“Avoid - stay at the Metropole instead!!”
Review of The Grand Brighton

The Grand Brighton
Ranked #9 of 43 Hotels in Brighton
Exeter, United Kingdom
“Avoid - stay at the Metropole instead!!”
Reviewed 10 July 2012

This hotel is far from grand!! The rooms are extremely dated, with minimal natural daylight and central heating that you can not turn off!

The mattress on our bed was very hard and uncomfortable, we were told that we could swap rooms but then this offer was later retracted! They offered a replacement mattress but this never showed up!

Apparently the swimming pool is closed because the hotel has run out of funds, this would explain alot!!

Positives - the bar staff, concierge and breakfast were all excellent.

Room Tip: Avoid - stay at the Hilton Metropole instead (located next door to the Grand)
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
AMGMDGB, General Manager at The Grand Brighton, responded to this review, 6 August 2012
Thank you for your review.

I am sorry that you left us feeling upset by your stay.

Certainly it is not my place to comment on our competitors (Trip Advisor reviewers do that for me!) but we are very pleased that our refurbishment is now underway and will, no doubt, set us apart again in the future from the other hotels in Brighton and beyond.

On a specific point you make I would respond that the pool is not closed due to lack of funds – far from it in fact. Instead we are creating a fabulous 7 room spa at the moment in this part of the hotel, with state of the art gym, plunge pool, steam and sauna rooms and this will be opening towards the end of this year.

Thank you again for posting your comments

Andrew Mosley

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,144)
  • Arabic first
Stafford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 July 2012

Stayed here for a night during Jubilee week. The hotel reception feels very luxurious as you walk in. The concierge were superb as it was raining heavily, they took our car and parked it for us, and then bought it round for us when we were ready to leave next day.
We upgraded for an extra £30 to a sea view double deluxe and what a treat it was.
Stunning views from the floor to ceiling windows, with french windows that open out onto a balcony.
The room itself was huge, with one of the most comfortable beds I have ever slept in.
Breakfast was lovely, with lots of freshly cooked food.
Close proximity to Regent Square but just nicely away from the nightlife.
Would def stay there again

Room Tip: For £30 more upgrade to a seaview double deluxe. Its just a beautiful view
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
AMGMDGB, General Manager at The Grand Brighton, responded to this review, 1 August 2012
Thank you for your feedback following your stay over Diamond Jubilee week.

I am very pleased to hear you received such a warm welcome to the hotel. Our valet parking service really is a hassle free option and Concierge will be pleased to hear your kind comments.

Many of our guests do decide upgrade on arrival should rooms be available. It really is a small price to pay for such a stunning view, which really adds to your experience. I am very pleased you enjoyed the room so much, we are very lucky to be able to offer such spacious guest rooms at The Grand.

I am glad you enjoyed breakfast. It is always so highly received, largely as we offer such an abundance of choice.

Thanks again for writing and I look forward to inviting you back again in the future.

Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 July 2012

We had a lovely room, spacious and on the whole very comfortable for an old hotel. It is tired and I can't believe that a refurbishment will be complete any time soon as I didn't see any signs of an update at all. We were very lucky to get a fabulous deal through Hotel.com and were well chuffed with our two night deal. Thank you to the staff who were all great.

Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review.

I am pleased to hear that you had an enjoyable stay at The Grand and were pleased with your room. Our refurbishment programme is well underway. However, we made a conscious decision to phase the works to avoid any disruptions to normal hotel operations. This may be why you were unaware that they were ongoing during your visit. I am pleased to say that we are making very good progress and a selection of newly refurbished rooms were put back into service just last week.

Thank you again for writing and we do hope to welcome you back to The Grand in the future, hopefully when the full works are complete where you can enjoy our fantastic new facilities.

Adelaide
Reviewed 10 July 2012

We were booked into a standard room and upgraded to a beach view room. The room was big, light, well furnished and wonderfully located and the view was really special.
The reception staff and the people cleaning the rooms were excellent however the service at the bar was slow and the staff were forgetfull.

Room Tip: Beach view room is worth the extra cost
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your recent comments on Trip Advisor.

I am pleased to hear that you had an enjoyable stay at The Grand Hotel and you had the opportunity to experience one of our sea facing rooms. We are extremely lucky to be able to offer such stunning views and I agree, those rooms do make for an extra special experience. I will make sure to pass on your kind comments to our reception and housekeeping teams.

I am sorry that you felt that the service in the bar was a little slow. The bar can get busy at times, however it is our aim to offer a prompt and attentive service at all times. I will pass on your feedback to the team to address.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 July 2012

The Staff at this hotel are 5 star but sadly the state of the hotel in terms of its decorative finish and structural repair really are substandard. To say that we were disappointed and shocked by the overall state of repair of this hotel would be an understatement. On arrival the entrance hall, reception and bar area look and feel lovely, we were greeted by one of the managers a lady called Andi whose customer service skills throughout our stay were exceptional. We have travelled extensively and I have yet to meet such an efficient, attentive, caring and problem solving manager. We found our room and the alternatives shown not to be representative of the grand entrance area, but to be substandard in terms of the decorative finish and structural repair, as demonstrated when the rain came and our ceiling leaked (substantially) throughout the night!! Celebrating our 15th wedding anniversary our experience was one that we wont forget and without going into the full gory details, I will conclude by saying that despite the disappointing lack of quality and structural repair (with evidence of water damage throughout the building) the conduct of the manager in dealing with our complaint was exceptional and on this basis we will visit again, once the programmed refurbishment (which we were advised of during our stay) is completed and we hope to experience a stay that replicates what the name of the hotel suggests!! Until the refurbishment is complete we would not recommend staying at the hotel in terms of value for money as the structure and condition of the hotel lets down the the efforts and first class service provided by all the staff we met!

