“Eccentric non-chain cafe, with great food”
Review of Tic Toc Cafe - CLOSED

Tic Toc Cafe
Price range: US$0 - US$16
Cuisines: European, French
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: Situated in the heart of Brighton’s historic Lanes area, Tic Toc is a café / restaurant inspired by the classic café culture of Amsterdam’s Jordaan district, but with a distinctly ‘Brighton’ twist.The cafe is loosely themed around the quirky collection of clocks, cogs and other mechanical curiosities that decorate the space .We serve only the best coffees, teas and juices, using fair-trade and/or local produce wherever possible. We are also renowned for our great breakfast, lunches and cakes, serving a range of healthy options as well as many decadent specialities.....
Reviewed 12 April 2013

A decent non-chain coffee shop, with slightly eccentric service and decor. I always call in here for coffee and a snack if I am on shopping trips in Brighton, although it can be quite busy at peak times. The prices compare well with the chains, and the produce is very tasty, with some novel items on the menu.

There is a little seating outside for the hardy and, if it gets too cold, the staff will provide a blanket.

Service can be slow at times, and often I wonder if the chef has died, but the staff usually jump to order if you mention it.

Also opens in the evenings, but I haven't tried it then.

Reviewed 9 April 2013

I see the food reviews have been good, but unfortunately my experience over two drinks was not.

My wife comes to this cafe every visit to Brighton, and we needed a respite from the freezing rain so popped in for a drink.

She decided on a hot chocolate, and asked what was the difference between hot chocolate and another version called choc o lait which were both listed. It turned out that they only now do the trendy version which is a lollipop you disolve in your cup of hot milk. No standard chocolate flavour version was available but she was convinced to try the caramel one. I think she enjoyed it OK but the cup of milk was so small that it was gone in a flash. At £2.80 it seemed like an slightly pricey gimmick compared with a normal sized cup of normal hot chocolate.

I ordered an Americano but wasn't offered any milk - had to ask for some.

After we left I mentioned to my wife that I was unfortunately getting the impression that "funky" or "bohemian" often seem to go with "grubby". In Tic Toc the vinyl covered bench we sat on was torn, there were two large chips out of my saucer, and the table looked dirty. When I mentioned the offputting loos in another place we had been to she said "well it's a good job you didn't go in there then!"

Flair and creativity are great but in a food establishment the other details are so important.

Reviewed 16 March 2013

Small cafe in the heart of the Lanes. Delicious and imaginative sandwiches (I had the chorizo, hummous, rocket and roasted red pepper toasted sandwich, and it was one of the nicest sandwiches I have ever eaten). Hot chocolate is a cube of chocolate on a stick to melt in your mug of hot milk. The staff are friendly; the place is quirky and welcoming; the food is fresh and tasty....please can we have a Tic Toc Cafe in my town!

Reviewed 9 March 2013

AMAZING brownies, and a wonderfully light carrot cake! Also lovely friendly staff who were attentive even during a busy afternoon, recommend thoroughly!

Reviewed 23 February 2013

I have been to this cafe many times. It use to be very good. But on Saturday 23rd Feb 2013 I went just for coffee. We only ordered two coffees. The cafe was not even busy. After 10 minutes a cold white coffee arrived. £2.50 in a cup the size you would expect for 99p at a Wotherspoons pub. And even worse, they are now using the cheapest , bitterest coffee any coffee shop could buy. Probably from Lidl at a guess. The cappuccino we ordered never arrived. We waited 25 mins and it never came to the table. In that 25 mins not one member of staff walked into the restaurant. I walked up to the till to pay for the 1 coffee; All three female Saturday staff were busy talking. One stroking her hair in a food prep area. Would i ever go here again? Very unlikely. Just around the corner is Costa, Starbucks, and a whole selection of other coffee shops . Coffee shops who really can be bothered to look after loyal customers. Who can be bothered to actually give you what you asked for. TICTOC has obviously changed hands since i last went there. The new owners may want to look carefully at their staff choice. When i explained that i was only paying for the one coffee, as the other never arrived, one of the staff laughed at the girl who should have made the coffee. Yes i laughed as i walked out the door for the last time. On previous visits , over several years back, you had to queue to get in to this cafe. On this Saturday most tables were empty; no queue. I now know why.