“Just the bar made my expections.”
Review of The Grand Brighton

The Grand Brighton
Ranked #10 of 44 Hotels in Brighton
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Just the bar made my expections.”
Reviewed 5 December 2013

Stay a few times before the refurbishment and was great. This time around since we arrive the service and the room in self lets down. Good food at the restaurant. Great service at the bar/lounge special Cedric who made our stay better value.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,134)
  • Arabic first
essex
Reviewed 4 December 2013

In some ways, 2 is quite a harsh score but it sums up several things that were just not what they should have been. Accepting that I was on a business conference package, having a room with no view (just a few feet to the opposite rooms) should not have been a surprise and wasn't. This was my second room, but the first was just the other side however, I couldn't actually get into that room. The staff had the same problem but then said I could 'pull it then push it' and it should be ok. That they would still get maintenance to look at it 'in the morning' didn't fill me with optimism and I insisted on a new room. The room itself was ok - huge bed. But the wall handle for the shower & bath was loose, there was no bath mat & it all felt a bit jaded as did quite a few areas in the hotel.
I will Say that breakfast is very good. Shame about the lunches. Day one, I chose risotto which arrived looking like a congealed rice pudding & luke warm. Not good at all. I changed my order for the second day to the chicken Caesar salad. Much better - until I discovered the long and dark coloured hair in the middle of it. No I didn't want a replacement or to order anything else. That was enough thanks:-(

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 December 2013

A visit to the historic De Vere Grand is always pleasant but the decor is looking a little tired. Easily forgotten as bar staff give excellent service and quite the showmen/women with their cocktails. We ate in a meal in the horseshoe bar rather than the restaurant; very complimentary lighting and ambience. The mussel starter good but had to ask for bread; (duck?) terrine good. Steak and fries and seafood all acceptable and medium to generous portions. With two glasses of wine each reasonable at just over £54.00.

Room Tip: High front for a good view.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Emsworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 December 2013

I have stayed at the Grand several times - granted it has a faded seaside glamour and the rooms are vastly over priced for the facilities, but it is a special hotel and I have always enjoyed it. NOT THIS TIME though:

Checking in was rushed and hurried - there were so many people with luggage at reception, checking in for a wedding, that staff could not be bothered with us. I had booked MONTHS in advance - it was a special birthday for my sister, and I had specifically asked for sea view rooms with balconies - I even got email confirmation that this would be so BUT we were NOT given these. On querying, I was told that other customers had checked in before us and got them - casually, I was told that there is always demand for these and it is first come first served???

Not satisfied, I showed staff their email saying they had reserved the room I had asked for; they stuck by their "first come first served" attitude, but later they did send a bottle of wine and a box of chocolates to the room by way of apology; while I appreciated the gesture, it did not compensate. We settled to adjoin the rooms so the family could sit together, but it took 30 mins for staff to find someone with the right key to do this.

Sea view rooms were ok - they were the newer ones, but there are no finishing touches and everything is very basic.

We went for drinks at the bar in the evening but service took an age because of the number of guests. We didn't eat at the hotel because of this and because I was so cross at the way we had been treated thus far. We went to the Indian Summer nearby and it is delightful - thoroughly recommend it if you like contemporary Indian food.

Breakfast is nice, but the new counter is very tall - I am not. I couldn't see in the self serve dishes - they are also hot and it is a bit dangerous when you are short and tying to serve food and hold a plate while on tip toes!

On checking out, staff were as uninterested in our stay as the staff checking us in. The normal concierge was not there and the staff dealing with the bags abruptly told us we would have to wait as they were busy with a foyer full of bags and barely looked up when our car was ready.

Truly unmemorable stay.

I have already provided this feedback direct to the hotel and they didn't contact me.

Room Tip: Check and double-check you get the room you think you have paid for, especially if you made a specif...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank HappySUPPER
Uckfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 December 2013

This stay was much better than our stay last year.
The rooms have be updated - we had a room upgrade - full sea view - It was lovely we had 224.
The bar service was very good. good choice of cocktails.The door men are VERY good at their job, Taking the car to the parking and returing it when requested
My only comment would be the fish smell in the reception area in the evening.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 December 2013

