“Oh dear!”

Ranked #37 of 44 Hotels in Brighton
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Oh dear!”
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Room 607. Smelly, sweaty pillows. Appalling water pressure and no running hot water at all in the sink in the morning. Didn't hang about and checked out rather earlier than planned. Worth noting, to avoid £25 car parking for 24 hours, park in the NCP car park and get 25% off the parking cost. Too late to know about once you have parked and walked to check in from the Churchill square car park! Small rooms and definitely only worth staying in if you get a good cheap deal. I cannot believe the extortionate prices this dump charges! Avoid!

Room Tip: Try to avoid room 607
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 June 2014

We stayed for 4 nights arriving Monday 2nd June and departed Friday 6th June ... to say we were very nervous about our stay due to reading the many negative reviews on here is an understatement .... but I'm pleased to say we arrived at the hotel and check in was done in a couple of minutes by a very polite receptionist .... the room was in a clean tidy condition ... with a sea view as I had requested by ringing the hotel direct a week or so prior to arrival .... the hotel bed was really comfortable and I had 4 nights fantastic sleep ... yes the room is on the small side but as we were out and about most of the day and night it didn't bother us .... we had breakfast on our last morning and the staff were pollute and helpful telling us to help ourselves to as much as we liked .... the hotel is ideally sited in Brighton for the beach , the Lanes , hotels and restaurants .... I'm already planning a return trip to Brighton and will definitely be booking into the Travelodge ... we paid £25 a night for the room which I think was an absolute bargain .... the bed in the room was by far the most comfortable I've slept in out of all the various Travelodges I've previously stayed in and the pillows were fantastic too .... all the staff we encountered were friendly and helpful .... Wetherspoons is just a few doors up from the hotel .... we heard no noise during the night as mentioned in previous reviews .... and the reception area , bar-cafe area were all in a clean and tidy condition ... all in all I had a fabulous break at this hotel .... whether we found it quiet was because we booked a midweek break I don't know but I will definitely stay there again .... and I'd definitely recommend a visit to Choccywoccydoodah cafe to sample the cakes they make on site ... we also took the bus down to Brighton Marina where several more bars and restaurants can be found with views across the marina

Room Tip: A week or so before arrival I'd advise you ring hotel direct and ask for a sea view room
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Stevenage, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 June 2014

We checked in the hotel on the 27th of May, we was greeted by an okay worker, there was a group of 2 men sitting in the hotel watching us, which made us very uncomfortable, the ages of the people who stayed are 17 and 18. Went to the room, was very small, pictures did not match the actual room. Parts of the room was very dirty and a plug socket was hanging off in the room, Our stay was meant to be two nights and we come back to our hotel room at 7pm, the same night.When coming back, the men were still seating there and there was no one on the hotel reception. They were all too busy in the back talking, that is not there job? We went up to our room and we was watching tele in bed, all of a sudden we heard a massive knock on our door, we did not answer, this knock continued and it got very agressive. My friend went to look through the whole at who it was, it was them men, they had followed us up to our room. We did not answer the door and just layed in bed and was quiet, they were then quicking our door and thumping it, saying ' COME ON GIRLS LET US IN and 'ITS ONLY US'. This was very scary and we felt unsafe. I then contacted my father who then told me to call the hotel, this was about 7:45pm, i called, told them our room and gave them a description of the guys, they said yes 10 minutes then we will help?My thought was, is it not important too help two young girls at danger? We just wanted to leave, we told them that, so we packed our cases and waited another ten minutes, the men were getting worse and tried kicking our door in. It got very agressive, the hotel guys never come up which is SHOCKING. I rang the hotel 5 times, they accused us of getting the wrong room number, they was asking us to go outside and check our number, when the men were out there?NO CHANCE. We was sure our room was 612, we told them that, they apperently went to 512. I explained on the phone, that one of the guests had aniexty problems and health reasons meant that that person could not get worked up, they still didnt come. I rang 5 times. No One come. It took one very angry father to ring up for them to listen. This all went on for one hour. Someone then come up, i recall him as the manager, he spoke very little english and showed very little concern. He would not refund us(we got a refund sorted through customer services who are not happy with the incident) and showed no care in the world of helping us, the men were down stairs in the lobby but that still was not important. I do not recommend this hotel to anyone as it is unsafe, a let down, dirty and POOR staff.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Jade3632

Travellers are raving about these Brighton hotels

Shurlock Row, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 June 2014

The reception staff were very pleasant but the good points end there.... Dirty and expensive £140 for 1 night bathroom tiny and shower useless .... Corridors and lift filthy ... Very disappointed although location brilliant for brighton city center

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Travelodge

Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Stayed here 3 nights, May 28, 29 & 30, 2014. Booked online using the Travelodge UK site.
after a long journey from France arrived about 12:00 noon and needed early check in. First was told that was not possible then told that for £ 10.00 we could check in. Aswe were extremely tired, we agreed. Wefound the room to be very small and congested, no phone and no place to open up or store 3 pieces of luggage. Lack of toiletries disappointing as was the poorly laid out bathroom & shower. A flimsy shower curtain not designed to be the walls of the shower. The handle for the window broke the first time I tried to close the window. The room was terribly hot during the day and got cold at night. No thermostat to control this. Excessive noise in hallways and from outside. Friday night was the worst. Loud drunks yelling and swearing all evening then about 2:00 am more drunks yelling, running back and forth between rooms. Leaving beer bottles in hallway and arguing about which room to go to next. Then about 2:30 am, one guy decided to pee outside the elevator then ran down the hallway to the cheers and encouragement of his friends. As there was no phone in the room, I could not call security and had to wait for the drunks to close there door before I could leave my room. After telling security about these issues, the did come to our floor and the drunks then got quite until security went back downstairs. The noise then started up again and went on until after 4:00 am. We checked out Saturday morning and brought this matter to the attention of the desk clerk. After she made notes she stated she would bring this up with her manager. I suggested that we should not have to pay for the night. She agreed and stated that head office would likely issue Travelodge UK vouchers to us in a couple of weeks. I indicated that as we were not from the UK this was not satisfactory. She then agreed to make a refund for the Friday night to our credit card account. The only good thing about this hotel was the location to the beach and shopping mall. Sabrina at the front desk was great to deal with. Receiving a partial refund does not make up for the inconvenience & frustration. If you need a quite hotel for a good sleep, this may not be the place for you. We have stayed in Brighton before at other hotels and found that they were as cheap or cheaper and more comfortable. We will not recommend this hotel to other travellers.

1 Thank Tom Z
Nottingham
Reviewed 1 June 2014

For a Travelodge I was shocked at how expensive the room was. £150 for one night and it didn't even include breakfast in the rate, which I found to be appalling!

The room was too hot, the bathroom was small, it wasn't clean and it was in a noisy location. If you love the nightlife then you'll be fine, but be warned you won't be able to sleep until 5am as that is when the noise stops.

I can't fault the staff as they were friendly and polite. They were also approachable and happy to help.

The breakfast wasn't great. It was lukewarm and didn't look or taste fresh.

Lerum, Sweden
Reviewed 28 May 2014

The room was extremely small. There was no place to put the suitcase.
You have to pay extra for internet and only one person can be connected at the same time.
Breakfast was quite expensive and there was not much to choose from but it was a buffet so you could eat all you wanted.
We stayed 9 nights and the bedsheets was not changed once even though it was pretty messy since I bled from the arm. The bed was also poorly made. The bottom sheet was never in order.
Otherwise ok. Not expensive.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends