The Willows
US$172
US$114
US$78
  • Beachfront
Ibis Brighton City Centre Station(Brighton)(Great Value!)
US$93
  • Breakfast included
US$169
US$156
  • Beachfront
Jurys Inn Brighton(Brighton)(Great Value!)
US$159
  • Bar/Lounge
US$245
Hotelpower.com
  • Pool
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 11 April 2011

We're from London, and decided to make the most of the warm Spring weather, and spend a day/night on the South Coast in Brighton. We're on a tight budget, therefore couldn't afford to stay anywhere luxury, so a night in the Sandalwood Hotel seemed ideal: Our room was £40 and the other couple we were with spent about £29 on theirs.
To be honest, we probably got what we paid for, but I'm very glad we only had to spend one night here... The room felt dirty: The carpet was stained, one of the blinds didn't shut properly (disasterous as we had a room on the ground floor, and our bed was alligned with the street outside!) and the paint in our room was peeling. Also, we were under the impression that we were paying for a room with one double bed and one single. We arrived to find three single beds - not the most ideal situation for a couple! Worst of all, the hotel has what can only be described as a "seedy" feel to it. When we returned both in the day and at night, there were a few dodgy looking characters hanging around the front entrance and the place looked generally rather run down. When I visit Brighton again, I'll be sure to pay a little more for a nicer hotel. Don't stay here, unless you're stay is very brief!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tasmyn D
Reviewed 8 April 2011

Me and 4 friends checked in to sandalwood as a cheap sleep for a few nights out in brighton, within half hour of checking in the hotel was actually raided by armed police and we were unable to leave our room for a good hour, the manager who seemed lovely was one of those arrested. The owner came down who was great. The hotel itself wasn't too bad a few of the rooms could do with updating and scarily one of our room keys opened all the rooms? Some rooms seem to be rented out to local DSS? All in all my friends spent the weekend petrified with all 5 of us sleeping in one bed and barrocading the door at night as a result of the police raid. All in all its ok for the price but for not much less then the travellodge and with no refund or compensation offered for this bad stay I would go on the safe side to the travellodge next time!

• Stayed: March 2011
1  Thank birdy1990
Reviewed 16 January 2011

I stayed at the Sandalwood Hotel last weekend for two nights with my girlfriend for a trip down to Brighton. I didn't expect much for the money. The service was very helpful and it was quick and easy to check in. We stayed in Number 5. After reading another review on this site I can admit the carpet did seem a bit dated but it looked like the room had been recently refurbished. The bathroom looked brand new and clean.
For the money this hotel is perfect.

Also you get a key for your room which is good because there is no cut off time to be back by!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DDuckstar
Reviewed 9 January 2011

I thought I would give this place a go, I read the reviews on here first of all and only noticed one bad review so thought i would give this place the benefit of the doubt. On arrival the guy that greeted me was friendly I can't fault that, but upon going down a strange narrow staircase to 'reception' if you can call it that (!) I was greeted by some bloke in his pants playing a play station which isn't really a problem for me personally but i thought it rather strange being a 'hotel', it looked more like my brothers bedroom. They were friendly enough and I won't fault that. My room was number 2 - which is right by the stairs of reception and near to the front door. The room was strange to say the least and it was confusing in a way that the floor was old carpet and filthy with stains and dirt and the two single beds looked like a double bed had been cut in two or something, and had big holes in the sides of them (?!). The bathroom looked like it was in a cupboard, i have to give them the benefit of the doubt and say it was clean. I did however have to rinse the shower out, but other than that it was clean. There was a small flat screen tv on the wall which I have to say was good for the price. IF HOWEVER, you want to get some decent kip at night don't bother staying here. The noise and people running about down and up the hallway and up and down the stairs was ridiculous. I had to stuff tissue in my ears to sleep and make a trip to the off licence to buy some alcohol to knock me out (!). The irony was the next morning there were two cleaners banging on my door wanting to clean the room (?!). In the end I only stayed the one night of the 3 I had paid for because I couldn't stand the noise and the room any longer and managed to get in somewhere else. In a nutshell if you want a cheap below average room for a night after a stag do or something where you're intoxicated then this will do the job well, if not don't bother if you want to actually get some rest.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank willow1980
Reviewed 24 August 2010

I found this little Gem on the net and was initially was somewhat sceptical as looks fairly basic in the photos.

On arrival I was pleased to find that the room was clean and comfortable and even had a flat screen TV.

Cost range from £15-£25pp, I think I would have struggled to find a better value hotel so close to all the action.

A great alternative to a travel lodge or alike.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple