“Nobody's perfect”

Warung Tujuh
Price range: US$11 - US$20
Cuisines: Indonesian
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Description: An authentic Indonesian ding experience Indonesian food is at it's best when it is eaten at a Warung, a road side food stall which is frequented by locals and tourists alike. At a Warung you are guaranteed a wonderful gastronomic experience at a very reasonable price. At Warung Tujuh it is our aim to recreate this dining delight for you here in Brighton. With our Indonesian Chef's and owner we hope to bring selection of the dishes that make up our diverse regional cuisine to your table and we hope you enjoy eating them as much as we have enjoyed creating them for you.
Reviewed 2 June 2014

If they were, I'd give this place a five. The food is delicious and although the service can be erratic, it's unfailingly pleasant and cheerful. It's small, so expect to be able to join in the conversation at the next table if you want to, but this place is well worth searching out if you like flavourful, spicy, reasonably priced food and friendly service.

1  Thank Mugwump42

Reviewed 21 April 2014

Really nice for something different. Restaurant is really small so suggest you book. Ambience is okay, made up 200% by the amazing food. Service friendly but intermittent, waiter did not know what one of the ingredients was and did not bother to check with a colleague. As I said food was fab so put up with the service and go! Reasonably priced as well,

1  Thank R0bert_T
Reviewed 3 April 2014

Taken there by a friend last month, having just moved to Brighton from London. This restaurant is much raved about in Brighton, but frankly I was disappointed, maybe because I am spoilt by the high level of Indonesian/South East Asian restaurants in London. Things were not helped by being served by an Italian waiter, who stared blankly at me when I was several questions about the food. Overall, it was disappointing, and pricey for what it was. A couple of the dishes (the squid and the beef rendang ) were left unfinished. Altogether very disappointing, but is that what I am to expect of Brighton restaurants?

Reviewed 2 April 2014

4th visit, 2nd review, and I am somewhat reticent about writing it because people might discover this magnificent gem tucked away downa side street.

However, I owe it to the staff to once again say what a great experience we had there. On each occasion I have had a different main course, and on each occasion the food has been exquisite (it was the Ikan Balado, but honestly it could be anything). In fact, the only thing we dont' change when we go is the Iga Panggang as one of the starters.

The staff are generally unfialingly polite and helpful (quick tip - order too little rice and then if you need more, it will appear pretty quickly, and it prevents you over-ordering!).

Sat upstairs for the first time, which was nice (although personally I prefer downstairs).

My one concern/issue would be taht the tables are very small. we've been lucky enough to go when it's surprisingly quiet, but I would imagine that when full there would not even be close to enough table space (we generally spill over onto a second pretty easily)

Reviewed 24 March 2014

This being our family group's first visit, we decided on a range of starters, mains and desserts to test the menu to its limits. It's a tough task for any restaurant to get everything right, but the four of us were surprised and delighted at the consistently high quality and well-differentiated flavours of each dish. The beef rendang, melt-in-the-mouth lamb, swordfish and prawn-stuffed squid were all delicious, with much cross-sampling to confirm our opinion that this was indeed a very special experience.

Finally, needing desserts to counter the splendidly fiery chilli-based sauces of our selected mains, we discovered that the pancakes and jackfruit, coconut and mango sorbets provided the perfect finish.

This little place was packed out, and deservedly so. Service was quick, professional and very friendly, and we emerged into the cold night air agreeing we'd had an exceptionally good meal at a restaurant we are certain to visit again.