1 Thank VivaLulu
Thank you for your review.

I am very pleased that you enjoyed so many aspects of your stay including the “5 star” staff with whom I am very proud to work. We invest a lot of time and effort in ensuring our team are equipped to offer the very best levels of service and we are often told by guests that it is them that make it worth spending the extra money on staying at the Grand. My deputy general manager, Andi, is very much a part of ‘making this all happen’ so I am delighted that you noticed her leading from the front by example.

The refurbishment that is currently underway will solve all the issues that you raised regarding the buildings however the torrential and incessant rainfall we experienced during your stay tests this lovely old building to the limit! I am sorry that this spoilt your stay but once again I am very pleased that your comments were so sympathetically deal with by the duty manager.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 July 2012

£100 less than the Savoy and nowhere near! Condoms left in the room from the last guests, leaking shower, toilet that doesn't flush, lime scale in the bathrooms, dirty carpets that were coming up all round the room, in desperate need of refurbishment. Swimming pool closed, breakfast was excellent though and was the only positive! £295 per night for our room and they couldn't even clean the windows. Overall this hotel was lovely in the communal areas but terrible behind closed doors. Staff were good but they had to handle a lot of complaints from dissatisfied customers! Someone needs to explain why they feel the need to charge guests £2.50 to pay with a credit card? One lady was checking out for £1000 and was asked to pay the charge........ She was also asked if they hotel could put a £1 charge to donate to charity!! Absolutely amazing! Bloody cheek! This hotel is under refurbishment which is due to complete next year. It's a shame they don't reflect this in the price! Currently a rip off but I'm sure it would be back to its former glory this time next year!!!!

2 Thank ben m
AMGMDGB, General Manager at The Grand Brighton, responded to this review, 25 July 2012
Thank you for your review.

I am sorry that you found reason to post your complaints on line and went away from the Grand feeling disappointed. The refurbishment will solve many of the issues that you have noted but there is no excuse for the housekeeping standards that you experienced and I am extremely embarrassed. Rest assured I have specifically discussed your complaint with the housekeeping team.

Please excuse me for not wishing to enter in to another extended debate about credit card charges as this is something that has been done before on TA – needless to say it is a group policy that is constantly reviewed and one that we defend in light of charges that are made by many other companies in the leisure and retail industry.

Offering the chance for a charity donation is also common place nowadays and is entirely at the discretion of the customers. As a hotel team we are very committed to helping worthwhile causes (both nationally and locally) and aim to raise over £35,000 this year alone. The £1 contributions made by guests actually forms a very small proportion of this so I can assure you we are doing our bit as well rather than just relying on the generosity of our guests through a so called ‘added charge’

In summary I am very confident that the Grand will be back to it’s former glory by this time next year – in fact well before then – and we look forward to hopefully seeing you again.

Billericay, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 July 2012

first the good points. the lobby and main rooms were very grand indeed. staff excellent, hard working and polite. breakfast was lovely with hot fresh food and plenty of choice. rooms cleaned every day with towels.
now sadly the bad. had an inward facing room with frosted windows covered in bird poo. unable to open the sash window more than 2 inches to cool the furnace that was my room. the air con unit next to my window rattled all day and night to remind me that better rooms had this facility. talk about rubbing salt into the wound. asked for a fan but this just circulated the warm air. no coffee in room and the fridge/cooler didnt work. i asked for this to be mended or changed three times as i have medication which needs to be kept cool.was not done. the solution i was given was ice buckets or give it to the staff who would put it in the kitchen fridge. not helpful if you need it at 3am! the taps were rusty and noisy,the furniture old and damaged, and the wifi was a joke. the connection said excellent, but im assuming thats if ten people are using it, not a full hotel. it disconnected every ten minutes. i was staying there for 6 nights for the union policy conference and wifi was vital for work and emails.
all in all, a grand old lady in need of major updating and listening to its customers basic needs. i could have stayed at the hilton next door for a lot less,

Room Tip: front facing modernised room with air con.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank deniseprincess
Thank you for your comments on Trip Advisor

I am very pleased that you felt the lobby and ground floor were well presented and that the staff made such a good impression on you during your stay. I will also pass on your comments that you enjoyed the breakfast to the relevant teams. I am pleased to say that our breakfast receives a lot of very positive feedback on Trip Advisor.

However I am sorry that you were disappointed with other aspects of your stay.

As you may be aware (from my other responses) we are now under refurbishment (with very minimal disruption I might add – as underlined by a recent guest review) and this will alleviate all of the problems that you have mentioned in terms of the ‘physical’ room presentation. However this does not excuse the items that were missed by housekeeping and I will raise this with the team.

I am also sorry that you struggled with the wifi. We have not received any other complaints about the wifi since we upgraded it several months ago. It is capable of high speeds for hundreds of users at a time. Furthermore it is free so worth bearing in mind when comparing overall cost of stays with our so called “cheaper” competition.

Many thanks again for your feedback