“Misleading Website” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #9 of 44 Hotels in Brighton
Bath, United Kingdom
“Misleading Website”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2014

First of all I would like to say that I didn't stay this time. I didn't get past reservations on the phone and then reception at the hotel itself. Secondly I have stayed twice before it was renovated and it did need renovating. I got through to their central reservations which is always a pain as they have no idea of what the hotel provides most of the time. I asked about availability and then as an afterthought asked if the sauna was in working order as I wanted to go for a workout and then a sauna. The reply I got from the young man was 'as far as he knew' it was. Well that's not really a very good answer as I told him, as had I booked and got there and found the sauna out of order I wouldn't have been too pleased. I said I'd like to speak to someone at the hotel and he told me to call the same number and wait till the end of the options which I did.
The girl who answered the phone seemed to struggle to understand what I was asking her and went rambling on about only hotel guests are allowed to use the facilities and I stopped her and repeated my question. I wanted to know if the sauna was working and then was informed that even as a guest I could only use the sauna if I had a treatment!! They don't put that on the website! And they quote a 'fully equipped gym'. As a regular gym user 'fully equipped' means 'fully equipped' but I was a little concerned by now so asked the receptionist what pieces of equipment are there in the gym exactly. I was told just a treadmill and a cycle and some weights! I hardly call that 'fully equipped'! Just as well I didn't book a room as I could see a big argument trying to get my money back had I turned out to find a pathetic exercise room rather than a gym and a sauna that I can't use unless I pay for a treatment! What a rip off and I don't care how lovely they've made the rooms they are deceiving people by what they put on their website. And that is why I'm writing this so that other people don't spend over £200 (which was what we were going to do today) and get ripped off if they wanted gym facilities!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank foodmaiden

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,103)
  • Arabic first
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2014

Thankfully we only spent a night here - frosted film on the windows meant it was pretty dark and gloomy, the breakfast was yuk, the location was pretty good but for a few extra quid I'd rather have stayed next door at the Hilton or a few quid less at the Premier Inn. Once was definitely enough.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 123Colleen
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2014

we stayed in the grand hotel for one night ( to see a show) checked in at 2-30 ,concierge parked the car and delivered bags to our room etc , first class service, first class hotel and staff :-) sea view room a must :-)

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2014

Only stayed for one night, check in very professional and friendly room was well presented and staff were excellent throughout.
Breakfast was good and again staff very good nice atmosphere in the hotel. Only negative was the basin in the bathroom which was dirty round the rim otherwise good stay and will stay in the future.

Room Tip: Ask for sea view as rooms at the back have clouded glass, but they are quiet.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Stevenage
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2014

My adult daughter and I had a two night stay recently, on a 'special offer'. Our room had a view of a derelict building, which did not surprise me as we were on a 'bargain'. However, the room was generally disappointing. Tops of cupboards, frames and phone were dusty. The door knob on the bathroom was hanging off so we had to leave the bathroom door open or risk getting stuck in it. There was no room temperature control and it was too hot. No hotel brochure or book of information. The towels and towelling robes were worn and scratchy. Beds were very comfortable however. The toilet could have done with a good bleach. No WI-FI presumably without extra cost. Information at Reception was not forthcoming. I got the impression that we, as guests staying on a 'special offer' were second class.
The ladies' loo on the ground floor was grim, with dirty corners and grotty broken flooring.
Breakfast on day 2 was a farce. We came down at about 9.30am to find a queue for the restaurant. There are a huge amount of tables, most of which were empty apart from dirty breakfast things. There seemed to be a lack of staff, although there were quite a few young girls in suits marching around self importantly but not actually doing anything.
There was only one toaster (DIY) and one serving station for hot breakfast food. Woefully inadequate for the number of guests and more to the point at least half of the containers of food (i.e. baked beans, tomatoes) were empty! I got the last plate and had to stand there with lots of other people waiting for staff to bring out more food. On day 1 they had fresh orange juice, and tiny little glasses. On day 2 the orange juice was from concentrate and the glasses were twice the size.
On the day we were leaving I asked reception to have our bags brought to reception while I went to get my car. This was not done so we had to wait.
I made a complaint about all the above, and provided photographic evidence. I had a courteous reply and to the hotel's credit we were offered one complimentary night's stay. When I said that we had stayed two nights and that the complimentary stay should reflect this I had (at this time of writing) received no response.
Regarding the nightmare of parking in Brighton, you can pre-book a space at the NCP, which is more convenient and cheaper than doing it when you get there.

Room Tip: Room 508 (5th Floor) not great. Depressing view. Too hot and no temperature control. Broken door...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank EVMarx
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2014

I stayed here last weekend with my mum as a little weekend away treat. The hotel is gorgeous and once you step in there the service is wonderful from everyone that greets you when you arrive. The receptionists were really helpful and friendly and the service was generally fab.

We had booked a deluxe sea view room and was told the room was situated under the function room where they would be music playing till 1am. This was not ideal and I did ask if we could be moved to an alternative room. This was at 11am anyway and we couldn't check in so went off shopping and lunch. By the time we arrived back to see our room at 3pm, we had already been moved to a lovely room on the 7th floor without even having to bring up the issue again so for me, this was great service and was very appreciated.

Breakfast the next morning was great and lots of choice of food.

The rooms have been recently refurbished and are beautiful. I wouldn't stay anywhere else in Brighton now

Thanks and see you soon :)

Room Tip: 7th floor - better sea views
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Dicfoley
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2014 via mobile

I was looking for a one day one night conference venue for my team of 25 recently and decided that Brighton would at least get every one excited to be besides the sea. Looking around the Grand not only had the grandeur I wanted to impress with but also the most amazing package. The room, dinner, bed and breakfast for £160 per head. What a deal! The staff were helpful and willing, the rooms have all been renovated to a modern luxury look, and the food was excellent. I can highly recommend this hotel for a business do or personal break. What is bizarre is that I live in Brighton and pass the Grand every weekend, but my memories of it are of an old and faded place. Oh no it's gorgeous and I shall be using it a lot more from now on.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business