The thought of a night away no kids and a romantic night with my husband,lovely. Well if you want that do not go to the grand. Room service, we waited over 45 minutes for a bottle of wine which we gave up so thought we would go to the bar. Make sure if you go to the Grand there is no other wedding or function on as the bar was so busy no seats and it was impossible to get near the bar. So we thought we would try their restaurant, word of warning if you do not book you will not get a table,no word of warning when we booked. So we left the hotel thirsty so went to a bar in Brighton. Come back happy and cheerful so retired to our room ,which was lovely with a great sea view. That was a mistake the music and noise from the night life of Brighton was so loud and to make matters worse the room was so hot we had to leave a window open. So a sea view is great in the day but no so great if you want a good nights sleep. We took the chance of room service for breakfast and nothing turned up at all . By half past ten we left hungry and tired we gave up and checked out . Never to return to the Grand.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Donna G
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 December 2013

several months ago I decided that we should revisit the grand having not been there for a few years. we wre in Brighton for a long weekend attending a classical piano recital by a close friend of ours. The booking was arranged centrally and following a phone call lasting well over twenty minutes where the central booking department had to ring the hotel several times to check details on conncting rooms. we were bringing our daughter with us who is special needs and we wanted connecting rooms. I booked a Feature deluxe seaview room and adjoining it a chambre unique. when the confirmation email came it made no sense as there was no mention of the rooms being connecting so i wrote an email to the hotel and eventually go a reply as the addressee was away and therefore did not see the email for a while. all was sorted out.
we drove down and stopped outside the door of the hotel which is still a very narrow doorway for a Grand Hotel. at that moment there was no doorman though he did appear on other days and times. Clearly there is only one doorman. the hotel was busy in the lobby but the luggage was quickly taken out of the car and the car put away (chargeable) by an effecient concierge. Chexk in was done quickly though as we were early the rooms were not ready. we went off for a stroll and returned at the correct moment to collect the keys. There is only one lift at the grand so waiting time can be considerable so be prepared . we entered our rooms at the far end of the corridor on the second floor and found all the luggage there with our coats all hung away. whereas the seaview was really a very large,comfortable room with good heating adequate lighting, wonderful bed, great bathroom with large tub as well as walk in shower, the chambre unique looked out on the Metropole next door, it was a rectangular room with the bed facing the nearest wall. not really very large but certainly better than the standard doubles which we saw during our stay. The decor though was dark with little lighting so the room was somewhat of a depressing nature and quite frankly not as good as a Holiday Inn. On the first night the plug in the bath would not release thereby forcing us to get the duty manager to summon the plumber to release the full bath contents. we also pointed out that though the bath had an everhead shower as well as a hand held shower...this was not working as the handle was missing for it even though the nuts and botls were there. How could housekeeping pass this bathroom as being fit for purpose ??? for the money that one spends at this level it is not acceptable. If this was my hotel then the housekeeper who inspected the room after cleaning and passed it as fit would be disciplined at the very least. We went out for dinner and though the water was gone from the bath the handle had not been done.
breakfast us the usual full English buffet with no effort to source out decent bread, decent fruit salad. nothing at all grand about this . when we came back to change for the evening concert , the bathroom in my daughter's room struck again. still no handle on the shower and now the toilet handle did nothing so we had to use a waste paper bin to flush her toilet....most wonderful !!! I rang the manager who i had dealt with over the bookings and he met up with maintenance as we went out and I am glad to say that all problems with the bathroom were resolved upon our return with there being a handle on the shower. Why did I have to resort to getting hold of the manager ? I have stayed throughout the last forty years at many five star hotels but this is the first time that a bathroom has been such a shambles.
we entertained for lunch our pianist and his wife in GB2, the fish restaurant at the hotel and this was truly an excellent meal with great service and wine. I will write a seperate review about the restaurant but suffice it to say that it is excellent value for money and in fatc I was surprised at how decent the bill was. Today we checked out and i was suprised that there was no discount automatically placed on our invoice after the hassle with the bathroom. I was further suprised to see that newspapers are not complimentary ie they are chagred to your bill ! very unusual in this level of hotel and so silly as they can easily hide the cost in the room rate and pretend it is a complimentary service ! room service which we used a couple of times was very good making really tasty sandwiches. i get the feeling that as there are so many events in Brighton and so many who treat it as London on the sea that De Vere have become casual about their hotel in Brighton and have saved monies here and there including on the housekeeping side. Imagine walking to breakfast down the corridor and seeing the cleaner's rray of chemicals sitting in the corridor on its own clearly left there for later use. such a big no no in a hotel of this level. It is time for this hotel to really pull up its socks as while the good times roll for the moment there will come a time when people will not be willing to pay a lot and be disappointed in return . Would we go back ? I am not sure at the moment. The stay for three nights all in cost £1,800 and perhaps next time I will source out a hotal that offers better attention to details. I feel that to have had the issues that we had with the bathroom then at the very least a bottle of champagne or a bowl of fresh fruit would have been nice . that reminds me that during our stay there was no turn down service at night so the bathrooms were not tidied up whilst we were out in the evening..very odd again and though we as instructed rang to get our room service tray removed it was still there when we returned late in the evening. I have also forgotten to mention that on all three nights even though we were on the second floor we could hear the music from the Empress rooms on the ground floor so do not expect good soundproofing.

Room Tip: discuss when booking.as there are many inferior rooms. as a rule the more you spend the better the r...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family