“We love it here!”

The Grand Brighton
Ranked #9 of 44 Hotels in Brighton
“We love it here!”
Reviewed 12 July 2013 via mobile

The hotel is looking and feeling great! We had a deluxe sea room room.....could see the sea and the pier from our bed! The refurbishment has been carried out really sympathetically and our room was wonderful. Service from all staff was fisrt class and great breakfast! By far the most grand hotel in Brighton......we'd never stay anywhere else!

Stayed July 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,143)
  • Arabic first
Llanbedr Dyffryn Clwyd, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 July 2013

Helpful porter on arrival and departure, efficient and helpful staff at reception, lovely rooms with balonies and sea view (my son even had an unexpected and appreciated upgrade from a single to an enormous room), good facilities generally but hard towels and bathrobes - what a shame they weren't soft. Aircon would have been appreciated on the hot days we visited, especially as the heated towel rail we couldn't switch off made the bathroom nearly unbearable - but, as value for money goes, it was good, and being able to open the balcony doors made a huge difference. Shame they have limited car parking space and we had to use the nearby NCP but not unusual in Brighton - would stay there again.

Room Tip: Definitely ask for a room with a balcony and sea view
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Dorking, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 July 2013

Friends booked this as found a good deal. We were pleased that although we arrived before 3 we were shown to our rooms. What a beautiful hotel, real feel of Brighton's heyday. Rooms good for the price we paid but friends had a disabled room (they aren't) and had the flooding problem others have had. Surprised no air con or thinner duvet as such hot weather (we used bath robes provided as lightweight covers). Breakfasts great and dinner in seafood restaurant very good. The service we had was superb! Such charming staff! But we too had the 4 a.m. choir (French Polish?) As least they weren't Brits! But as just outside hotel think hotel should do something - call police? Now to the soap - we used it first night and morning and then it was gone! We asked for some and friends next door got a new bar (theirs had been whisked away too) but ours never came. Not a disaster as used body wash provided but what a waste, De Vere!

Room Tip: sea views are lovely but not quiet or cool.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank surreysmile
kent
Reviewed 9 July 2013

Stayed here before, this time stopped for just a couple of nights, Chose just a seaview room which had been refurbished in a restful grey colour, nice size and a view of the beach below. However, like 'hebegebees' review, there was only a fanlight window that could be opened and on this, a very, very hot couple of days some air conditioning would have been helpful. The bed was comfortable, the room and bathroom spotless, there was an iron and hair dryer. However, there were no drawers to put your clothes in, only a shelf in the wardrobe where if you wanted to hang your clothes they had to be set at an angle to be able shut the doors. We too were greeted at various times of the day by three different pianists, very pleasant. Staff brilliant of course and most helpful. Still a nice, cosy atmosphere in the Lobby. Breakfast is best taken seated on the Terrace. The main food area is quite strange. Some items of food are set high up around a huge console in the middle of the room, so if you are on the short side it is a bit difficult. Couldn't eat there at the time we wanted in the evening, book early, some guests do it days in advance.

Room Tip: If you are not fussy, at least choose a seaview room. Some have a "french balcony" but if...
Essex
Reviewed 9 July 2013

Arrived after 4pm on Friday so was able to go straight to our room. Obviously not one of the best but it wasn't bad either, Small but adequate. Scaffolding outside the window but I chose not to look out so it didn't bother us. Would have liked a sea view but after hearing about the noise levels on here I'm glad we didn't get one. We booked quite late anyway so expected the leftovers. Hotel was busy. Lots of weddings and I think a school Prom judging by the poor lad unconscious on the grass before it even started. Anyway it was just a base to be with friends albeit a very nice one. Breakfast was lovely. Service friendly but the self serve dishes are extremely high up and awkward for anyone under 5 foot 4 inches I should imagine. Don't let that put you off though. Always someone there to help plus an alternative menu from which they serve you direct. I don't think anyone could fault the breakfast. The first one I had lasted me all day and I didn't have to eat again until the evening!! Great shower in the bathroom but our sink was awkward. It stood alone so nowhere to put make up etc. except for the sink itself. The weather was glorious. Everything looks good in the sun but I expect even if it had poured down we would have still enjoyed our stay. The only thing is...I'm still smarting over the £60 car park fee. Is it really necessary? It's cheaper to stay in the NCP which is only next door and we weren't even their 'guest'! You do get a bit more peace of mind parking in your hotel but I think as a guest you should at least pay less to park in the hotel you have paid for. If at all. I hear the Thistle only charged £15 a day? I can only think it's to discourage people using it because it's not big enough for everyone, but it's clear it's on a first come first served basis so more acceptable to think you were too late to get in rather than know that you will be charged that amount of money regardless. After all, with the lovely shops in The Lanes there's plenty to spend that £60 on. Brighton itself was a bit shabby in places. How could anyone in authority allow The Odean building just along from The Grand to be built? It's just a concrete block! Some lovely architecture which made you feel that you could be in the 30's or 40's or even the 20's and then a eyesore would appear at regular intervals. Oh well, perhaps that was just me, but I think they could make it amazing because it has the ability to take you back in time in some places. I fully expected to walk past Charlie Chaplin in the Hotel. I hope they build on that instead of traipsing all over it. Not sure if I would go again but back at work now, weather still nice and I know where I would rather be!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 July 2013

Booked this hotel for a birthday get away for me and my partner. 2 nights.
Before we went I emailed ahead and asked for bunch of roses to be put in the room, and they were extremly helpful and did as I asked.
We got there and the staff were so nice, wishing my partner happy birthday, and telling us about breakfast etc. Service with a smile. Situated right on the front.
The room was fab, great bed, very clean, couldnt fault it.
Breakfast, you couldnt ask for anything more to eat, hot, cold, fruit, pastry, everything.
It was a brilliant stay and I would deffo go back again :-)
Thankyou very much for making our weekend so great. Couldnt have asked for anything more.

1 Thank Megan H
Camberley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 July 2013

Recently spent a night at The Grand and was very, very impressed.

Firstly, the porters and front desk staff are very friendly and helpful which is always a perfect start. The room itself was a seafront delux and it was very newly refurbished. The style of the room was very elegant...really quite beautiful and the view from the balcony of the seafront was second to none. The room was very large and well appointed, as was the bathroom with his and hers sinks, a bath, a walk in shower and a bidet.

The bar is beautiful and the staff are very friendly. We indulged in a few cocktails which were very well made and tasted delicious. The bar has a great atmosphere and is guests only after 11 which means it doesn't get too rowdy.

The breakfast was absolutely lovely with a huge selection of hot and cold buffet as well as items to order from the menu. Probably one of the best hotel breakfasts I have ever had.

We didn't eat dinner in the hotel restaurant on this trip but have eaten there before and it was great so I have written a separate review.

All in all it was a wonderful stay and The Grand would always be my first choice hotel in Brighton.

Room Tip: Room 325 is newly refurbished and very beautiful but my tip would be to just ask for a recently refu...