“Quality Hotel with an Excellent Reataurant” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Grand Brighton

The Grand Brighton
Ranked #9 of 44 Hotels in Brighton
Leeds, England, United Kingdom
“Quality Hotel with an Excellent Reataurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2013

Well located seafront hotel. Very warm welcome and helpful front of house. Our room had been recently refurbished to the extent that the safe had yet to be installed, however this was attended to within 10 mins. Very busy bar, as focal meeting place for functions and dinner. Dinner in GB1 is really excellent. Billed as a fish brasserie the menu covers all tastes. Specials on the day well worth exploring, really yummy. Good wine list and very attentive staff. Piano or equivalent music in the bar very pleasing and by mid evening the bar returns to an oasis of calm. Seating is not well thought through and struggles with demand. Service again excellent. Breakfast not as good as the Metropole next door and the sausages a bit of a let down. No hash browns, how strange and the fried eggs were not good either. Only part that was disappointing during our stay really, however as we visit often to Brighton, I will certainly come to the Grand as a first choice.

Room Tip: Pay extra for a sea view room. The hotel is a little too old for air-con so the sea air will do you...
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,103)
  • Arabic first
Queensland, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2013

This hotel gets a big wrap online, so my expectations were high. I booked a King Sea View room for one night and it cost me >$US250, so I expected something decent. We arrived by car and were greeted by very efficient driveway staff and porters. Of course, the first word out of their mouth was do you want us to Valet Park and if so, that is 26 pound per night. I guess to be expected, but still expensive. It was after 2pm, so I expected to get straight to our room. The room of course, was not ready, so we had to come back 15 minutes later to check on the status. In my view, the least you should expect is that after 2pm, your room is ready. This is a 7 storey hotel, so when I heard the check in lady mention room 136, I started to get concerned. Anyway, we eventually went to our room at about 2.40pm. I was really disappointed. The room had to be the least preferred room in the hotel and that really annoys me. It was indeed the 1st floor, it had this concrete solid wall as the balcony perimeter, so unless you were tall, you had only a view of the ocean in the distance. I hate it when hotels try you on with the worst room in the hotel. I paid for this booking in advance, some 5 months earlier, so it did not expect to receive this treatment. I decided to complain and we were offered another room on the sixth floor, but this room did not have a balcony. So we went from the worst room in the hotel to a room that was missing the balcony, when all other rooms facing the sea had balconies. The room itself is ok, decent size and fit out, but overall, my experience was far less than what I expected, especially having travelled half way around the world to stay here.

Room Tip: If you book a room with a sea view, be clear that you expect a decent sea view.
1 Thank Craig D
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2013

Hotel is lovely, staff are all very polite. Room was clean and tidy, bathroom was spotless. Sea view, nice to wake up to. Only downfall would be parking if you haven't booked in advance.
Breakfast in the morning was well worth a taste, usual foods. The bed huge and very comfortable. Bar was nice but very busy.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2013

I love this hotel. We use it all the time and my partner had got me three days there for Christmas. Can't wait. The honeymoon suite is beautiful. Te staff also always go the extra mile, that itself has made it worth the money.

Room Tip: Honeymoon suite is lovely
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2013

We stayed for 1 night as we were attending a function there.
We booked a sea veiw room and was not disappointed. The room is extremely impressive with every attention to detail made.
The room was large, comfortable and furnished with luxury fittings. The bathroom was equally impressive with a seperate shower cubicle 2 basins and plenty of space.
The little touches of a 'decent hairdryer' comprehensive details of what and where things are in Brighton beautifully illustrated in a book and lovely toiletries made the too short a stay memorable.
But what impressed me the most was the curtious, kind, helpful staff. Nothing was too much trouble, each and every member of staff that we came across including the function staff were professional and efficent in their duties and had genuine happy smiles.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 6th floor with a sea veiw, excellent veiw of Brighton
Brighton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2013

Stay a few times before the refurbishment and was great. This time around since we arrive the service and the room in self lets down. Good food at the restaurant. Great service at the bar/lounge special Cedric who made our stay better value.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
essex
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2013

In some ways, 2 is quite a harsh score but it sums up several things that were just not what they should have been. Accepting that I was on a business conference package, having a room with no view (just a few feet to the opposite rooms) should not have been a surprise and wasn't. This was my second room, but the first was just the other side however, I couldn't actually get into that room. The staff had the same problem but then said I could 'pull it then push it' and it should be ok. That they would still get maintenance to look at it 'in the morning' didn't fill me with optimism and I insisted on a new room. The room itself was ok - huge bed. But the wall handle for the shower & bath was loose, there was no bath mat & it all felt a bit jaded as did quite a few areas in the hotel.
I will Say that breakfast is very good. Shame about the lunches. Day one, I chose risotto which arrived looking like a congealed rice pudding & luke warm. Not good at all. I changed my order for the second day to the chicken Caesar salad. Much better - until I discovered the long and dark coloured hair in the middle of it. No I didn't want a replacement or to order anything else. That was enough thanks:-(

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business