“A really luxurious stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Grand Brighton

The Grand Brighton
Ranked #9 of 44 Hotels in Brighton
Cornwall
“A really luxurious stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2013

Stayed for 2 nights and had a complimentary upgrade to a king deluxe seaview room. WOW. It was amazing. The room had its own balcony with fantastic views of the seafront. The decor was new and very modern and had many luxurious touches. The room was huge with its own sofa area . The bar has a nice atmosphere and serve superb cocktails. Breakfast had a very good choice and was really tasty. All the staff are really helpful. Good location as only a short walk to the shops, restaurants and The Lanes. The Marina is worth a visit and you can take the little Victorian electric train from the pier if you don't want to walk. First visit to brighton and will definitely return.

Room Tip: had room 619 king deluxe seaview it will not disappoint!
2 Thank Ryan289
AMGMDGB, General Manager at The Grand Brighton, responded to this review, 25 June 2013
Thank you so much for sharing your review of The Grand follwoing your recent visit.

I am so pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay, and that my staff took such good care of you. I will be sure to pass your comments on to my team, particularly the Breakfast and Lounge who all work so hard, and such unsociable hours, to keep our guests well looked after!

You are absolutely right, we are ideally placed for those wishing to explore Brighton, with many historic landmarks, such as the Royal Pavilion, Pier, and Volks railway nearby. However we also offer a luxury wellbeing spa and mini-gym in the hotel for those who do not wish to do any exploring!

I look forward to welcoming you back into the hotel in the near future,

Andrew Mosley

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,112)
  • Arabic first
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2013

Upon booking this hotel, I thought I had found a really special place to stay, everyone had nothing but good things to say about this place. So yes my expectations were high, however they were nowhere near met.
The facade is amazing and the lobby is very grand. I was feeling unwell when we arrived and they were kind enough to give us an early check-in. The room was small but comfortable, the bed was huge! The power points we not very conveniently located and for people travelling on business I can imagine it would be frustrating. The main downside of the room was the bathroom, the remainder of the room had been decorated beautifully, however the bathroom looked like it hadn't been refurbished since instillation, the shower constantly dripped and when in use didn't remain any higher than one metre from the ground - not a very nice experience.
The breakfast offered a lot of choice and was all very fresh, this is the first place I have ever found a right handed coffee pot, as a left hander this was very infuriating.
The main downer was the staff, when passing them in the corridor there wasn't even a friendly smile, let along a 'good morning'. When arriving at breakfast the waitress looked at us, expecting us to just offer a room number rather then initiating the conversation, whatever happened to friendly conversation and interest in your paying guests?!?!
As we stayed on a 'cheap' rate I would consider returning, however the price would have to be right!

2 Thank Alice W
Thank you for taking the time to update TripAdvisor with your comments following your recent stay with us here at The Grand.

While I am very pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay overall, I am very disheartened to read about my staff behaviour. We always empower our staff do whatever they can for our guests in order to enhance their stay and normally we receive only praise regarding their conduct, as you can see from previous reviews. I will be sure to address this matter with the teams in question, and explain to them why is it not acceptable for guests to be treated that way.

I hope we will welcome you back into the near future, and get an opportunity to show you how Grand we truly are!

kent
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2013

I went to this hotel Tuesday and I checked in and the luggage had already been bought to the room, the room was lovely very big for a twin, beds were so comfortable, went for breakfast in the morning and the staff are so helpful would bend over backwards to help you out. So much variety for breakfast to lovely cooked breakfast with extra choices of the way you want your eggs cooked, lovely fruit selection, pastries and also breads. When we were checking out the luggage was taken to our taxi, put in the car and even opened the door for us. I would definitely recommend going to this hotel as its right by the sea front. would definitely stay again.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank potter4646
Thank you so much for sharing your feedback following your recent stay with us here at The Grand.

I am so pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay, and that my staff took such good care of you. I will be sure to pass your comments on to my team, particularly the Concierge and Breakfast teams.

I look forward to welcoming yoou back into the hotel in the near future - for all the latest offers and best prices please keep an eye on the De Vere website!

Thanks once again,

Essex, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2013

We decided to go to Brighton as part of our honeymoon and I kept checking to try and find a good deal but as it was Bank Holiday week everything seemed quite expensive. I then found an excellent deal on Expedia for 2 nights bed and breakfast at The Grand! I thought we would be put in a little pokey room but it was actually lovely. We were at the back of the hotel and just looked out onto a brick wall but the room itself was a good size with a lovely super king size bed. The furniture and bathroom were a little tired looking but the hotel is in the middle of being refurbished so this part of the hotel has obviously not been done yet. We were very pleased with the room though and would have no problems staying in the same room again. When I booked I mentioned we would be on our honeymoon and we had champagne, strawberries and a massive box of 'The Grand' chocolates waiting for us which were delicious!

