“A Special Treat”

Ranked #9 of 44 Hotels in Brighton
Knutsford, United Kingdom
“A Special Treat”
Reviewed 30 April 2014

I had to work in Lewes for a couple of day and though I would treat myself to a stay at the Grand. This is such a treat. A special hotel.

A few tips for future customers

- Dont park there £30 per night
- Ask for a sea view, if they are quiet you may be lucky
- Walk in to town it's only 10 minutes

Breakfast was very good and the porters were most helful. The receptionist on check out needs to look at the customer, not once did I get eye contact.

Michael the Bars manager was great, his knowldge and customer service was spot on.

Room Tip: - Dont park there £30 per night - Ask for a sea view, if they are quiet you may be lucky - Walk in...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
AMGMDGB, General Manager at The Grand Brighton, responded to this review, 9 May 2014
Thank you for your recent comments on Trip Advisor.

I am pleased you had an enjoyable stay. We are very lucky to be situated so close to the city centre. Your kind comments will be passed on to the concierge team and our bar manager. I apologise you did not feel the same about the receptionist that greeted you. I intend to pass on your feedback immediately to ensure this does not happen again.

Andrew Mosley

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,127)
  • Arabic first
Londonderryy, NorthernIrelnd
Reviewed 29 April 2014

Stayed from 13th to 16th April 2014.Was attending Conference.Didn't matter about the view which was a wall.I wasn't going to be sitting in I came and intended to see Brighton. Breakfast was great plenty of choice and the Staff in the dining area in the morning were very attentive making sure you got your tea and coffee fix.Reception Staff were friendly and willing to help out when my Cousin who'd travelled down from London to see me needed to know the train times to return home they looked it up and printed it out for her. They also charged her phone when she called at first to meet me and I was still at the Conference venue.The room was spotless on arrival. After the room was cleaned every day I placed the Refresh sign on the door.Fresh bedding and towels.I could not fault the Service or staff they work hard to make your stay pleasant and they're always willing to help.A beautiful hotel inside needs a wee bit of TLC on the outside and lovely staff.Thankyou all for such a lovely stay.

Thank you for your recent comments on Trip Advisor.

I am very pleased to hear you had an enjoyable stay and would be happy to visit us again. I will pass on your kind comments to the housekeeping team. In regards to the interior of the hotel, we are still undergoing some refurbishments. However, we have chosen to stage the works throughout the year so as to not to cause too much disruption to the hotel at one time.

Buntingford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 April 2014

We re-visited this Hotel, to see if our initial review was incorrect, and this time we were delighted with our stay. The staff were helpful, friendly and on the ball. The hotel is a beautiful building and kept clean and tidy. Our room was just a little bit tired (i.e the paint work etc), and we had a nice view of a wall ! The room itself was large and comfortable. It has all that you need. The bed was sooooo comfortable, that we actually dosed off in the afternoon, and had a wonderful sleep that night. We ate at the Hotels restaurant, and the food is not to be missed. Our waitress (although a bit hard to understand) was very obliging, gave us recommendations and was friendly but not over the top. The concierge were helpful too as the Brighton Marathon was on the day we left and they gave us plenty of advice as to how to avoid the road blocks. It is within walking distance of the Lanes, The Brighton Eye, and the Sealife Centre. This is certainly a hotel we will come back to on our trips to Brighton.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your recent comments on Trip Advisor.

It is wonderful to hear you were delighted with your second stay at the Grand. We are proud of our overall high standard of cleanliness so I am pleased it met your expectations. Nearly half of our rooms are sea facing or have sea views, but being a city hotel there are also internal views as well. I will be sure to pass your compliments on to our staff.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Good return stay at the Grand. On arrival Dave at hand to take the luggage and make us feel welcome. His colleague Pav also very helpful. Chambre Unique sea view was perfect, we even got a suntan whilst drinking coffee on the balcony. Traffic noise not a problem. Thanks to Tamara for organising our rooms, efficient, professional and could not do enough for us. Dinner in the GB1 is to be recommended, absolutely delicious and attentive staff. Another stay which lived up to expectations.

Room Tip: 5th floor sea view Chambre Unique room...fab.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank K A
Thank you for your recent comments on Trip Advisor.

It is fantastic to have welcomed you back to the Grand for a second time. I am very glad you had the opportunity to stay in one of our sea view rooms and made the most of the sunshine out on the private balcony. I will pass on your great experience at GB1 to the chef and restaurant staff.

Broxbourne
Reviewed 27 April 2014

This is our third visit in one year and each time gets better. The staff welcome us as if old friends. Dave is always exceptional on the door helping us with our cases and car, explaining all to us, at the same time making us laugh. When I had left something in the car Pav jumped at the chance to get it for me and it was in my room waiting when I got back. We had a delicious meal in the restaurant which the desert will be my favourite for a long time. Breakfast delivered to the room is the best option no queuing and it is always hot when delivered. But last but not least is the lovely Tamara, she always deals with all of our needs and reserves perfect rooms for us, and gives us a welcome that you can not wait for the next visit. Thank you all for a wonderful time.

Room Tip: You can not beat a sea view room. But they are all beautifully refurbished now.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for your recent comments on Trip Advisor.

I am pleased to hear you had an enjoyable stay with us on your third visit to the Grand. Dave will be very pleased to hear your kind comments.

kent
Reviewed 27 April 2014 via mobile

I booked 2 rooms as a special occasion for family. It took 3 emails and 1 call to ensure that 1 room was a twin. I received no response to my emails and finally just had to call.
Upgraded to sea front king size - great room although bathrooms are disappointing in size - tiny little bath with no separate shower. The room did have a great view.
Breakfast was very average - quality just wasn't there or service.
Checking out was an absolute joke - the day we arrived I was advised that as I wanted to pay by debit card, I would need to pay for the accommodation. All was paid. Checking out .... You still owe for the room upgrade and 1 room and parking ..... The room had been paid, we hadn't used the car park but we apparently needed to pay for the upgrade (which we had been asked to pay the day before). No apology given - just a "it's the system". Honestly - check your bill here!
Also - disappointedly, we had planned our evening to incorporate a beverage at the bar. Sat down ... "This is reserved for a party". 1 hour later that party drift on in ... Ends up with a couple having a huge argument and near on fight! Seriously - great people watching but absolutely no attempt by anyone to stop the scene!
There was a huge demonstration on the Sunday / police everywhere - we asked where and when was safe to venture out ..... The answer, not sure - I walk to work with my eyes closed so didn't see any police! Nb. The whole front from the hotel to pier was restricted with hundreds of police!
Thanks reception for being really inefficient and so unhelpful!
Other than the room - massively over rated!

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank suzie7305
Thank you for your recent comments on Trip Advisor.

I do apologise that you were not given the high standard of communication that you should expect. I can assure you this feedback has been passed on and will not be the case in the future.

However I am very pleased to hear you enjoyed staying in one of our upgraded rooms.

Co. Antrim
Reviewed 26 April 2014

The hotel is very well located. A short walk from the station and only a few minutes from the main town and the pier. It is clean, comfortable and the décor although not modern adds to the charm. Breakfast is good and the restaurant is lovely for lunch. The accommodation is very good and there is free Wi-Fi in the hotel.
It is close to a conference centre, cinema and beach.

Room Tip: You need a sea view!!
Thank you for your recent comments on Trip Advisor.

I am very pleased you had a lovely stay. We are very lucky to be located so close to the city centre but also right in the middle of sea front and always encourage guests to make the most of what Brighton has to offer.