“Seafront Room”

Ranked #9 of 44 Hotels in Brighton
sussex
“Seafront Room”
Reviewed 3 January 2014

we stayed here the saturday before christmas for a works do,on the whole a pleasant experience . i have visited the Grand on numerous occasions over the years but not to stay overnight. We had a seafront room with wonderful views of the awful weather and what is left of West Pier, the room was tastefully furnished and came with a huge bed which was very comfortable.yes the room was a bit draughty but once you closed the very thick curtains it was very cosy indeed.and yes the floorboards creaked but that comes with the territory of an old building. We had arrived at 2pm so enjoyed tea and sandwiches down in the bar. excellent food and excellent service all the staff were very attentive. after the dinner dance we sat in the bar on cosy friendly sofas and once again attentive staff, who were happy to do piles of toasted sandwiches at 1am in the morning. Breakfast was good with a Buffet offering food for all tastes. Our english breakfast was hot and tasty and much needed after the night before.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,143)
  • Arabic first
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 January 2014 via mobile

We booked online a room at short notice for half price while on the road. We were pleased to get a good rate but were put in room 104, which has no external view (other than the wall opposite), was hot and had no way to ventilate or cool the room (windows wired shut to prevent throwing yourself at the opposite wall, presumably). This actually meant that the room we got was, at best, worth the price we paid. It was no longer a 'good deal'.

The staff were polite and helpful, but there were too few of them. For example, breakfast this morning had a large queue outside and took us more than ten minutes to reach the desk, where the maître de then took us on a ramble to our table. She should have passed guests to a waiter for seating, who could then have taken the coffee order, shortening the time taken by both elements of the system they have currently.

Similarly, the concierge was too busy and getting the car took too long. The one lady who appeared to be on housekeeping duties when we arrived was very helpful but clearly overworked. Not 5*.

Finally, I was horrified to be asked to pay a five percent credit card uplift on checking out. This is outrageous for a hotel of this size and supposed status. If you want to charge an uplift on your room rate, do it. Do not take advantage of people at check out!

Location is great, but hotel feels like it is on the decline and needs a serious dose of senior management attention.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 January 2014

Truly stunning hotel in a wonderful seafront location - it has all the grandeur of the original Grand but has been revamped to a beautiful standard.
Breakfast is self-serve but good quality, and the room was stunning.
Very surprised indeed, in a good way.

Room Tip: Ask for a balcony
Reviewed 2 January 2014

I have minimal interest in hotels - and the lateness of this review maybe confirms this. I stayed at the Grand for 2 nights in mid-November, when I was in Brighton for a conference. I spent little time in the hotel room, basically going back there to sleep.

The room was one of the lower grade ones, with a window covered in (peeling) plastic film. Fine - I hadn't paid for the room, and hadn't expected anything upmarket. It was more of a problem that the room had a strong and genuinely unpleasant smell, relieved somewhat by sleeping with the window open a few inches (which was as far as it would go). There's no way that house keeping would have failed to notice the smell. It was quite noticeable from the corridor outside, and really strong inside the room. The room should not have been let in that condition. Of course I should have made a fuss and demanded a room change. I didn't, because I came in, dropped off my bag, went out to meet people, and came back late and exhausted. It wasn't pleasant, though.

After my first night, I was vaguely aware that my leg itched. I was incredibly busy. An intermittent itch on my leg was the least of my concerns. After the second night, there was no mistaking what was going on. I had 5 or 6 quite itchy spots, that were almost certainly insect bites. I didn't have them when I arrived. I did have them after 2 nights at the Grand. Go figure...

This was at a level that obviously needed flagging up. I told the receptionist at check out. She looked worried and called the Duty Manager. The Duty Manager was polite, charming, and appropriately concerned. She took my contact details. She promised to investigate and get back to me without fail the following day. I never heard from her again.

I'm laid back, unconcerned about where I sleep, and generally not in the business of making complaints. The account speaks for itself, though. This was a standard of accommodation that was appalling, and a level of service that was very plainly unacceptable.

