“Nice dinner for two”
Review of IL Bistro

IL Bistro
Reserve with OpenTable
IL Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #33 of 1,203 Restaurants in Brighton
Price range: US$14 - US$42
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Locally owned and locally loved, IL Bistro is the original bistro in the lanes. A family run steakhouse brasserie that specialises in the best available scotch steaks, prime cut meats and seafood dishes. IL Bistro has worked with local food suppliers since 1976 and prides itself on being one of the longest serving independent restaurants in Brighton. Set in a fisherman's cottage which dates back to the 18th century in the reign of George I the restaurant is situated in the heart of the lanes in Market street and is within walking distance from the beach, Churchill square, the Royal Pavilion and the Theatre Royal and is open for pre theatre dining, breakfast and lunches seven days a week.
Reviewed 30 August 2013

We walk by in the afternoon and was a lovely atmosphere. We came back for dinner and we sat on the window. I went for chilli gambas and was the most bland gambas I tasted in long time, probably frozen ones. The spicy sauce was lovely and I use bread to taste it. Didn't enjoy my starter. My parter had prawns and salmon I looked and tasted lovely. For entree I had lamb chops and was delicious. Tender and tasty. My partner had chicken and was average, nothing special about. The waiter was polite and very cold and distant. Should smile more and be more a host. The bill was accurate and we left after a good expresso. Overall was ok, but with some space to improve. The service took a little considering was very quiet and is a small restaurant. Some of the food need to be redone. I would come back

Reviewed 20 August 2013

My boyfriend and I stumbled across this restaurant in The Lanes whilst hiding from the rain & cold. It looked inviting and warm from the outside but how far from the truth could we have been. We were warmly greeted but that’s about as far as it went. Our starters arrived - Fish Croquettes, most definitely frozen probably on special offer in Iceland. Gambas a la Pil Pil - tasteless, over cooked and poorly presented. Our mains of salmon fillet & a seafood risotto arrived, again bland and not to the quality of seafood you'd expect to get by the seaside. The creamy spinach arrived as bowl of wet leaves straight out the bag & the fries (you’d expect homemade) were virtually inedible and see-through.

On clearing our half finished plates of food the waitress asked if everything had been okay. I replied that my risotto was disappointing and wasn't even cooked with risotto rice. Her answer was that I hadn’t been the first person recently to have said that about the dish. She then went on to tell me that they were best known as a Steak House. In that case why offer a rather extensive seafood selection and corner your steaks in a box at the bottom of the menu?
This restaurant is a tourist trap and an embarrassment! Overpriced, we left feeling robbed and with a bad taste in our mouths. We should have gone to the local chippie – we would definitely have had a better meal!

1  Thank ZBCH
Reviewed 18 August 2013

My son and I stumbled across this little eaterie on Friday evening, lovely service and very tasty food, I had the fish,chips & mushy peas and have to say was the nicest, lightest, tastiest fish I have ever eaten, will definitely return here and recommend it to friends.

Reviewed 14 August 2013

Popped in here for a quick lunch when shopping in Brighton. Quite a little gem. Both my husband and I ate from the fixed price lunch menu, which if I remember rightly was only £10.00. We both had the pate as a starter and I then had the 'fish and chip' lunch and my husband had the lasagne. To be honest, I never expect much from fixed price menus, particularly lunch time ones but this was really lovely. The food was very tasty and well presented and house wine was also much better than is often the case. We sat inside the restaurant althought there is outside seating. The staff were very pleasant and attentive and I will certainly return when in Brighton on other occasions. Very good value for good tasting food, pleasantly served.

Reviewed 3 August 2013

originally sat down at a nearby restaurant but found nothing I liked on the menu so moved to Il Bistro and very glad that I did. Wide choice, but settled for the set menu which turned out to be excellent value. Service was prompt and friendly and I would definitely return when next in Brighton.