“All appearance, no substance” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #22 of 121 Nightlife in Brighton
Brighton, United Kingdom
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“All appearance, no substance”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

The bar and cocktails look flashy. They put a lot of effort into the appearance of the place – even going as far as having a cocktail which includes a fire show. However there is no substance – the cocktails are nowhere as good as you’d expect for the price. it was an ok place to have a drink, but not really my scene.

1 Thank Holly S

Chartham
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fantastic evening, laughed the entire time!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

We did the cocktail master class with Matt yesterday for my hen do and it was absolutely fantastic!!!
Lots of useful information and ideas. We all made a cocktail of our choice and they were yummy!! Loved all the little details and it was clear Matt takes pride in his work, he was an excellent host and made our trip to Brighton so much fun!!
My favourite part was setting light to the cocktails, and the bar, at the end!!
Thoroughly recommend and want to come back already!!! Thanks Matt :-)

1 Thank Hannah_relf
eastbourne,eastsussex
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Gone from upmarket cocktail bar to a bit of a dive”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

Having been to Merkaba on many occasions over the last 5 years, on my last visit I was shocked at how it had changed so much. It used to be somewhere nice to go, with good cocktails and people well dressed enjoying a night out. When we went last Friday 4th July, we were met with male customers in casual shorts and flip flops and when I ordered a Bellini it was made with the dregs of 3 almost empty prosecco bottles. When this was mentioned to the bar staff, they didn't change the drink, I was just told that really I should be charged more!
We felt over dressed, which was not the case a while ago, there was an unwritten dress code rule and it would seem you may come in dressed how you like.
I emailed the Hotel to complain about experience and have still not heard anything, over a week later. Very disappointing and the appeal has been lost.
If you want a nice drink and a slightly better bar experience, I would walk down to Hotel du Vin.

4 Thank katesonholidayagain
Worthing, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Cocktail Making”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014

We took the cockatil making masterclass for my friends Hen. It was absolutely fantastic. The bar tender Matt was funny, informative and clearly enjoys what he does. He took great pride in his work and the cocktails were first class. I would highly recommend the masterclass for anyone looking for something a little different to do for an enening. Good value for money as well. Loved it!

Visited May 2014
2 Thank mandraki69
Brighton, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Love it”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

We love this place. The cocktails are superb, I'm a vodka martini drinker, and this place make the best in town. The acoustics are great, allowing the lively atmosphere to kick off without it getting in the way. Try to get a table at the fish tank end, start a tab, and enjoy your night. Friday tends to be a younger early twenties crowd, saturday more thirties upwards.

Visited May 2014