Were there good points? Yes. A good breakfast, efficient check-in, a beautiful building, a helpful doorman. Do those things in any way compensate for going away itchy? No! Maybe this is a hotel that focuses on its richer guests and ignores the rest of us. If not, they do a damn good impression of that!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
11 Thank CalDusty
Reviewed 2 January 2014

I had booked this for my anniversary after reading all the rave reviews! Upon arrival the hotel looks very beautiful from the outside. The staff were friendly and check in was easy. However when we got to the room it was a different story.

The room was nice enough but the floorboards creaked very loudly in nearly every part of the room. We also later found out that they creaked in the corridor alongside our room too! You can imagine how frustrating this can be in a hotel when people are in and out at all times of the night especially on New Years eve! The room was also far too hot with no thermostat to turn it down but if you opened the window there was gale force winds outside! There were paint stains on the curtain and the floor. The shower curtain was black with dirt all along the bottom of it. The bathroom suite athough clean looked like it had had its day with creaks and strange irremovable orange stains on the bath.

You also can't use any of the spa facilities without paying for a treatment first! No access to anything. Not even the steam room or sauna. They don't tell you that on the website when you're booking it! You only find out when you arrive. Considering the amount you pay for the hotel, they should at least give you access to the facilities and booking treatments should be your own choice! Most hotels with a spa/sauna/pool give you access to their facilities if you are a paying guest.

I've stayed in quite a few 4* and 5* hotels and the details are what make the hotel a 5* hotel. There was a complete lack of this. I didn't feel at all like I was staying in a 5* hotel. You pay the price for a 5* hotel to feel at luxury! They even state the hotel "offers a luxurious experience" but this was far from that. Definately was not worth the outrageous price I paid for it!

1 Thank Qandeel W
Reviewed 2 January 2014

So thrilled to return to The Grand following the recent gorgeous refurb. We had a stunning seaview room which had been newly refurbished from top to bottom - so restful, modern and tasteful. Also really loved all the in house dining - see separate review for more info, so much so we didn't bother venturing any further and managed to sample two afternoon teas and dinners on both nights - champagne bar is a must! We were also so impressed by the quality of all the staff we came into contact with, friendly, helpful and professional. My only slight disappointment was the quality of the spa treatment, a lovely girl, but perhaps in need of more training.

A huge thanks to The Grand team for a really fabulous stay!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
England
Reviewed 1 January 2014 via mobile

Stayed at the Grand Hotel on New Year's Eve and whilst I had a great night, this hotel wasn't a factor. Very disappointed with my stay.
Arrival was absolutely fine, nice easy check in and extremely friendly staff. The room was clean and well decorated. But it was only when we went to bed that I realised the problems with our room. We'd booked a Superior King room I was really not happy to find it was just two queen beds joined together. It meant us both sleeping on one side of the bed or else one of use sleeping on the really uncomfortable joint in the middle of the bed.
Our sleep was made worse because the sash window could not properly shut at the top of the window. This meant that the wind and noise was able to get into the room and caused the window to rattle all night in the wind, making our sleep far from relaxing - in fact I hardly got any sleep because of it. Half way through the night I had to get up and slide a towel through the gap in the window, hoping to fix it. I raised it with Reception on check out and whilst apologetic, she asked whether I'd thought to contact reception when I first became aware - no, not at 2 in the morning!, no, I didn't really feel like it!
Other aspects of our stay meant I wasn't impressed:
- only one dressing gown for two people
- room service breakfast arrived 10 minutes earlier than requested
- there was a PIN on the Sky movies channels, with no information in the room about what the number was
- if a hotel wants you to complete a breakfast menu for room service, the room should come with a complimentary pen (very minor issue but we had to use a make-up pen!!)
- facility to listen to TV in the bathroom didn't work.
- the lifts took AGES to arrive

All in all, very nice helpful staff but very disappointing stay. This is not a GRAND hotel. Far from it, and so many better options elsewhere in Brighton.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple