“Business visit”
Review of The Grand Brighton

The Grand Brighton
Ranked #10 of 43 Hotels in Brighton
Reviewed 9 March 2014

Only stayed for one night, check in very professional and friendly room was well presented and staff were excellent throughout.
Breakfast was good and again staff very good nice atmosphere in the hotel. Only negative was the basin in the bathroom which was dirty round the rim otherwise good stay and will stay in the future.

Room Tip: Ask for sea view as rooms at the back have clouded glass, but they are quiet.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for The Grand Brighton

Reviewed 7 March 2014

My adult daughter and I had a two night stay recently, on a 'special offer'. Our room had a view of a derelict building, which did not surprise me as we were on a 'bargain'. However, the room was generally disappointing. Tops of cupboards, frames and phone were dusty. The door knob on the bathroom was hanging off so we had to leave the bathroom door open or risk getting stuck in it. There was no room temperature control and it was too hot. No hotel brochure or book of information. The towels and towelling robes were worn and scratchy. Beds were very comfortable however. The toilet could have done with a good bleach. No WI-FI presumably without extra cost. Information at Reception was not forthcoming. I got the impression that we, as guests staying on a 'special offer' were second class.
The ladies' loo on the ground floor was grim, with dirty corners and grotty broken flooring.
Breakfast on day 2 was a farce. We came down at about 9.30am to find a queue for the restaurant. There are a huge amount of tables, most of which were empty apart from dirty breakfast things. There seemed to be a lack of staff, although there were quite a few young girls in suits marching around self importantly but not actually doing anything.
There was only one toaster (DIY) and one serving station for hot breakfast food. Woefully inadequate for the number of guests and more to the point at least half of the containers of food (i.e. baked beans, tomatoes) were empty! I got the last plate and had to stand there with lots of other people waiting for staff to bring out more food. On day 1 they had fresh orange juice, and tiny little glasses. On day 2 the orange juice was from concentrate and the glasses were twice the size.
On the day we were leaving I asked reception to have our bags brought to reception while I went to get my car. This was not done so we had to wait.
I made a complaint about all the above, and provided photographic evidence. I had a courteous reply and to the hotel's credit we were offered one complimentary night's stay. When I said that we had stayed two nights and that the complimentary stay should reflect this I had (at this time of writing) received no response.
Regarding the nightmare of parking in Brighton, you can pre-book a space at the NCP, which is more convenient and cheaper than doing it when you get there.

Room Tip: Room 508 (5th Floor) not great. Depressing view. Too hot and no temperature control. Broken door...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank EVMarx
Reviewed 4 March 2014

I stayed here last weekend with my mum as a little weekend away treat. The hotel is gorgeous and once you step in there the service is wonderful from everyone that greets you when you arrive. The receptionists were really helpful and friendly and the service was generally fab.

We had booked a deluxe sea view room and was told the room was situated under the function room where they would be music playing till 1am. This was not ideal and I did ask if we could be moved to an alternative room. This was at 11am anyway and we couldn't check in so went off shopping and lunch. By the time we arrived back to see our room at 3pm, we had already been moved to a lovely room on the 7th floor without even having to bring up the issue again so for me, this was great service and was very appreciated.

Breakfast the next morning was great and lots of choice of food.

The rooms have been recently refurbished and are beautiful. I wouldn't stay anywhere else in Brighton now

Thanks and see you soon :)

Room Tip: 7th floor - better sea views
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Dicfoley
Reviewed 3 March 2014

I was looking for a one day one night conference venue for my team of 25 recently and decided that Brighton would at least get every one excited to be besides the sea. Looking around the Grand not only had the grandeur I wanted to impress with but also the most amazing package. The room, dinner, bed and breakfast for £160 per head. What a deal! The staff were helpful and willing, the rooms have all been renovated to a modern luxury look, and the food was excellent. I can highly recommend this hotel for a business do or personal break. What is bizarre is that I live in Brighton and pass the Grand every weekend, but my memories of it are of an old and faded place. Oh no it's gorgeous and I shall be using it a lot more from now on.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 March 2014

My partner has always wanted to stay here so booked a 1 night stay as a birthday treat.

Upon arrival our room was not ready as they needed to check it first, the receptonist offered us a complimentary hot drink whilst we waited, so we thought the service would contine throughout our stay but what a disappoint.

The room was like a sauna even though we stayed in mid winter! There appeared to be no temperature control.

The welcome pack was all about how you could spend money in the hotel, no details of how to get breakfast or what time it wss served, we had to ask reception.

I upgraded the room to include a starbucks coffee machine but was unable to use as the plug located next to it was hanging off the wall! I had to boil the kettle on the floor as there were no plugs near a table and the tea tray was in the wardrobe.

Considering we had to wait for them to check our room they clearly missed the toothpaste stain on the cushion.

To top it off I put the bathrobe on in the morning to a find a gapping whole in it like a rat had chewed it!

The breakfast is a huge disappointment, buffett was cold and not appetising. Considering the size of this hotel you would think they would be able to cope with people ordering breakfast and it being served to order.

We were offered a £89 refund but considering how much we paid this was a bit if an insult.

Will definitely never be returning here, ive had better experiences in a premeir inn for a third if the price!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Helen S
Reviewed 3 March 2014

The hotel was beautiful and clean throughout. The rooms were spacious and had everything you needed. The restaurant had a lovely atmosphere and the food was just amazing. Of course the staff were just so professional and friendly and made you feel so welcome and relaxed. With regards to the Spa at The Grand - well in one word WOW! It is just luxurious and so beautifully decorated. The treatments we had were the hot stone massage and the lift hip and thigh treatments which we would recommend to anyone. Our therapists, Verity, Penny and Justine were fantastic and very knowledgable about what they do and offered lots of advise and tips to introduce into our daily routine. Overall our entire weekend was fantastic and we are on the train now heading home and planning our next break to the grand!

• Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed 3 March 2014

I have lived in Sussex all my life (that's about 30 years) and have been lucky enough to stay in a wide range of hotels and resorts in that time. The Grand has always only ever been one of those places that I walk past and think "I wonder what that's like?"

So we went as a group of 4; the in-laws, my wife and I for 1 night on 1st March 2014.

Firstly, we were greeted by a friendly, well-dressed chap who was manning the front door and directing traffic. Disappointingly, we were told their car park was full and that they were directing people to the NCP around the corner (24 hour stay at £25.10) - so off we went, having offloaded luggage. Check-in itself was painless enough and luggage willingly taken to our rooms for us.

Rooms were spectacular, we were on the 7th floor with a sea view. Decorated to a high standard and very comfortable beds, sofa and chairs.

We did not stay in for dinner that night but were told the restaurant was fully booked anyway. We did attempt to get a drink at the bar/lounge area, but all seating was occupied so We promptly retreated to our room with said drink before heading out for the evening.

A taxi was booked for us immediately on request and turned up on time.

On return to the hotel at 11pm, we fancied a bite so ordered room service. This was from the 24 hour menu; we ordered California rolls (sushi) and a club baguette. Service was slow, the food took the best part of an hour to arrive, and these were not hot dishes - the sushi in particular I can imagine is pre prepared and grabbed from the fridge as required. That aside, the chap who delivered the food was apologetic that they were very busy and pleasant with it.

Breakfast. Bit of a shambles. We arrived around 09:30 to find the main restaurant pretty much packed. We had to move some furniture around to create our own table for 4 (with assistance from a member of staff in fairness).

The buffet setup resembled a feeding trough for animals. It was constantly running out of hot items and I would say totally inadequate for the number of people in the restaurant. I opted for smoked haddock from the menu (£4.95 supplement) which took around 30 minutes to arrive. In the meantime, I grabbed a few bits from the cold buffet which also was running out. The staff you could see were clearly overworked and this unfortunately reflected in the overall quality.

In summary, this certainly is a Grand hotel as far as the architecture and decor are concerned. But in my opinion, the quality of service and food are let down by a lack of staff at times. Add to that I felt a general air of pretentiousness from the whole place, not befitting of the actual quality you end up with. A bit of a disappointment to be honest, when you consider the cost of staying here.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple