“One of the best”

Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 2 May 2012 via mobile

I travel a lot for work and as Indian is one of my favorites I have eaten in many restaurants, I must say that this one is one of the best I have eaten in. You can tell the food is freshly prepared and it tastes really nice, the waiter knew his menu and recommend a meal for me, I was not disappointed. I don't normally do reviews but have done this one straight after my meal. Well done Eastern Eye.

There are newer reviews for The Eastern Eye Restaurant

Reviewed 28 April 2012

I have lunch here quite often either alone or with work colleagues, the staff are always very welcoming and friendly. The food is Southern Indian. I'd recommend the Thali for lunch , choice of veggie, chicken or lamb with rice or chapatti, side dish, Dahl and poppadums. All this for between £5-7 depending on meat or veggie. Where else can you get a substantial, good quality lunch for almost a fiver ? Mustn't forget to mention the Dosas, which are superb and very filling. They also do a Thali in the evening , slightly larger with a starter and still under £10! I have come back to the Eastern Eye time and time again, never disappointed. I can't understand why one reviewer gave it 1* . Eat here and you won't be disappointed.

Reviewed 22 April 2012

As an ex-Londoner now relocated to a small town along the coast from B+H, I've had to top up on South Indian food on visits to Leicester and London. Not any more. I'll be making trips to Eastern Eye from now on. If you love Dosas and Uttapams and liberal use of curry leaves and coconut, you will love this place too.

We shared a "mini dosa" and pepper chicken starter. The latter was rated as "medium" and was properly spicy, tender and really tasty. The dosa was delicious, complete with sambar and cocunut chutney, just as it should be. My companion had had to be persuaded to eat something that didn't contain meat but definitely ate his fair share.

For main courses we shared a chicken, spinach and ginger curry, dal and an aubergine curry. I'd done my usual and ordered too much so didn't enjoy the mains as much as the starter. Next time I'll be ordering a full sized dosa and sticking, very happily with that. Oh, and a cobra.

Reviewed 28 March 2012

There are at least four Indian restaurants near where I live in Brighton, all very good. I'd never been to the Eastern Eye but the reviews were good and visiting family gave me an opportunity to try it out. It was a Tuesday and they were doing a buffet deal for £7-something, which included poppadoms, a dosa (freshly made and brought to your table - a meal in itself)), starters such as samosas and pakoras, and mains which included four curries (one based on butter beans) - all vegetarian, plus a can of soft drink (which I waived in favour of a beer!). My family ate meaty dishes a la carte and enjoyed them. The decor is modern, the staff helpful and friendly. We didn't order any desserts (too full!) but were brought some sweet fruity rice pudding to try, on the house. Will definitely be returning for another session.

2  Thank fredpipes
Reviewed 7 March 2012

This restaurant has now become our favourite Indian restaurant in Brighton. Having travelled around India a few years ago we have been searching for a restaurant that served authentic food and this is it! It's a great place to eat. It's not a place where you are rushed through courses. The waiters are always happy to discuss dishes on the menu. If you are used to 'ordinary' Indian restaurants you will find the menu very interesting with a good range of dishes both vegetarian and non-vegetarian. The food is absolutely delicious. My wife loves the Dosa dishes which aren't served in many places. We have always found the manager and waiters very friendly and helpful without being obtrusive.