a nice thought. There is a message on towel rail to place towels in bath / shower once used if you want replenished. I stayed 2 nights and room not serviced - I had not placed " do not disturb" on door, so I returned late to towels still in wet shower and toilet tissue depleted. Bed un made . No telephone in room to contact reception / housekeeping. I had paid for breakfast on line. £7.95 did not represent value for money. Orange juice watery, no fresh milk to use in your tea / coffee ( UHT creamers , same as you get in your room are offered) !! I had one bite of the sausage - best avoid.. Very cheap. I opted to go to local cafe restaurant the following morning for a tasty breakfast. Checkout very friendly and warm by a different receptionist. A real shame the welcome was not as enthusiastic. I would strongly suggest you book local guest houses / bed and breakfasts that offer far better value for money and you'll get a warmer welcome. They certainly won't be asking for £10 to check in an hour early and they will store luggage, provide toiletries in room and clean room every day. And quality of breakfast probably a lot better and included in the price. My lesson learnt.

Review collected in partnership with Travelodge

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 March 2014

Can not believe some of the reviews below, is there two seafronts? because the one we stayed at was minutes from the station, right on the front. had lovely clean rooms and was staffed by people who could not be more pleasant.
Book it you will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: Ring ahead and ask for a sea view on the 7th or 8th floor
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 March 2014

When I saw the hotel the first thing in my mind was : omg... It looked like an abandoned building, but I needed to stay somewhere and I already had my room booked and payed for. Thge room was dirty: dust on the surfaices, including the kettle that I didn't touch because it looked black instead of white. The walls were covered in dirt, the bins were not changes and there was pubic hair in the shower as well as sink. The toilet was dirty and I didn't have toilet paper. All night there was a lot of noise, so couldn't really sleep. You could hear police cars going up and down the road with sirens on. Besides there was a noise coming from the floor above me, don't know what it was, but it was really loud. The only good thing about this room is that they had a clean bed

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Travelodge

Travellers are raving about these Brighton hotels

Reviewed 8 March 2014

Having stayed at this hotel several times before I did not have to think twice about staying here again staff were very friendly nothing seemed to be too much trouble, room was clean tidy and comfy bed was one of the most comfy I've slept in bathroom was very clean, breakfast was good with a good selection to choose from, would not hesitate in staying here again

Beaminster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 March 2014

Room and bedding was clean,bathroom/shower clean but disappointing no shower gel/shampoo
supplied,just a tiny bar of soap,which was impossible to unwrap(I had my own toiletries)
Also no hair dryer in room.
I did not eat there so no comments on breakfast,although I did think £7.50 was expensive
and wanted WiFi...Travel Lodge WiFi £5 per HOUR!!! that freaked me ...what a rip off.....
I mention hair dryer/toiletries etc., on my departure,staff said it was being looked into.
Budget Hotel, but expected slightly more.
Don't know if stay again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
TravelodgeUK, Nicolas from Customer Services at Travelodge Brighton Seafront Hotel, responded to this review, 14 March 2014
We are sorry to learn that you were unhappy with the lack of toiletries and hairdryers in our rooms Deeqew. As a brand standard, we do not provide toiletries or hairdryers in our rooms, however toiletries can be purchased from our vending machines in reception and hairdryers are available from the front desk on a first come first serve basis. This then allows us to continue to offer great rates for our customers. We are also sorry to learn that you were unhappy with our WiFi charges. We would like to remain competitive with our charges therefore we would like to thank you for your feedback on this issue, however we are happy to confirm that WiFi is currently free in the bar café.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for one night. Staff were polite and the security was very good. The bed was comfortable. The shower was a little dirty. I would stay here for one night again as it is very close to the town.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 March 2014

Located by a subway that leads to the seafront. Staff were friendly and efficient. My room was generally clean and all amenities were in working order. However, the TV was tuned to only a few channels and the red button service was not available. It also did not contain a sleep timer. My room and the surrounding environment was quiet and the window was double glazed. However, The window needed cleaning and there was mould on the net curtain. The hot and cold breakfast buffet represented great value at £7.65. However, the windows in the restaurant were also in need of cleaning. Real ale was sadly unavailable at the bar. All of the floors are lift accessible. Staff asked if I enjoyed my stay when I checked out. Buses run along North Street nearby and there is a taxi rank outside my hotel. Apart from the windows, the hotel is basic, clean and functional and ideal for a couple of nights' stay in Brighton.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family