“Afternoon Tea”
Review of The Grand Brighton

The Grand Brighton
Ranked #10 of 43 Hotels in Brighton
Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

Delicious afternoon High Tea, food was lovely as was the tea. Bit miffed at a 10% service charge though, I prefer to leave my own tip and this was not advertised on the website. Lovely, comfy sofas and an extensive tea menu. I chose the house blended Napoleon tea. Left on a real sugar rush!

Stayed: February 2014
3  Thank Winonski
Write a ReviewReviews (8,089)

Reviewed 23 February 2014

We decided to stay at The Grand for 3 nights as our Honeymoon treat and what a good choice it was! the room was fantastic, we recieved Champagne & strawberries in our room which was very much appreciated, Thank You. The real reason to stay at The Grand though is the staff! They are all fantastic, the doormen, reception staff, restaurant organisers, chefs etc but by far was the waiters & waitresses in the evening, especially Johnathan & Agga (forgive me if my spelling is rubbish) They made our evenings eating at the Grand wonderful, Thank You.. We had planned to eat out at different places but chose to eat here on the first night and realised we would struggle to top the food and service, both top notch, so we ate in the restaurant every night. One word of caution, on the final night I requested to eat at the bar, give this a miss, no Agga or Johnathan to look after you, talk to you, laugh with you, my mistake as at the bar the guy has too many people to look after, not his fault but not ideal.
Just a request to De Vere, PLEASE look at the breakfast situation, as you have a buffet policy it is does not work with such a small station to choose your breakfast from, either put a 2nd station in or make the 1 you have bigger, at weekends it resembles a scrum and your staff are over-run refilling and your guests are left feeling short changed. I hope you see that as constructive.
Overall what a wonderful place to stay, I would suggest you go and enjoy! Thank You again to all of you at The Grand in our eyes you are all "Grand"

Reviewed 22 February 2014

I have stayed in many hotels but this one is the main jewel of De Veres crown.This is true luxury to say the least.The staff are impeccably smart, well mannered,friendly and most of all helpful.From the minute the doorman opens the door for you and welcomes you to when you leave everyone delivers the same high standard of service.
The reception staff are so helpful that nothing is too much trouble for them.We had a beautiful seaview room which is worth the money,it had been decorated to a very high standard. However it was over the function room which caused us not to sleep however we were moved to another seaview room on the other side of the hotel which rectified the problem.The main road noise can be forgiven as the view was spectacular. The decour is in keeping with date of the building and has been refurbished to a very high standard to bring out the features and give a real quality feeling to hotel.You have the feeling of living in Downtown abbey with the personal touches of afternoon tea.Served with real cups and saucers,plates and silver (stainless steel)teapots,a real feast of delights to complimenmt the tea.Which if taken in the conservatory with the seaview is just magical. If you get the chance to visit the spa the luxury doesn't stop there the relaxation louge is just wonderful,the facilities are fantastic,also the staff have the same high standard of service.
Breakfast is a buffet with a wide selection of food,there is a menu for specilist itemsie: kippers,eggs benedict.The staff are on hand to serve you tea or coffee. I requested poached eggs on toast and were not disappointed with the quality and speed of service.
Overall this has been a real peek into how hotels should be run and we will certainly be returning for that touch of luxury again.

Room Tip: If you book a seaview room make sure it's not above the function room as you won't get any s...
1  Thank Debbie E
Reviewed 21 February 2014

I was taken here with five of my best friends for my 50th birthday. It was fantastic. The afternoon tea was lovely, plenty of it, copious amounts of tea, piano playing (even happy birthday!), and they brought out a cake with Happy 50th Birthday written in chocolate on the plate. It was so lovely and special. The staff were very attentive and we had very comfortable sofas to sit on. There was two sittings but we weren't ushered out. Would be lovely to sit in the window on a lovely Spring day. Would definitely go again and would recommend it. Certainly for an elderly relatives birthday, as the opulence and "old fashioned" décor would be appreciated. The price (although I didn't pay for mine) was very reasonable in comparison to other high quality hotels that offer the same service. Less than £25.00 per head.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Katherine2
Reviewed 20 February 2014

I stayed here for a few nights back in 2011. The hotel has a very awe inspiring presence from the outside, and the staff at the door and reception are very friendly and accommodating. The inside of the hotel has lots of character (but in a strange way looks a bit dated) and the rooms are very spacious. The only time I ate in the hotel was for breakfast which was good, plenty of choice and well cooked food. However, all of this is bog standard for a hotel of this quality, to be honest, there was nothing about this hotel that stood out to me and made me go, wow!
So, in summary, you pays your money and you takes your choice, you will not be let down by this place, but I felt I came away, not disappointed, but just somehow feeling I should have come away feeling a little bit more excited about my stay.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 February 2014

My wife and I were in Brighton for a concert and stayed at The Grand in a standard room for just one night (a Monday)- The "meet and greet" on arrival was very good indeed with the concierge taking the car and luggage with alacrity. We checked in and though our room was not yet ready (We were early) the reception staff could not have been nicer.
After lunch in town we were shown to our room which though "a standard" was larger than expected with good facilities and a huge bed. Afternoon tea in the bar/lounge was good and as we were kept waiting a few minutes we were told it was complimentary!!
Breakfast the following morning (mainly buffet though there is an option for more dishes at extra cost) was first class.
The price - very reasonable considering the facilities and position of the hotel, we would thoroughly recommend it.

1  Thank JolsMiltonKeynes
Reviewed 19 February 2014

Stayed here for one night and its one of the most expensive hotels in Brighton so you expect a lot for your money. It was however, very old fashioned from the Carpet to the walls and bed linen, the customer service was great . It just needs to be modernised . Hardly anybody likes that dated look any more.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family