“Awful food and service? what service?”

New Steine Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
New Steine Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #426 of 1,196 Restaurants in Brighton
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Tucked away inside the fashionable New Steine Hotel in central Brighton is an award-winning restaurant serving up homemade French food. The New Steine Bistro has a cosy Parisian vibe, and the contemporary décor has a distinct Provencal twist. Set in a five-storey Georgian townhouse, this elegant restaurant attracts business travellers and tourists as well as food loving locals, and the classic French menu is made with produce sourced from Sussex farmers. Perfect for romantic escapes, working lunches and chic dinner parties, the New Steine Bistro boasts a certain je ne sais quois. Expect gourmet Gallic treats such as steak frites with garlic butter and Béarnaise; foie gras de canard, served with warm toast; and crème brulee.
Reviewed 10 June 2014

My partner booked us in here for a meal for my birthday. We were in Brighton for a weekend away and as I love french food it seemed like a good idea to try a french bistro. I have to say that the food was awful topped off by terrible service. Firstly on arrival we could not get in...we rang the bell several times which I found odd, why would a restaurant not have an open door? we were let in by a girl who did not apologise for keeping us waiting and just seemed to stare at us blankly when we asked her any questions. Finally a different waitress appeared who seemed to have the ability to speak, we ordered our food and what we got was just awful overcooked, bland and the wine we were served was corked I asked for the bottle to be changed and got another blank look. I have never known waiting staff to be so incompetent as they are here, in between serving us corked wine and awful food they just , well stared at you. We were obviously not alone in our dismay there was another table who were complaining about their food and also during our meal some guests of the hotel came down to complain about their room they were also met by blank looks from the staff and left almost as exasperated as we did when their complaints fell on deaf ears. What a terrible place enter at your peril!

1  Thank Martin B

Reviewed 6 June 2014

We booked a meal in the bistro of the hotel for four through Groupon. For the price we paid we did not expect gourmet cuisine but it was absolutely atrocious. I am not a fussy eater and my family were shocked to see me leave my starter but it was utterly inedible. I had snails in garlic sauce and they tasted like rubber in a foul sauce. The mains were marginally better, 3 of us had duck breast. Two of us asked for medium rare but they all came out cooked in the same way, The pudding was a chocolate mousse which tasted good but was slopped on the plate and looked like faeces. The service was slow and poor, there were 3 waitresses who stood behind the bar staring at us at the whole time. Bearing in mind that when offering meals on Groupon, restaurants make their money on the drinks, no one offered us more drinks so we decided to save our money and go elsewhere afterwards. To reassure that it was wasn't just us being fussy, the table behind us were also complaining about their meal and poor quality wine. Do yourself a favour and do not eat here, even on an offer.

1  Thank Hannah R
Reviewed 6 June 2014

Loved:
The Service
Seafood Salad
Roast Belly pork and great sauce with Frites
Creme Brulee
The Price! All for less than £14! ( I think it was £12.99)

Reviewed 5 June 2014

What a great place meal was great staff bit young inexperience but don't let put you off would go back first visit food lovely spotless looks nice place to stay very impressed

Reviewed 4 June 2014

We went here again with 2 friends on a living social deal. Food is excellent value of money and the staff are always attenative