I have stayed at the Grand several times - granted it has a faded seaside glamour and the rooms are vastly over priced for the facilities, but it is a special hotel and I have always enjoyed it. NOT THIS TIME though:
Checking in was rushed and hurried - there were so many people with luggage at reception, checking in for a wedding, that staff could not be bothered with us. I had booked MONTHS in advance - it was a special birthday for my sister, and I had specifically asked for sea view rooms with balconies - I even got email confirmation that this would be so BUT we were NOT given these. On querying, I was told that other customers had checked in before us and got them - casually, I was told that there is always demand for these and it is first come first served???
Not satisfied, I showed staff their email saying they had reserved the room I had asked for; they stuck by their "first come first served" attitude, but later they did send a bottle of wine and a box of chocolates to the room by way of apology; while I appreciated the gesture, it did not compensate. We settled to adjoin the rooms so the family could sit together, but it took 30 mins for staff to find someone with the right key to do this.
Sea view rooms were ok - they were the newer ones, but there are no finishing touches and everything is very basic.
We went for drinks at the bar in the evening but service took an age because of the number of guests. We didn't eat at the hotel because of this and because I was so cross at the way we had been treated thus far. We went to the Indian Summer nearby and it is delightful - thoroughly recommend it if you like contemporary Indian food.
Breakfast is nice, but the new counter is very tall - I am not. I couldn't see in the self serve dishes - they are also hot and it is a bit dangerous when you are short and tying to serve food and hold a plate while on tip toes!
On checking out, staff were as uninterested in our stay as the staff checking us in. The normal concierge was not there and the staff dealing with the bags abruptly told us we would have to wait as they were busy with a foyer full of bags and barely looked up when our car was ready.
Truly unmemorable stay.
I have already provided this feedback direct to the hotel and they didn't contact me.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This is a truly remarkable hotel. An iconic Victorian building, it stands centre stage on the vibrant Brighton seafront and is a local landmark. Magnificent, imposing and the epitome of luxury. This is The Grand, Brighton. Following a recent extensive refurbishment, The Grand experience is one you will never forget. It's in the splendour of the 123 step sweeping staircase, the exquisite textures in the bedrooms, the delectable cuisine in GB1 restaurant and the sumptuous surroundings of The Spa at The Grand. It's in the stunning seaviews and the warmth with which you are welcomed. It's in its innate sense of style. The magnificent Grand is a popular location for films and television shows. Coronation Street, Eastenders and Only Fools and Horses have all shot episodes in the hotel. For the complete Brighton experience, it has to be The Grand, Brighton. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Ebookers, Priceline, Hotels.com, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, HRS and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Grand Brighton reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The De Vere Grand Brighton Hotel Brighton
- De Vere Grand Brighton
- De Vere Grand Hotel Brighton
- Brighton Grand Hotel