“Lovely, if fading allure in places”
Review of The Grand Brighton

The Grand Brighton
Ranked #9 of 44 Hotels in Brighton
Guildford
“Lovely, if fading allure in places”
Reviewed 13 January 2012

We had my partners birthday here, with friends in the restaurant. We hired our own musician, which they allowed us to bring along and we were seated in the Grand conservatory, which is beautifully lit in blue. We had a window seat and made to feel welcome with very charming young waiters and waitresses from around the world.
Surprisingly good value food and our friends have been back for afternoon tea since.
I havnt tried the rooms yet so cannot comment.
I would add my only complaint is that I feel a little money could be spent on the cloakrooms and the bar area, which look like they havnt had a refurb for many years.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
AMGMDGB, General Manager at The Grand Brighton, responded to this review, 18 January 2012
Thank you very much for your kind comments following your partners birthday.

I am delighted that you had a great time and managed to enjoy the wonderful surroundings of the Kings Terrace in our Kings restaurant . So many of our guests comment that they enjoy their time sitting watching the world go by and the views of the sea. I am also very pleased to hear that the staff looked after you.

We hope to welcome you back to The Grand Hotel soon and, in the meantime, I hope you will keep persuading your friends to come and try the Kings Restaurant and Victoria Lounge

Kind regards

Andrew Mosley

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,127)
  • Arabic first
Confolens, France
Reviewed 12 January 2012

Had a good value break including breakfasts, and an evening meal. The meal was rather dissapointing we chose the lobster spring rolls which looked like they came from Icelands, and expensive for what they were. I had the fillet beef which was a round steak oddly cut into 3 pieces resulting it being dry and tasteless. The portions were small. The cheese course was very good.

The wine list was good with some good value choices.

The breakfast were good, but we did have to return our poached egg twice owing to it being undercooked then overlooked.

The room was clean, with a comfortable bed, but the room had no view at all, both windows were none see through, and outside below was a very loud air con system ( perhaps for the entire hotel?).

Room Tip: Ask location of room, and description, and what views?
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your comments.

I am sorry that there were one or two negative aspects to your stay.

In terms of the food I can assure you that any comments we receive about menu are considered when we next make changes - normally every 3 months or so. Generally we receive very good feedback, underpinned by the team being awarded our first rosette at the end of last year, but we accept there is always room for improvement.

It is fair to say that room types do vary at The Grand most notably due to a sea view or an inland view - and of course this is reflected in quite significant prices differences. However I am pleased that the room was still cleaned to your satisfaction, the bed was comfortable and you considered your break to be good value for money.

regards

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 January 2012

We stayed here on their special, after Xmas and before New Year offer, and couldn't fault it. The hotel is lovely and comfortable, the staff friendly and the room nice and spacious with a proper size flat screen TV with digital channel choice! We even had a bottle of bubbly in our room on arrival, which was all part of the deal and very good value for money, and there were lovely Pecksniff smellies in the bathroom, which were a real treat. The breakfast was cooked really well, considering the amount of people they have to cater for, and there was plenty of choice. Highly recommended.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
AMGMDGB, General Manager at The Grand Brighton, responded to this review, 16 January 2012
Thank you for your kind comments posted on Trip Advisor

I am very pleased you had a great stay and enjoyed the small treats and room facilities which are standard to all our rooms eg the upgraded toiletries and the large HD freeview flat screen TV's which we have very recently installed.

Thank you also for your positive feedback about the breakfast which we work hard at to get right in order to not only leave a good final impression but also to try and ensure guests feel they have had good value for money

Saltdean
Reviewed 9 January 2012

Just returned from a 2 day stay and have only good things to say about the restaurant and the food.A particular mention and thank you to Matthew and Jose, who took care of all our requests.We could not wait,however, to escape from our cell,room 207.We saw no daylight for 2 days,got locked in toilet twice, because of faulty lock and the bath is a danger with no handles.The safe is not fixed and can just be lifted out of the cupboard with no problem.You can't even open the fridge,as the handle is wedged inside the unit.We also had problems eating in th restaurant and were told Sunday lunch had been booked for days,presumably by local residents.We did relay our comments to senior staff but to no avail.It really does need updating.

Room Tip: Try to get room 218 or a room at front of hotel
1 Thank Saltdeancatlovers
Thank you for your post on Trip Advisor

Firstly thank you very much for your kind comments about the restaurant, the food and particularly the staff - notably Matt and Jose who you mention specifically. I will ensure they are personally thanked and they get your comments. I am sorry you didn't get the chance to try Sunday lunch which we have recently updated and has been a huge success. If you plan to come back to Brighton I would suggest an advanced booking is made as it is very popular.

Secondly, I am sorry that you were disappointed with the room. However on your point about the lack of light I am a little confused as there are, of course, large windows in 207 albeit I accept that these overlook the back of the Hotel so don't get the amount of light that the larger sea view rooms on the front of the hotel enjoy. On the other issues you report in your room I will personally inspect the faults you highlight and ensure they are immediately corrected.

