“A Good Choice”

Ranked #412 of 1,217 Restaurants in Brighton
Cuisines: Pub
Good for: Child-friendly, Business meetings
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Locals and foodies mix in this delightfully bright and cheerful family-friendly food pub – a hidden gem, which has remained busy and buzzy since it opened six years ago. Something of a local institution, this fabulous pub serves good honest food, prepared with skill and passion. Beautifully prepared roast meals are served on Sundays from 12 to 6pm. With superb Sussex reared meats, a vegetarian and fish option as well as small portions for children, it’s hard to find a reason not to visit.
Reviewed 25 August 2014

This place was suggested to us as not from Brighton, pleased to say we were not disappointed.
Modern pleasant Pub, Staff were friendly and helpful.
We had roast lamb, and when this arrived the plate was full, the Lamb was a large portion almost like a steak, very tender, roast potatoes, roast vegetables, butternut, cauliflower cheese which was delicious, and balanced carefully a huge Yorkshire pudding. The roast had taste, and was served hot. Plus an extra jug of gravy.
Had no room for dessert.
Saw from previous comments people were disappointed with the changes made to this Pub, but sometimes changes have to be made to survive, we have seen so many Pubs disappear which is a shame, but providing you have good tasting food with reasonable prices, good service and good Staff you stand a chance. The Preston Park Tavern has all of these.

Reviewed 17 August 2014

What a joy to now have somewhere close that we can pop into for just a drink without being interrogated as to whether we would be eating or not!. This is now a great venue for both drinking and eating. The PPT is now a proper pub again (fantastic) and it's also a very welcoming venue (happy staff) with lots of drinks on offer and a great menu. We have eaten here on many occasions since the change of ownership and the menu does have something for everyone I would say; always tasty, hot, well cooked and presented. This wasn't always our experience with the previous owners; we had to send food back on three different visits and also witnessed other diners doing the same on a few occasions. With so many local pubs closing in and around Brighton, the PPT has done a great job in giving locals back a place where you can meet friends for just a drink or share a meal if that's what you fancy. As a music lover, I also can't tell you how glad we are that we can now listen to some decent tunes in the PPT instead of that dreadful boogie, woogie fake Andrews Sisters (I thinki!!) stuff.

Reviewed 28 July 2014

The Preston Park Tavern has been my favourite place to enjoy a Sunday Roast for a few years now. My fiancé and I thought we'd go for there for a quiet roast this Sunday to relax. I developed shock as I looked around and saw all the beautiful tasteful decoration had been replaced with cheap pub tat. I quickly realised the place had changed hands and must have been bought by a chain. It just didn't feel right and I noticed a lot less busy than would have expected. I am not surprised. They have killed the atmosphere with some theme that has no relevance nor style. The food and staff were ok but more a home cooked roast than a bistro experience though the same cost. I actually felt sad as I have so many memories of fabulous dining occasions there over the years. There were a couple of positives: the outside has been massively improved and a really nice glass of Cotes du Ventoux. However I expect generally sales will plummet and the place will change hands again (hopefully!). I will not be returning unless it does. How lucky to have experienced it before the corporate trash moved in! Got that off my chest now!

7  Thank Joopinder
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Myself and my partner have the happy coincidence of being located in the flats above the Preston Park Tavern. We are frequent visitors, we enjoy the friendly nature of the staff, the great selectition of ales and ciders, the lovely food we have had and the nice atmosphere. We could not have hoped to be so near such a lovely establishment and hope to be customers for some time to come.

3  Thank Little-Snooty
Reviewed 20 June 2014

We used to enjoy the former restaurant but there are plenty like it. This was needed in this area - a pub where you can just drop in and get a decent burger, chips etc. Decent cuppa even though you'd forgive them if it wasn't - being a pub. Prices not bad. Seats not very comfy but that was the only gripe. For me it passed from average to very good because of the service. Friendly, bit slow but you don't mind when the food is worth waiting for and it was. Will go again.

2  Thank littlelambSussex