“Awful food.”
Review of IL Bistro

IL Bistro
Reserve with OpenTable
IL Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #67 of 1,133 Restaurants in Brighton
Price range: US$13 - US$38
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Locally owned and locally loved, IL Bistro is the original bistro in the lanes. A family run steakhouse brasserie that specialises in the best available scotch steaks, prime cut meats and seafood dishes. IL Bistro has worked with local food suppliers since 1976 and prides itself on being one of the longest serving independent restaurants in Brighton. Set in a fisherman's cottage which dates back to the 18th century in the reign of George I the restaurant is situated in the heart of the lanes in Market street and is within walking distance from the beach, Churchill square, the Royal Pavilion and the Theatre Royal and is open for pre theatre dining, breakfast and lunches seven days a week.
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Awful food.”
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Hate to say it but this is the worst food I've been served in a restuarant in Brighton. Me and lil' mama went on a Sunday and both had the 2 course for a tenner option plus drinks. Instead of going to the kitchen and cooking the food I think our very friendly and pleasant waiter went to Morrisons and got some microwave meals. This was not Mediterranean food, it was poor qualtiy microwave crap. The pate starter was oddly chalky in texture like it had been left out of the fridge for a long time or maybe it had went off. The breaded fish was bland. My lasagne was shockingly bad, stodgy, no flavour. Lasagne isn't all that difficult to make. Lil' mama's medium rare minute steak was chewy and poor quality beef, even for minute steak. The portions were good, if I wasn't starving I wouldn't have finished it. I actually felt like warning the couple that sat down behind us to save their money and go elsewhere. They need to put effort into cooking their food and sourcing ingredients. It was edible (in the way fingernails or hair is) and the waiter was nice but we won't return. There's so many better places worthy of your £30.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank Peter G

Seaford, United Kingdom
“Nice little Restaurant”
Reviewed 10 May 2014 via mobile

My fiancée and I went into this restaurant today on the off chance. We decided to have the £10 special. Very friendly service and a nice quiet atmosphere ( until four customers arrived and proceeded to play games on their mobile phones with the sound on!!) My fish cake starter was quite nice although I felt there was more potato than fish, the pate had a good taste although it was a little runny. It needed perhaps more butter to give it more body. We both had the steak which was well cooked and tasty. I personally would have preferred the accompanying salad not to have been drenched in Virgin olive oil ( not a flavour that I particularly enjoy) I understand from my partner that the Valpolicella was very good. It was nice to be given cold tap water with ice and lemon and not having "bottled" forced on us. We did not have a dessert or coffee. The bill was very acceptable with a 10% service charge added which we were happy to pay.
We would be very happy to have a return visit.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank robiwatts
London, United Kingdom
“Amazing easter lunch”
Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

My mum and I were walking in Brighton in a really rainy easter day and this little place caught our attention.
Amazing service and amazing food.
I will love to come back next time I will be in Brighton.
Lovely

Devon
“Excellent”
Reviewed 19 April 2014

My husband, son and myself ate in this restaurant about 3 years ago and whilst visiting Brighton last week we came across it again whilst walking around. We looked at menu and decided to eat there again.Booked a table for the evening and asked for one near window which we got.
Well what more can we say it was delightful. The guy that served us was very polite and the food amazing. Pate, prawns meat platter to start. Mussels, Pollock and the best lamb chops I have ever had in a beautiful sauce.Chocolate mousse, pancakes with cherries and cheese board. all washed down with two jugs of house white and red. It was served piping hot and had the fine dining touch on presentation.Very reasonably priced as well. This was off the al a carte
menu but also had a two course menu for £10 which looked very good too.
give it a try when you visit you wont be disappointed.

• Visited April 2014
Chesham, United Kingdom
“Just great”
Reviewed 9 April 2014 via mobile

Found this place by accident last year and had such a great meal and service my husband and I travelled over 150 miles to Brighton for our anniversary to go back and enjoy another meal. It was much busier than last year which was good to see but the service and food didn't suffer. The owner was around again and kept checking our food was ok and we enjoyed another wonderful meal at a very fair price. Just wish the restaurant wasn't so far away from us, and we will never go to a chain Italian again while this one is around in Brighton. Well done guys keep up the good work and we will be back again end of March 2015 to celebrate with you again.

Visited March 2014