Thank you again for your valuable feedback

Midlands
Reviewed 9 January 2012

The Grand Hotel looks lovely from the reception area and the bar is cosy with high backed traditional chairs and a real fire. However, the room we stayed in (room 109), was not great and although we didn't expect a great view as we were at the side rather than sea view, we had a view of a very mucky looking wall with gruesome looking pipes on it, which was about 2 feet from the window. The window hardly opened and we ended up propping it open with the teabag tin, just to get some air!
The bed looked fine but actually trying to sleep in it was like sleeping in a crisp bag as the bedding rustled a lot. It felt ok but was so noisy and on my husband's side of the bed, the mattress made a very strange noise when he moved!
The room itself was very small but not too uncomfortable (as long as my husband and I timed our movements around the room so that we didn't bump into each other!)
The fittings were very tired and old looking but not in a traditional and cosy way. The wardrobe door was hanging off it's runners and the rust stains in the bathroom were a little offputting.
Having said all of that, it was fine for one night as we really wern't there long but more than one night would have caused me to ask for a room change.
The reception staff were lovely and very efficient.
The house wine was awful and VERY expensive. We have had much nicer for half the price.

Parking is advertised as 'first come first served' with no entrance until 3pm or prebookng permitted. We arrived at 2.50pm but the concierge informed us that it was already full! - Not sure how that happened.
However, it does cost £30 for the night so perhaps this was a bonus. We parked in the NCP at the back which was still £25!

Breakfast was very average and the staff at breakfast service were not very happy to be there. Some Customer Service training wouldn't go a miss here.
My husband was unable to eat the sausages he chose as they smelt very dubious so that was disappointing and the 'Eggs Benedict' was only 1 egg so was actually 'Egg Benedict' - Such easy things to get right.

Finally, we were surprised to be asked pay a £2.50 surcharge for credit card payments. This is not what we expect from such a large organsiation. Very poor.

Overall, we didn't have a terrible time but we would not stay again

Room Tip: Ask about the room and it's location before booking.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your extensive feedback on Trip Advisor following your recent stay.

I am naturally very sorry that it would appear you left The Grand feeling disappointed and I apologise for the shortfalls that you have highlighted. I will personally inspect the room and pick up with my team on the issues that you have reported. However I was also pleased to read that there were still some positive elements to your stay and the room still "worked" for you for your short stay in Brighton.

We accept that our "standard inland" rooms do not enjoy the views that those on the front of the Hotel do - which so often receive fantastic comments. However we do feel this is pointed out at the time of booking and is, of course, reflected in the price as you would expect. Given the fact that many of these rooms are several floors up we have to restrict window opening to ensure our guests safety (as is the case in so many hotels these days I'm afraid) as they obviously do not have balconies.

On some of the other points you raise, firstly our beds often get good reviews and we use fresh crisp linen so I am sorry if this wasn't to your satisfaction - again I will ensure the bed is inspected. The car park often gets busy and we have less than 50 spaces – so if there are lots of guests staying more than one night it can be full before arrivals for subsequent nights - but again, I am sorry you were frustrated by this.

Finally I can assure you that all our food is fresh and we set ourselves very high standards. Other reviews on this site will confirm that satisfaction at breakfast is very high overall.

I hope that this has answered some of your points but if you would like to correspond with me separately then please feel free to contact the hotel through the numbers and/or email address on our web site

London
Reviewed 7 January 2012

Having stayed the previous year at the Royal Bath in Bournemouth, this year we once again took advantage of one of the De Vere New Year's Day deals at The Grand. Again, looking at some of the reviews here we didn't quite know what to expect but the truth is we were really happy with the room (a deluxe sea view on the 3rd floor), the staff (who couldn't have been more helpful and polite), the food (the eggs benedict at breakfast was superb) and the overall atmosphere.

To answer some of the critics, granted the car park isn't cheap, but it's very convenient. And, yes, there's an air of slightly faded opulence about the hotel, but that's what we like and in our opinion it's far better than some swanky, shiny & soulless place.

The Grand's main areas were buzzing and alive and obviously the hotel is super convenient for the beach and the town.

An enjoyable stay and we will return.

Room Tip: If you can, get a sea view room with balcony.
london
Reviewed 5 January 2012

We stayed for one night on the 2nd of January.
Positives
The entrance to the hotel is impressive and the staff are very welcoming
The breakfast is great with lots of variety

Negatives
Fixtures and fittings in the bedrooms need updating. The window didn't close properly and the howling wind prevented us from sleeping.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
AMGMDGB, General Manager at The Grand Brighton, responded to this review, 7 January 2012
Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor

Naturally I was very pleased to read about the positive elements of your stay and I will ensure that your compliments are passed on to the whole team.

I am sorry however that you also found some negatives to report. The Grand is an old building and therefore does "creak" a bit at times particularly when we experience the gale force winds that lashed Brighton's sea front on the night of your stay. I am sorry if this disturbed your sleep but I am sure you would agree the weather was extraordinary.

We also accept that our bedroom fittings are not the most modern - but again feel that this adds to some of the character of this beautiful hotel.

In summary I hope this has not put you off returning to The Grand and we can look forward seeing you again soon