“Best Indian Food in Brighton” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Planet India

Planet India
Ranked #84 of 1,098 Restaurants in Brighton
Cuisines: Indian, Asian
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Groups, Child-friendly, Cheap Eats, Kids
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Brighton and Hove, United Kingdom
“Best Indian Food in Brighton”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

I have been to Planet India more times than I can remember and I have never been disappointed. The welcome has been warm and friendly on every visit and the atmosphere inside is great.

The food is incredible and great value. The street food starters are delicious and definitely worth ordering. The option of ordering half and half mains is great and makes eating there amazing value for money. When going in a group, my friends and I often order a selection of half and half mains and share, this way we get to try the whole menu. The food is fresh and although it is filling, it doesn't leave you feeling unpleasantly full.

I anticipate that I will be visiting this restaurant many more times in the future. My only advice would be book well in advance as it is very popular.

• Visited July 2014

East Sussex
“Full up!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

My friend and I went here for dinner on Friday night, having made sure to make a reservation. The place was full and there was a lovely, happy atmosphere from the moment we walked in. There are family photos on the wall, thick carpet on the floors and the chairs don't match - so what! We ordered our drinks from the waiter (who was also the owner) and there was a dish of something very more-ish to nibble on.

After perusing the menu (no rush to order), we settled on THE starter to share - Bel Phuri without the yoghurt as my friend is lactose intolerant. However, I ordered a dish of yoghurt on the side and that was just right. The salad is very filling and full of wonderful fresh flavours.

We then had the half-and-half, ensuring that we had four curries. All were very tasty and with the cumin rice and onion paratha was too much to eat!

My friend sampled some of the beers on offer and I settled for cider which went very nicely with the food. Also, plenty of water available.

I thought it was good value at £18 for everything that I had.

Whilst waiting for our lift outside on the doorstep, sheltering from the heavy rain, and despite the fact that they had closed up for the evening, the owner and his wife offered to let us wait inside which I thought was very nice of them.

Oh, and very good, clean toilets - my mum always says you can tell a lot about a restaurant by the state of the toilets!!

Creteil, France
“Vegetarian restaurant, worth to try”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014

The restaurant is in a small street perpendicular to the square in front St Peter Church in the right hand side. the restaurant is open still 9h45 PM and it's crowdy, so you must come early without the reservation or you will have to eat outside.

All the menu is veggie, every dish with indian name has its own description of the ingredients. I ordered a salad DHAIBHEI PURI which is one of their best seller, it was really good and fresh and tasty, perfect for summer time. The main dish I took the Spinach Paneer and the Eggplant / Aubergines yogurt curry with the cumin rice (only choice). The Spinach Panneer is tasteless ( I ate better in London and Glasgow), the Aubergines is fairly good, the rice is a little too dry for my taste.

I paid 17.5£ for the meal (Salad +main +Rice), I think it's a little pricy.

For conclusion, I have a mixed feelings, maybe I didn't take the right dishes or Veggie dishes are not like the one with meat, but I think this restaurant is slightly over rated. However it s still be the interesting spot if you want to try something different.

Brighton and Hove, United Kingdom
“Disapponting, not at all authentic. All canned vegetables, over-cooked with cheap spices”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014

If you are into cheap booze and cheap Indian but unauthentic Indian food, only then it's recommendable. Otherwise, Brighton has a lot more fresh and more authentic Indian food options.

Everything is canned ingredient and overcooked with cheap spices. Nothing stays in the mouth, you basically just swallowing it. The cook does not understand how to prepare canned ingredients which are already cooked unlike preparing from scratch and fresh ingredients. Don't bother with the onion parathas, there is no onion in it! It's ready made from a shop and cooked on a pan. Authentic Indian parathas are not meant to be flaky, that is Mediterranean concept.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Nice atmosphere food okay”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

I went here with my mum and had a bit of trouble booking. The man didn't write my name down correctly so was a little confusion when we arrived. I had the raspberry lassi to drink which was delicious and the salady starter we had was lovely. However my main course, the paneer (spinach and cheese) wasn't very nice. It was pretty much just spinach and had little flavouring. However it is a nice atmosphere so would probably go again and order something else. Also the menu looks cheap as each curry is around £6/7 but then you need to order rice separately so it's actually not as cheap as first appears.