“Fantastic Hotel”

Ranked #9 of 44 Hotels in Brighton
Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
“Fantastic Hotel”
Reviewed 30 April 2012

A fanatastic hotel on the seafront in Brighton. A lovely hotel to stay in or just go for a meal.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
AMGMDGB, General Manager at The Grand Brighton, responded to this review, 4 May 2012
Thank you for you kind comments on TA and we hope to welcome you back to the hotel very soon.

Regards,

Andrew Mosley

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,143)
  • Arabic first
falmouth
Reviewed 30 April 2012

We stayed here for the weekend and found the position superb for our purposes. The staff warm and friendly, the breakfast was a great start to our day and we enjoyed the bar on more than one occaision.

The room however was a big disappointment. It hadn't been cleaned very well, the toiletries not replenished and the usual British hotel shower, much too low for anyone around the six foot mark and lacking in power. Shocking view! On the upside the bed was extremely comfortable.

We had specifically requested adjoining rooms which was not a problem according to central reservations but on arrival we were informed that they had no rooms to suit our needs, more than a little annoying. Had we known this we certainly would have stayed elsewhere.

This was once a very Grand hotel and the central staircase is stunning but the whole place felt a little tired.

Would we stay again? Possibly.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
AMGMDGB, General Manager at The Grand Brighton, responded to this review, 8 May 2012
Thank you for your comments on Trip Advisor

I am very grateful to you for your complimentary remarks and I will pass on your comments to the team in particular those working in the breakfast and the bar.

However I am sorry that you did not feel the housekeeping was up to standard and we will address this accordingly

Finally in terms of room allocation I am also very sorry that you did not get the rooms you had asked for. There is no reason why this should have happened and I will follow this up with our reservations department.

Thank you again for writing and I hope that you will give us another chance soon

Regards

Hastings, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 April 2012

We stayed here about 7 years ago and vowed never to come back as the rooms were awful with no ventilation and whilst taking advantage of the valet parking they crashed my car into a concrete wall or bollard and conviently there was no cctv serving this area.
We regretfully returned on an all expenses paid night out on the 27th April 2012 only to find the room again had no ventilation with all windows screwed shut and the decor out of date and in poor condition. Our sleep that night was very uncomfortable due to the lack of air.
We had breakfast in the morning with a great view of the seafront framed by a window that had damp problems with paint and plaster in very poor condition. There must have been a party in this room the night before as there was food all over the floor and before you ask this was not food found on the breakfast menu.
This hotel is so overated, we have stayed at the Metropole and the Thistle in the past and recomend these to anybody.

Room Tip: Get a seaview room or choose another hotel.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Longview434

I am very sorry that you were once again disappointed by your stay at The Grand. I can’t comment on your stay in 2007 however I can only say how disappointed I am that you did not feel that there had been any improvements since your last stay. We accept that the hotel is in need of some refurbishment in certain areas but this should not excuse us failing to get the basics right and I will address this with the team.

On the matter of refurbishment I am delighted to say that this year De Vere are investing substantial sums in to the whole property and so returning guests will really start to see a difference in our surroundings very soon. Whilst I appreciate this is cold comfort to you now I hope it may persuade you to reconsider giving us one last chance some time in the future.

Bexhill-on-Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 April 2012

stayed one night in a room the size of my shed at home. terribe carpets floorboards that creak all the time, bathroom falling to pieces no a/c.The bar area is nice and the breakfast was ok although a bit cold.staff seemed to have too much to do so not very attentive. overall very poor and not grand in any way.

Thank you for your comments on Trip Advisor

I am sorry that you left The Grand feeling so disappointed overall with your stay overall but have noted that there were a couple of small positives in your remarks.

If you would like to pick your complaint up with me personally then please email me via the Hotel web site and I will endeavour to reach a satisfactory outcome for you

I hope to hear from you soon

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 28 April 2012

I stayed one night at the De Vere Grand for business reasons. It was my second stay at this hotel after a company meeting about a year before. Room rate was 130 GBP including breakfast, fully flexible (there are cheaper restricted rates available).

The De Vere is located at one of Brighton's prime locations, just at the sea front with a great view over the channel and the pier. Downtown Brighton can be reached within a couple of minutes walking distance. Its about a 10min drive from the station, cap was around 5 GBP, it would also be possible to walk.

The public areas of the De Vere are fairly extensive, while the reception can get a little busy considering the size of the hotel. Check-in was friendly and efficient. A unique feature about this hotel is its central staircase with the glass dome, very nice!

I was given as requested a room high floor, away from elevator and with a bathtub. Each room of the hotel is decorated slightly differently, as you would expect from a historic property like the De Vere. Decroation is all British, dark woods, heavy dark textiles with traditional patterns, golden lamps and plastering. All in all the rooms have a lot of charm and personality and a decent mix between style with a spin of luxury. The rooms are in good condition and above average to what you get in most British hotels and perfectly clean. My room did feature a queen size bed, a desk, lounge chair, ironing and pressing facility, large flat TV but no AC. You get complimentary WiFi at this hotel.