The breakfast was the best I have had in any hotel for a long time. There was such a massive choice - everything you could think of and a wide variety of cereal, fruit, croissants, muffins, fresh bread and of course a lovely English breakfast! Delicious!!

When we come back to Brighton again I would def want to stay at The Grand again - thank you for a wonderful stay and for our lovely honeymoon goodies!!!!!

Room Tip: We were in room 505 which was at the back of the hotel but if you can get a good bargain the room is...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
AMGMDGB, General Manager at The Grand Brighton, responded to this review, 24 June 2013
Firstly, congratulations on your recent nuptials, and thank you so much for making The Grand part of your experience.

We often discuss with our teams the importance of such occasions, and what they can do the further enhance them, so its wonderful to see that they have taken this on board and indeed made your stay that little bit extra special.

I will be sure to pass on your compliments to my team, particularly the Reception and Breakfast staff.

Thank you, and congratulations once again!

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2013

Stayed here for one night on my birthday . Present from father in law . Found the hotel a nice place to be enjoying cocktail in the bar . Had dinner in the gb1 with the family . 13 people food was amazing and waiter was 5* . We had breakfast in bed . But our toast was missing . So rung house keeping and was told that they knew and where bring it up .
( would of been nice if we where told this when food was delivered )
Other down fall was when we arrived our room was 45 mins late . We where not told what floor our room
Was on and had to ask . And was still not shown . Got to the room the key fob did not work . Went back to reception and where told I has never not worked before . Am
I doing it wrong . Which I have the same system at my work so know
How it works . After getting in the room was good clean . Went for a walk and saw a valet Parker from the hotel
Speeding in a customer car . . Over all hotel and restaurant amazing staff not so good . Better service at there sister hotel on Bournemouth .

• Stayed May 2013
AMGMDGB, General Manager at The Grand Brighton, responded to this review, 7 June 2013
Thank you very much for passing on your feedback following your recent stay with us. I hope you had a wonderful birthday, and thank you so much for spending it here at The Grand.

I am pleased to see that you enjoyed the hotel as a whole, and I will be sure to pass on your compliments to the Lounge and GB1 teams.

I am however disappointed to see that you encountered a number of issues while staying with us, and I will of course stress the importance of good service and prompt delivery of food to all my teams. I can also promise you that as a hotel we take the safety of all of our staff and guests extremely seriously, and as such I will be talking to all of my Concierge team about the importance of road safety.

Thank you once again, and I hope we will welcome you back into the hotel in the future, and be able to show you how right we can get it.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2013

We stayed here for one night and enjoyed our stay, the room was newly decorated and well appointed, despite there being no view. The bar was really nice to hang out in before we went for dinner and I can imagine having a nice afternoon tea there. Breakfast was great with a really good selection on offer. I think that the price is fairly high but you are paying for the prestige of staying here.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you so much for taking the time to pass on your feedback following your visit to us here at The Grand.

The refurbishment project is nearly complete, and has taken the best part of a year, but hearing positive comments from guests such as yourself really does make it all worthwhile.

I will be sure to pass on your kind words to my Lounge team, and if you do ever want to experience Afternoon Tea here at The Grand, maybe on the Terrace on a sunny afternoon, please do not hesitate to contact us to make a booking. We have a new Afternoon Tea service launching later in the Summer, and I can promise you it is worth the trip!

I will also pass on your compliments to my Breakfast team, who work so hard to get our guests days off to such a great start.

Warm Regards, and I look forward to welcoming you into the hotel again soon.

Newton Abbot, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2013

I stayed in this hotel just over a year ago and had a quite lengthy complaint which I took to the management on my return home. The Deputy Manager phoned me and emailed me to follow up and was very sympathetic to my complaint and eager to offer a solution to the problem.
My sister and I stayed for a night at the end of May in a Sea View deluxe room. It was wonderful, spacious, modern and very clean. We loved it and what a treat for us.
Breakfast was plentiful and well cooked. This is how I imagined the Grand should be.
I have read many bad reviews on here about the Grand and a year ago I would have added to them, but I gave the management chance to respond to my complaint first and they dealt with it very professionally and to a satisfactory conclusion. I wanted to wait until my second stay before I wrote a review.
Would I stay here again? Yes, but I would never be able to afford the room we have just stayed in even for 1 night. Would I recommend to others? Definitely and if you have a problem, let them know and give them a chance to put it right, you may be surprised.

Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
AMGMDGB, General Manager at The Grand Brighton, responded to this review, 23 June 2013
Thank you very much for sharing your feedback following your recent stay with us here at The Grand.

While I am truly sorry that we made some errors during your first stay with us, I am so pleased to see that your return was a success, and we showed you how Grand we can be!

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future,