“spa day”

Ranked #10 of 44 Hotels in Brighton
Exmouth, United Kingdom
“spa day”
Reviewed 24 November 2013

As a birthday treat for my daughter I purchased two vouchers for a spa day. On arrival we were greeted by concierge who directed us to the spa, we booked in and ordered lunch we then went to the steam rooms and relaxation rooms while waiting for our treatments. The relaxation rooms are a delight, lovely comfy couches to lounge on. The treatment was done by a French girl (forgot her name) and was very good the Espa facial is luxurious! Lunch was good I had a sussex cream tea it was fresh and well presented, my daughter had the fish lunch which was also nice. Altogether a lovely day just a shame there is no swimming pool otherwise I would have given 5 stars.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,134)
  • Arabic first
Berkshire
Reviewed 24 November 2013

Our weekend was a R&R weekend away from work and the kids and a chance for my partner to recuperate after not being well. We booked it a while ago and had been looking forward to it for ages.

The hotel didn't disappoint, we had a charming room with a sea view which was lovely and the bed's were as comfortable as the ones we have at home. No suite but just the ticket for our stay. Until the live band started up in the teepee over the road when we got back from dinner. The music, which would normally be right up our street, was so loud we had trouble hearing the TV and we certainly had no chance of getting any sleep.

The hotel's duty manager was very good and about 11pm after there was no obvious finish time coming any time soon, they moved us to a room at the rear of the hotel. But we didn't get to wake up to our sea view in our lovely room on Sat am. Sooo sad :0)

The staff were helpful (esp the restaurant staff at breakfast). And we were very grateful to be moved.

Room Tip: Definitely a room with a sea view is the thing - but definitely try to avoid the band !
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 November 2013

Lovely hotel, great staff, good atmosphere, enjoyed a couple of drinks in the bar after we had been out - great fun. We had a lovely time.
Very help concierge car parking service, even if it did cost £30 -very similar to local public car parks.

Room Tip: We had a room with a view of another building ... bit disappointing and made the room quite dark.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 November 2013 via mobile

My wife and I had an overnight stay in Brighton for our 10th anniversary. "Grand" pretty much summed up everything from the facia to the staircase to our wonderfully spacious room overlooking the rather skeletal West Pier. We were in a standard double room (623) that was clean and spacious with a large comfortable bed. Breakfast in bed was first class. In fact, my only slight criticism of the whole experience would be that the bar cocktails are a little on the tame side. Great wines though. We'll definitely be back.

• Stayed November 2013
Sedgwick, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 November 2013

2 night stay here as a conference delegate, and wasn't disappointed. Recently redecorated room but retaining an elegant note. Staff polite and efficient. Would definitely consider returning here for a special occasion.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Hampshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 November 2013

We booked afternoon tea at the Grand a few months ago. we have taken afternoon tea at many establishments in the past, and therefore we know how a good tea should be presented. the afternoon tea was less than ok. when it was brought to the table, I saw there was only one panna cotta. I asked why, since two of us were dining, and the response was that the panna cottas were only for the guests who had booked their tea, and who were sitting in the conservatory area. What a strange set up! Presumably all guests pay the same for their tea, so why are some guests treated in an inferior manner, re what food they are given? however, I pointed out that we HAD booked, and we had been shown to the seats we occupied by the staff. The waiter appeared to be puzzled but promised to look into it. He reappeared after some time bringing a second panna cotta with him so there would now be one for each of us. He mumbled something about there were not really enough panna cottas, so the cook was apparently trying to economise on their use! The usual array of sandwiches were there, but my husband found them to be dry. Upon investigation, he discovered that there was no butter on any of the sandwiches! He asked to speak to the manager, who informed him that there is never butter on the sandwiches , they don't use any!
The next day, my husband rang to complain. He was unable to speak to anyone in charge. A phone call back was promised, it never materialised. Several emails and phone calls later, my husband was heartily sick of being ignored. After a week, he was able to connect with a manager and discuss his dissatisfaction. We were then invited to take tae again at the Grand, as a gesture of goodwill. Recently we tried to book, we were advised to book through the manager as he would ensure the tea would be a superb standard. However, our repeated phone calls and emails have yet again been completely ignored!
What kind of customer service is this?
The Grand seems to be a lovely hotel, nicely decorated and comfortable, but it is totally let down by the appalling attitude towards it's guests, and the worst customer service I have EVER come across.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank maddyHampshire
AMGMDGB, General Manager at The Grand Brighton, responded to this review, 23 November 2013
Dear Maddy

Thank you for your review. I am very sorry that we have failed to respond to you. Clearly there has been a sizeable breakdown in communication somewhere along the line and I am keen to resolve matters for you

Please email me at the address I sent in my separate personal message to you and I will ensure this is resolved and that we communicate on the phone to get you all booked and looked after as promised

I look forward to hearing from you

Regards

Andrew Mosley
Belfast
Reviewed 22 November 2013

I stayed 2 nights when travelling with work. The room I got was nothing like any of the ones on the website. It was tiny, dark horrible in fact... the girl on reception said well you've a single room but it has a double bed.
The noise from the units outside the bathroom was awful. The bedroom was a bit quieter and I thought I'd not make a fuss.
I rang down to get a massage. The spa didn't pick up. I decided to have a bath, looked for the hair drier - there wasn't one. Rang reception - they didn't pick up either. I went down to ask for one - they said housekeeping would be up straight away. Half an hour later I got fed up, no bath, no spa, I went out. I expected housekeeping to leave the hair drier in the room, when I got back it still hadn't appeared. Here we go again... same call, same thing, eventually got one delivered - when the guy arrived he asked - are you sure there isn't one in the room... YAWN!

I made a mistake about not changing rooms because of the noise outside - I hardly slept all night. I had to get up and put cotton balls in my ears to drown it out... The floor boards creaked in the room upstairs and the hall outside...

Went down the next day - got my room changed. It was quieter and slightly bigger but FREEZING cold. I mean if a Hotel client complains aren't they supposed to try and do something nice for them??

Another bug bear is they have no smoking area... you have to stand out in the road without shelter or an ash tray... ok smoking is bad for you but surely there should be some efforts made to accommodate smokers?

On the upside, the breakfast was nice!

Overall, I was disappointed. I expected high standards and didn't get them. It definitely wasn't value for money or anything memorable. I'm not sure I'd stay there again. I'd give somewhere else a go...

Room Tip: Upper floors seem to be further away from the generators outside... level 7 was the best.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business