“Lovely place, needs a little work to make it perfect.”
Review of The Grand Brighton

The Grand Brighton
Ranked #9 of 44 Hotels in Brighton
“Lovely place, needs a little work to make it perfect.”
Reviewed 18 February 2013

A lovely hotel with a fabulous location that I would return to, however, our car that was supposed to be valet parked but was left outside of the hotel all night incurring a £70 fine (not great from a security perspective) the head concierge was not particularly helpful at resolving this matter, however the duty manager did erase parking fees from the bill but we had to pay fine. We were unable to get a table in the restaurant any evening we stayed. Also, we had a drink in the bar & they tried to charge £34 for 1 large Brandy & coke. It was only upon questioning the bill did the bar man say. 'Oh, I must have pressed the wrong button '. All that said, the room was lovely, the staff friendly & I would definitely go back.

• Stayed February 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,143)
  • Arabic first
Reviewed 18 February 2013

It most certainly is Grand, from the outside and in. The doorman was courteous, the receptionist too. We had a stunning room, sea front view. the room was very large, spacious and bright. It could have done with a bit more decor. Walls were empty. Perhaps even a vase with flowers or something to brighten it up a bit. View of beach was stunning although noisy at night. Bed was very large but in fact was two mattresses so a bit awkward if you want to cuddle up. Lounge area for drinks at night was lovely. Breakfast was excellent, good variety and fresh food. Will definitely stay again. It's a little run down and some rooms could do with a few alterations, decoration etc., but can't fault it.

Room Tip: Definitely ask for a quite room.
1 Thank rachel w
AMGMDGB, General Manager at The Grand Brighton, responded to this review, 8 May 2013
Thank you very much for your review of The Grand. It is always interesting to hear from our guests what they felt we did right, and what we have done wrong.

As such I will be sure to discuss your comments regarding the room decoration with my maintenance team, and will see if there is anything we can do to improve that room for future visitors.

I wll be sure to pass on your compliments to our staff too, particularly our Concierge, Reception and Breakfast teams.

London
Reviewed 18 February 2013

My last experience of DeVere was the debacle that is the Belfry. So with some trepidation I booked The Grand in Brighton. The newly rennovated communal areas (dining/bar etc) help to make this place. But what really helped was the fantastic friendly service. OK the rooms (if you dont get an updated one) are old and knackered, but for 240 quid you get the best location in Brighton, a massive kid friendly room overlooking the sea, plus a delicious breakfast inc...you can't fault it.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
Thank you so much for your recent review on TripAdvisor. As a business customer feedback is vital to let us know how we are doing and what we can improve on.

As such I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us, and will be sure to circulate your paintings comments to all of my team members.

The hotel refurbishment has indeed improved the hotel no end, and with our new luxury day spa opening this week we look set to get even better!

I look forward to welcoming you back into the hotel very so,

Reviewed 17 February 2013

as we arrived outside the grand i was very upset when the door men did not come to walk us into the grand's reception area. when we got to the reception the recepetionist told us where to go and did not show us.
apon arriving in the room the seating was not set out well as people had to stretch to get to there drinks and some people were pushed out at the end becasue of the long seating arrangment.
we could not take our coats off as i was so cold in there we were all shivering. we asked the waiteer numerous of times to turn the heating on or up and he came and put a little heater behind us that was bearly throwing out any heat.
then it came to ordering our afternoon tea. we were asked what we wanted and then the waited got our orders wrong so some people ended up with things they didnot want so we had to change and the staff were very rude about this. they huffed and puffed as they took away our food. my mum had taken some confety to put on the table and that was no where to be seen and she has still not rceived it back after asking for it nurmerous of times.
i think that the service of the waiters was appaling and that my birthday had been ruined a little by this as i was very much looking forward to afternoon tea ta the grand when all i got was a few scones and some orange juice and rude manners.
i can assusre you i will not be returing here and i will nto wasting my money here again.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
Bexhill, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 February 2013

I booked dinner bed and breakfast for my boyfriend's 65th birthday and we couldn't fault the food, staff and service. However, we did feel that the dress code should have been adhered to. We certainly didn't expect guests to come to dinner wearing jeans and t-shirts.

2 Thank Linda T
Dear Linda,

Thank you so much for your recent review on TripAdvisor.

I am so pleased to see that you couldn't fault the hotel or my staff; my team work incredibly hard to provide great service at all times, and I am so pleased that you appreciated this.

I will be sure to discuss your thoughts on a dress code with my management team, our guest comfort is of paramount importance to us as i'm sure you appreciate.

Many thanks once again,

Reviewed 15 February 2013

My partner and I spent a two night break in January.
I stipulated a quiet refurbished room, when I booked, at the back of the Hotel.
This was my fourth visit to the Grand and on previous occasions have had sea views, which were lovely but the noise of the traffic was too much. Even though I did insist on a quiet room the window was right adjacent to a air duct!! and nightclub, thankfully it was not a major issue and I couldn't be bothered to ask to change the room.
The room was smart and fairly new furniture, however I noticed in the bathroom, through constant occupation, was becoming grubby. The rim between the marble top and the sink was black.... All the chrome, taps, shower head and shower rail, was becoming very grimy. Housekeeping need to watch that especially if the De vere group want the refurbished rooms to stay smart.
Whilst we were there the new Restaurant was celebrating its opening so our first night was in
the Alexandre room and unfortunately the menu was limited, there were grumbles from other diners. Our second night we were allowed in the New Restaurant, wow that was good of them, seeing we were paying guests.
On the whole the staff were very pleasant and helpful, especially the Concierge/Doorman

Room Tip: We were in Room 412 next to A/C noise and a club so may be best to have the opposite side!!
Deaf Marilyn,

Thank you very much for taking the time pass your comments onto me following your recent visit to us here at The Grand.

I will be sure to pass on your compliments to our Concierge team, who work incredibly hard every day as the "face" of the hotel, meeting and greeting guests and making them as comfortable as possible.

I wll be sure to address the matter of your bathroom with my housekeeping team personally, however I offer my unreserved apologies for this matter.

I hope that you enjoyed your evening meal at GB1, our new fish restaurant, and that we will welcome you into the hotel again very soon.

London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 February 2013

Just got back from a lovely night in this Hotel. We were upgraded and our room was brand new. This hotel is 150 years old! A must stay for anyone! The inside is stunning and excellent service from all staff. Our car was collected by Colin who is the head porter. A really great chap who then saw me again in the morning and quickly collected my car so it was ready outside for us.

Some really nice personal service and check late rooms.com before booking as we saved over £175

Breakfast is stunning!!, This hotel is history! and a great place to say we have both stayed at!

1 Thank Marknnnnnm
Thank you so much for your review of The Grand.

I am so pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay with us, and I will be sure to pas your comments onto the team - in particular Colin.

We are exceptionally proud of the history of our hotel, and have been sure to keep the classic feel of the building in tact, despite the extensive refurbishment work we have undergone over the last year.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon,