“Overrated”
Review of The Grand Brighton

The Grand Brighton
Ranked #10 of 43 Hotels in Brighton
Reviewed 12 July 2012

I agree with other comments that it is only the facade that's grand. Our room was at the back of the hotel -- maybe the ones with the sea view were better -- and it looked and felt tired. The floor was creaky and even with the double glazing you could hear the constant wailing of the wind as it whipped round the taller buildings in the area. I also woke up with bites on the backs of my legs. We went elsewhere the next day and paid less for a more comfortable stay.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
AMGMDGB, General Manager at The Grand Brighton, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2012

I am sorry that you left feeling disappointed with your one night stay. Obviously there is a difference between the rooms at the front and the back of the hotel (in terms of ‘ambience’ but also price). We are focussing on these rooms during the first phases of the refurbishment which is now underway.

There are newer reviews for The Grand Brighton

Reviewed 12 July 2012

I stayed here with my mum on our last two night of our UK holiday, the entrance is amazing. plenty of staff to help you with the luggage and an easy check-in. I absolutely loved the decor, it didn't feel dated at all to me, it's quite timeless. All the staff were friendly and helpful. The room was not that impressing, it was very dark and our view was a blind wall. The toiletries were pretty random (shampoo, two body lotions, but no shower/bath gel?) the beds were okay, the TV great, the furniture was okay but there was NO TEA TRAY! what the? for those prices! so we had our coffees in the hotel lounge instead where we payed 8 pounds for two regular coffees! absurd. felt a bit ripped-off.
however, the location is brilliant, the look an feel of the hotel is great and the breakfast is really good! overall a very good choice if you, like us, found a room online with good discount. would absolutely not pay full-price.

my mum did trip in the sidewalk right in front of the entrance, there were some uneven steps which they best give a bit of yellow paint to give people some notice, my mum hurt her leg pretty bad, it's completely bruised. I saw another lady fall of the sidewalk at the exact same point. no good. no staff came to help either one by the way.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family

Thank you for your review.

I am very pleased you enjoyed the ambience, décor and sense of arrival in our lobby and lounge and that the staff looked after you during your check in.

Some of the inland standard rooms do have limited views but that is the nature of the hotels on the seafront in Brighton. They are, of course, offered at a much lower rate than our larger deluxe sea facing rooms with balconies. However they are still spacious and fitted with the same ‘extras’ as the sea front rooms – I am therefore confused by your comment about the tea tray so have asked the team to re-check every rooms to ensure these are in place. In fairness sometimes they are on shelves or in cupboards (eg under television) and not always immediately apparent.

I think you sum up the Grand beautifully. The location is amazing and the way that the white façade of the building stands makes it very special. It must be one of the most photographed buildings in the city and we are very proud of it.

Finally we obviously take any injury incurred to our guests while they are in Brighton very seriously indeed. I am sorry if you tripped – it sounds like this happened on the public road or pavement outside the hotel? Irrespective of where and how I am sure the staff would have helped had they noticed it. If I can assist further please do not hesitate to contact me personally.

Reviewed 11 July 2012

I stayed here in February this year for a business trip. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay, yes the hotel is a bit dated but that only adds to its appeal. The bedroom was huge as was the bathroom which made it feel more like a suite than just a room. Would willingly stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank LighthouseFanatic
AMGMDGB, General Manager at The Grand Brighton, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2012

Thank you for feedback on Trip Advisor

I am so pleased that you had an enjoyable trip and enjoyed the room so much. We look forward to welcoming you back again in the future, where you will have the opportunity to experience a “newly refurbished” Grand, Brighton.

Reviewed 10 July 2012

This hotel is far from grand!! The rooms are extremely dated, with minimal natural daylight and central heating that you can not turn off!

The mattress on our bed was very hard and uncomfortable, we were told that we could swap rooms but then this offer was later retracted! They offered a replacement mattress but this never showed up!

Apparently the swimming pool is closed because the hotel has run out of funds, this would explain alot!!

Positives - the bar staff, concierge and breakfast were all excellent.

Room Tip: Avoid - stay at the Hilton Metropole instead (located next door to the Grand)
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review.

I am sorry that you left us feeling upset by your stay.

Certainly it is not my place to comment on our competitors (Trip Advisor reviewers do that for me!) but we are very pleased that our refurbishment is now underway and will, no doubt, set us apart again in the future from the other hotels in Brighton and beyond.

On a specific point you make I would respond that the pool is not closed due to lack of funds – far from it in fact. Instead we are creating a fabulous 7 room spa at the moment in this part of the hotel, with state of the art gym, plunge pool, steam and sauna rooms and this will be opening towards the end of this year.

Thank you again for posting your comments

Reviewed 10 July 2012

Stayed here for a night during Jubilee week. The hotel reception feels very luxurious as you walk in. The concierge were superb as it was raining heavily, they took our car and parked it for us, and then bought it round for us when we were ready to leave next day.
We upgraded for an extra £30 to a sea view double deluxe and what a treat it was.
Stunning views from the floor to ceiling windows, with french windows that open out onto a balcony.
The room itself was huge, with one of the most comfortable beds I have ever slept in.
Breakfast was lovely, with lots of freshly cooked food.
Close proximity to Regent Square but just nicely away from the nightlife.
Would def stay there again

Room Tip: For £30 more upgrade to a seaview double deluxe. Its just a beautiful view
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your feedback following your stay over Diamond Jubilee week.

I am very pleased to hear you received such a warm welcome to the hotel. Our valet parking service really is a hassle free option and Concierge will be pleased to hear your kind comments.

Many of our guests do decide upgrade on arrival should rooms be available. It really is a small price to pay for such a stunning view, which really adds to your experience. I am very pleased you enjoyed the room so much, we are very lucky to be able to offer such spacious guest rooms at The Grand.

I am glad you enjoyed breakfast. It is always so highly received, largely as we offer such an abundance of choice.

Thanks again for writing and I look forward to inviting you back again in the future.

Reviewed 10 July 2012

We had a lovely room, spacious and on the whole very comfortable for an old hotel. It is tired and I can't believe that a refurbishment will be complete any time soon as I didn't see any signs of an update at all. We were very lucky to get a fabulous deal through Hotel.com and were well chuffed with our two night deal. Thank you to the staff who were all great.

Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review.

I am pleased to hear that you had an enjoyable stay at The Grand and were pleased with your room. Our refurbishment programme is well underway. However, we made a conscious decision to phase the works to avoid any disruptions to normal hotel operations. This may be why you were unaware that they were ongoing during your visit. I am pleased to say that we are making very good progress and a selection of newly refurbished rooms were put back into service just last week.

Thank you again for writing and we do hope to welcome you back to The Grand in the future, hopefully when the full works are complete where you can enjoy our fantastic new facilities.

Reviewed 10 July 2012

We were booked into a standard room and upgraded to a beach view room. The room was big, light, well furnished and wonderfully located and the view was really special.
The reception staff and the people cleaning the rooms were excellent however the service at the bar was slow and the staff were forgetfull.

Room Tip: Beach view room is worth the extra cost
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your recent comments on Trip Advisor.

I am pleased to hear that you had an enjoyable stay at The Grand Hotel and you had the opportunity to experience one of our sea facing rooms. We are extremely lucky to be able to offer such stunning views and I agree, those rooms do make for an extra special experience. I will make sure to pass on your kind comments to our reception and housekeeping teams.

I am sorry that you felt that the service in the bar was a little slow. The bar can get busy at times, however it is our aim to offer a prompt and attentive service at all times. I will pass on your feedback to the team to address.