Bathrooms can be a somewhat unpleasant surprise in British hotels. Not so in the De Vere Grand, while most importantly it was perfectly clean yet also in a good condition and did even feature a small window.

Breakfast at this hotel is all British too; good choice of hot and cold options and even a choice of cooked breakfast! Breakfast is served in the hotel's main restaurant and while the room is rather big; its not too noisy and still a pleasant experience to start you day here.

I did not test dining or the bar.

All in all a wonderful property I would select anytime again. The hotel is in a good condition, nicely decorated with a lot of charm and personality, good location at a wonderful value for money.

+Charm and personality of the property and its decoration
+Location
+Value for money
+Free WiFi
-No complimentary water
-No AC (usually not needed though)

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
Thank you for your positive feedback following your recent stay at The Grand.

I appreciate you taking the time to offer such a detailed account of your experience with us. Your comments really do provide a very useful and honest reference guide for our future guests.

Our prominent location along with the charm, history and character of the hotel, are features which we really do feel set us apart from our competitors. We agree that our sweeping spiral staircase is a truly unique masterpiece of Victorian grandeur. This character and finery, mixed with modern functionality (free wi-fi and flat screen televisions), is certainly followed through into our bedrooms and public areas, so I am glad you enjoyed the hotels lasting traditional features.

We receive consistent praise on our breakfast offering and providing choice and quality options for all palates is our main focus. You can also enjoy breakfast in our King’s terrace, adjacent to the main dining hall, which offers fantastic sea views!

Thanks again for writing and we hope to welcome you back very soon for a future business visit.

Regards

Wisbech, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 April 2012

We stayed at the hotel for one night at the beginning of April and this wasn't my first choice but i couldn't get in at the other two, when we walked in the glass on the door was broken and i'm sure it was broken when i was last in Brighton about three years ago. The check in was smooth enough albeit quite a small area. The bar area is very nice and relaxed exactly how i expected it to be "Grand" unfortunatley thats about all that was good. Our room was terrible, when paying £155 a night i expected more than a box room that was barely big enough for the bed and wardrobe. It was so dark and dated, the bathroom was very dated as well and needed updating. The panel on the vanity unit was held on with sellotape. The shower worked backwards, for hot water turn it cold and vice versa. The only good thing about the room was you couldn't hear next door. Duct tape holding carpets down as well on the stairs. It really does need updating. As for the breakfast it was awful, the weather was cold and wet so a hot breakfast was in order but it was terrible. Cheap produce tastes cheap and the service was almost non existant. I certainly wouldn't stay here again.

Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor

On a positive note thank you for your kind comments about the smoothness of check on and the bar area.

However on your other points I am sorry that you left feeling disappointed with your stay due to the impression you got from the building and your room.

I am sure you will understand that, occasionally, problems arise that are unexpected and the front door is one of them. The glass was accidentally broken by a member of the public and we have replaced it as fast as we have been able to given that it is a special made to measure piece of glass for the revolving door.

In terms of your room I apologise for the poor levels of maintenance. We are addressing this by investing throughout the entire hotel this year and I am sure that returning guests will really start to see a difference soon.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 April 2012

Excellent location and I think most of the rooms have a sea view. Mine certainly did with windows opening on to a small balcony. The room was large (very large by normal UK standards), with a comfortable bed. It had its own fridge and tea and coffee making equipment. Some of the decor was looking a little bit tired but it was clean and that's the main thing.
The breakfast was good and all of the hotel staff I dealt with was pleasant and professional.
If I had any complaint at all it's the lack of parking. Brighton is not a great place to take a car to and with the NCP car park nearby charging £25 for any stay over 4 hours, up to 24 hours, it can get quite expensive. I imagine all the sea front hotels have a similar problem.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
Thank you for your recent review.

I am pleased to hear that you had such an enjoyable stay with us.

The Victorian architecture at The Grand means that we are very fortunate to be able to offer our guests very spacious rooms. Pairing this with stunning views of the sea, which many of our rooms offer, it really does make the difference and sets us apart from our competitors.

In regards to your comments on the parking, I do understand your feedback. As a city centre hotel, which is located so centrally, parking can be an issue during busy periods. We have our own small private secure parking facility at the hotel but, as you explained, there is also an NCP located just behind us. As an alternative to bringing the car, we are only 5 minutes from Brighton Station by taxi, which is just 55 minutes from London and 25 minutes from Gatwick Airport. A great way to travel and very reasonable priced.

Thank you again for your constructive feedback and we hope to welcome you again on a future visit to Brighton.