“Perfect host and delicious simple Sicilian food”

Mediterraneo Restaurant
Ranked #20 of 1,133 Restaurants in Brighton
Price range: US$28 - US$32
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Mediterraneo Deli is a slice of Sicily specialising in regional Sicilian food. Restaurant by night, they also enjoy catering for all events, from lunch meetings to dinner parties and weddings. Friday & Saturday evenings, by reservation only. Mon to Thu Lunch/Dinner, by private hire only.
“Perfect host and delicious simple Sicilian food”
Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

My husband and I booked this restaurant a couple of weeks ago and had a prompt response from the owners who confirmed our booking. A couple of days prior we were sent an idea of what the menu would be for the night of our booking. This was helpful.
When we arrived we were greeted warmly and shown to our table. This small but perfectly formed cafe was very welcoming and cosy. Our wine choice and our choice of foods were explained fully which was great. The meal itself was beautiful with simple but delicious fresh flavours. The desert was lovely. Nearly 4 hours passed within a blink of an eye. Lovely host, lovely food, lovely cafe! Would definitely recommend.

Visited August 2014
4 Thank Laydee9

“This is special - unexpected; in a good way”
Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

Let's get the bad news out the way first..... There are only 5 tables..!

Basically; you need to book..

The atmosphere is fantastic, the host is Sicilian and very passionate about his craft..

The food is fantastic and it's a real hidden gem... Visit..!

5 Thank Citizen P
West Sussex
“Perfect for a special night out”
Reviewed 24 July 2014

The service was excellent. Giorgio couldn't have been more accommodating. The food was as described, rustic Sicilian food, but bursting with flavor and balance. Our favorite starter was the aubergine rolls, but the Arancini rice balls were also delicious. We had a choice of 3 options for each starter and choose to sample all six of the options. They were all amazing and I would recommend getting both starters and sharing them as this was a real highlight of the meal. For main courses we opted for the steamed cod which was my favorite, it was delicious and bursting with the flavors of caper and veg. The veal rolls were equally good. My advice is don't be tempted to add salt as the dishes were perfectly seasoned and I made the mistake of adding salt before sampling the dishes, as I typically find the restaurants don't season their dishes as well as I like. The atmosphere is intimate and laid back and somewhere I would return to again as all the dishes sounded lovely. The main course portions are generous. If you have room for puddings at the end there is a lovely selection. It's nice to go somewhere that you know that you have all night to relax. There is no worry about turning tables here. I can only echo the other reviews that have praised the quality of service and the authenticity of the rustic Italian cooking. If you are looking for smears of food on plates, go elsewhere, if you want a romantic home cooked meal straight from Sicily, then Mediterraneo should be top of your list in Brighton.

• Visited July 2014
4 Thank Cheryl S
Brighton, United Kingdom
“A perfect slice of Sicilian hospitality”
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Firstly, I must state that we booked on the strength of the Tripadvisor reviews for this particular restaurant. This place always sounded fantastic and intriguing. It was such an exciting mystery as I have lived 2 minutes walk away for 7 years and never been in, or even seen it open as a deli.
The email exchange with owner Giorgio set the tone, as we settled on a date a couple of month's away (due to my availability and the fact that Giorgio had a couple of events and was pretty much fully booked until then). All this did was serve to heighten the anticipation. Girogio was delightful to deal with over email, was very accommodating and delivered the menu during the week leading up to the booking, exactly as he had promised.
We arrived at 7:30 as booked, and were warmly greeted by name, by Giorgio himself (he runs FOH and his wife Sonia is in control of the food and the kitchen). The greeting was so friendly and we realised that each table is staggered so as to allow him that level of familiarity and awareness of who his diners are. It's a truly lovely touch and enhances what is already set to be an intimate experience.
I won't go into too much details about the menu. It is a simple 2/3 course affair, with traditional Sicilian highlights. Giorgio is at pains to make sure that we are aware this is Sicily not standard Italian fare. Reading a few of the more negative reviews, people clearly are unable to differentiate, but having tried the lasagne tradizionale, I can taste the distinct differences, and it was fantastic. The Arancini are delicious and clearly freshly cooked.
It was the little touches, in terms of amuse bouche (there must be a Sicilian term for those!) before the starters and again before the main, that make this special. Again, Giorgio, using our first names, explains the details of each morsel to pass our lips.
He and Sonia have picked the traditional wines to compliment the menu, and again, Giorgio is only too happy to describe the wines and recommend what will work with what. He is also kind enough to make sure that if you cannot decide between wines, then you get a taste of those you 'missed out on'. This ties in with his favourite phrase 'just hang on, I have a little surprise for you...'.
We dared to have 3 courses, and the desserts capped on the lovely home cooking. My girlfriend had a delicious, moist Limoncello cake, fresh from the fridge, while I opted for the Tiramisu. Again moist, and bursting with creamy, Amaretto and coffee flavours.
Service is first and foremost. As diners, we spent the entire evening feeling fortunate to be welcomed into Giorgio and Sonia's 'inner circle'. With only 14 diners, 2 nights a week, this is a wonderful thing to be a part of. Just don't go expecting a) Italian food, or b) fine dining, and you won't (shouldn't) be disappointed...!
We spent a relaxed and enjoyable 3 hours in their company, and had a delightful evening that lived up to the word of mouth and the reviews. We're already planning a return visit...

• Visited June 2014
4 Thank MrVilliers
West Sussex
“Perfect anniversary meal”
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Our first visit and Giorgio immediately made us feel welcome. A small and very intimate restaurant with a lovely atmosphere. The food was excellent and each course was described in detail by Giorgio prior to ordering. It made for a special celebratory evening with my son and his wife.

• Visited July 2014