“Classic, Iconic, Outstanding”
Review of The Grand Brighton

The Grand Brighton
Ranked #10 of 43 Hotels in Brighton
Reviewed 23 November 2013 via mobile

My wife and I had an overnight stay in Brighton for our 10th anniversary. "Grand" pretty much summed up everything from the facia to the staircase to our wonderfully spacious room overlooking the rather skeletal West Pier. We were in a standard double room (623) that was clean and spacious with a large comfortable bed. Breakfast in bed was first class. In fact, my only slight criticism of the whole experience would be that the bar cocktails are a little on the tame side. Great wines though. We'll definitely be back.

• Stayed: November 2013

Reviewed 22 November 2013

2 night stay here as a conference delegate, and wasn't disappointed. Recently redecorated room but retaining an elegant note. Staff polite and efficient. Would definitely consider returning here for a special occasion.

Reviewed 22 November 2013

We booked afternoon tea at the Grand a few months ago. we have taken afternoon tea at many establishments in the past, and therefore we know how a good tea should be presented. the afternoon tea was less than ok. when it was brought to the table, I saw there was only one panna cotta. I asked why, since two of us were dining, and the response was that the panna cottas were only for the guests who had booked their tea, and who were sitting in the conservatory area. What a strange set up! Presumably all guests pay the same for their tea, so why are some guests treated in an inferior manner, re what food they are given? however, I pointed out that we HAD booked, and we had been shown to the seats we occupied by the staff. The waiter appeared to be puzzled but promised to look into it. He reappeared after some time bringing a second panna cotta with him so there would now be one for each of us. He mumbled something about there were not really enough panna cottas, so the cook was apparently trying to economise on their use! The usual array of sandwiches were there, but my husband found them to be dry. Upon investigation, he discovered that there was no butter on any of the sandwiches! He asked to speak to the manager, who informed him that there is never butter on the sandwiches , they don't use any!
The next day, my husband rang to complain. He was unable to speak to anyone in charge. A phone call back was promised, it never materialised. Several emails and phone calls later, my husband was heartily sick of being ignored. After a week, he was able to connect with a manager and discuss his dissatisfaction. We were then invited to take tae again at the Grand, as a gesture of goodwill. Recently we tried to book, we were advised to book through the manager as he would ensure the tea would be a superb standard. However, our repeated phone calls and emails have yet again been completely ignored!
What kind of customer service is this?
The Grand seems to be a lovely hotel, nicely decorated and comfortable, but it is totally let down by the appalling attitude towards it's guests, and the worst customer service I have EVER come across.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank maddyHampshire
AMGMDGB, General Manager at The Grand Brighton, responded to this reviewResponded 23 November 2013

Dear Maddy

Thank you for your review. I am very sorry that we have failed to respond to you. Clearly there has been a sizeable breakdown in communication somewhere along the line and I am keen to resolve matters for you

Please email me at the address I sent in my separate personal message to you and I will ensure this is resolved and that we communicate on the phone to get you all booked and looked after as promised

I look forward to hearing from you

Regards

Andrew Mosley

Reviewed 22 November 2013

I stayed 2 nights when travelling with work. The room I got was nothing like any of the ones on the website. It was tiny, dark horrible in fact... the girl on reception said well you've a single room but it has a double bed.
The noise from the units outside the bathroom was awful. The bedroom was a bit quieter and I thought I'd not make a fuss.
I rang down to get a massage. The spa didn't pick up. I decided to have a bath, looked for the hair drier - there wasn't one. Rang reception - they didn't pick up either. I went down to ask for one - they said housekeeping would be up straight away. Half an hour later I got fed up, no bath, no spa, I went out. I expected housekeeping to leave the hair drier in the room, when I got back it still hadn't appeared. Here we go again... same call, same thing, eventually got one delivered - when the guy arrived he asked - are you sure there isn't one in the room... YAWN!

I made a mistake about not changing rooms because of the noise outside - I hardly slept all night. I had to get up and put cotton balls in my ears to drown it out... The floor boards creaked in the room upstairs and the hall outside...

Went down the next day - got my room changed. It was quieter and slightly bigger but FREEZING cold. I mean if a Hotel client complains aren't they supposed to try and do something nice for them??

Another bug bear is they have no smoking area... you have to stand out in the road without shelter or an ash tray... ok smoking is bad for you but surely there should be some efforts made to accommodate smokers?

On the upside, the breakfast was nice!

Overall, I was disappointed. I expected high standards and didn't get them. It definitely wasn't value for money or anything memorable. I'm not sure I'd stay there again. I'd give somewhere else a go...

Room Tip: Upper floors seem to be further away from the generators outside... level 7 was the best.
1  Thank Shenaniganz
Reviewed 22 November 2013

I stayed here this week whilst at a conference and was put in room 111. Not the best view. In fact a brick wall 6ft away and so no view whatsoever but the room was immaculate, with bath robes, massive bed and the pillows were so soft. I had the best night sleep ever even with hundreds of delegates in the place. Not sure if they asked everyone to creep around my room but I did not hear anyone else moving around at night. The food was glorious also. It was refreshing to go to ao conference where the food was so good, fresh cakes with coffee rather than packs of biscuits and the hotel staff were all very efficient and helpful. Shame it rained for the whole duration. I did not get a chance to appreciate the view outside across the seafront. Definitely recommend

Room Tip: Avoid room 111 if want a view but it was great for a decent sleep
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 22 November 2013 via mobile

I spent three nights in one of their basic rooms, nice and modern, nothing special, no view just frosted windows covering the back of the hotel.
The staff were very good and attentive food was good breakfast although busy was varied and good quality, no real complaints would
have liked a better room with clear windows so you could see through but it was not a priority,
Would come again.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 November 2013

The Grand Hotel, Brighton? We can't wait to return.

We arrived in during a particularly busy time as the Foyer and Lobby were thronged with conference delegates. Nevertheless, we were checked in immediately. The staff were great and I particularly appreciated that they spoke directly and clearly to me without being asked to (with the noise level, it was so helpful to hear and lip read when necessary).

We arrived at our room to find it was a double. Reception assured us Housekeeping would be along to divide the bed. No sooner had we returned to the room than Housekeeping arrived and dealt with the bed. A super kingsize was divided into two great sized divan and the comfort! We had the best night's sleep ever. We need foam pillows and these had not arrived even though ordered in advance . Rang to request and no sooner had I put the phone down, than a man from House Keeping arrived, laden down with pillows!

The room was spacious and comfortable. We had no view but this was not a problem. I had requested a quiet room and this was it. Not a peep from anywhere. When leaving that night for dinner, we were astounded to push open the door on the corridor to hear noise akin to a bee hive and when we closed the door, silence!

Breakfast? One of the nicest we have ever had. We were seated in the sun lounge overlooking the sea which was lovely. The food selection was wonderful and the quality was so high. The pastries were even made with fresh fruit.

Every element was five star. It is rare to find everything in one hotel at the same high standard but we did.

We ate dinner at the hotel and it was excellent in choice, value and service.

Quibbles? A few. The bathroom was a bit of a let down. No shaving mirror which was missed. The shower was difficult to switch on and off. Given the standard of everything, the toilet paper was bizarrely cheap. And the heated mirror? We are still wondering why?

But these are tiny, tiny, points. We so enjoyed our stay and this hotel is at the top of our favourites. We will be back (as soon as possible!).

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family