“improvements but housekeeping needs to improve”
Review of The Grand Brighton

The Grand Brighton
Ranked #9 of 43 Hotels in Brighton
London, United Kingdom
“improvements but housekeeping needs to improve”
Reviewed 30 April 2014

we returned to The grand as due to big issues on our last stay such as shower handle missing and toilet flush not working, the hotel deputy manager had contacted me and offered us two nights in the same rooms (preferred) at a time of our choice including beakfast. we stayed for one extra night which I paid for. The rooms were a sea facing very large room with a wonderful seated area plus an Emporer size bed. The room was light coloured and reasonably lit at night. As before we enjoyed it very much. Adjoining this room was a small side facing room where our daughter stayed. This was fine with the bathroom functioning properly this visit. "Where yet again the hotel standard was let down by housekeeping. The main bathroom on the first night was fully stocked with a floor mat for the seperate shower and a floor mat for the large bath and full complement of face cloths and hand towels. By the time we left the face cloths were not ever replaced just taken away and the hand towels went down to one as did the floor mat. i do not blame the cleaners but the housekeeper who should be checking the room after cleaning. Our daughter never had a shower cap in her bathroom the whole stay. The towels were all very hard as though there had been no use of conditioner. In the evenings there was no turn down service so after getting ready for dinner and coming back late the room was the same mess as we had left it . Not good for the prices charged. the rooms were on the second floor and the loud thumping of the ballroom can be felt throughout the room especially the base from the events held there. The restaurant GB1 is a must to visit and i will write a seperate review of this. The newspapers are not delivered complimentary to the room unlike most hotels. The entrance to the hotel is cold even in April whereas a wood firing or coal fire would cheer and warm it up. The concierge are mostly good though again training required here. As we arrived and the car was unloaded I handed the keys to the concierge who asked for my name and then replied that the garage was full and my name was not on the list. i showed him the letter from the deputy general manager showing that she had reserved the garage parking for us and suddenly he found our name. This is of course the first physical contact with the hotel and makes for a serious negative impression. All he needed to do was to apologise and say I am sure it is here and will sort it out and take the keys. That is what all 5 star hotels do. same with the reservation at the GB1 restaurant which had been confirmed in December for April via the same deputy general manager. The reservations could not find it ! I will be only to happy to speak to the new owners as I know the hotel has just been sold and write a full report for them on the hotel as throughout my life I have stayed in many 5 star hotels and the new owners have the chance to really turn this famous hotel round into a proper 5 star hotel without too much investment of money but a lot of staff training. Finally a serious look at the quality of the breakfast is required in terms of the food quality supplied. There is plenty of it and choice but the quality whether cooked or otherwise is not so good. ie cheap orange juice which is quite sharp, low quality sausages. etc. at the end of the day as usual we enjoyed Brighton and would return to the hotel and hope that it improves in due course.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
AMGMDGB, General Manager at The Grand Brighton, responded to this review, 9 May 2014
Thank you for your recent comments on Trip Advisor.

I am very pleased to have welcomed you back once again to the Grand and we are very pleased you had the opportunity to stay in one of our luxury sea facing rooms.

I apologise you felt the housekeeping was not up to the high standard we would expect and you were not happy with your breakfast. All your feedback will be passed on to the kitchen and house keeping management so we can ensure improvements are made.

Andrew Mosley

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,144)
  • Arabic first
Knutsford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 April 2014

I had to work in Lewes for a couple of day and though I would treat myself to a stay at the Grand. This is such a treat. A special hotel.

A few tips for future customers

- Dont park there £30 per night
- Ask for a sea view, if they are quiet you may be lucky
- Walk in to town it's only 10 minutes

Breakfast was very good and the porters were most helful. The receptionist on check out needs to look at the customer, not once did I get eye contact.

Michael the Bars manager was great, his knowldge and customer service was spot on.

Room Tip: - Dont park there £30 per night - Ask for a sea view, if they are quiet you may be lucky - Walk in...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for your recent comments on Trip Advisor.

I am pleased you had an enjoyable stay. We are very lucky to be situated so close to the city centre. Your kind comments will be passed on to the concierge team and our bar manager. I apologise you did not feel the same about the receptionist that greeted you. I intend to pass on your feedback immediately to ensure this does not happen again.

Londonderryy, NorthernIrelnd
Reviewed 29 April 2014

Stayed from 13th to 16th April 2014.Was attending Conference.Didn't matter about the view which was a wall.I wasn't going to be sitting in I came and intended to see Brighton. Breakfast was great plenty of choice and the Staff in the dining area in the morning were very attentive making sure you got your tea and coffee fix.Reception Staff were friendly and willing to help out when my Cousin who'd travelled down from London to see me needed to know the train times to return home they looked it up and printed it out for her. They also charged her phone when she called at first to meet me and I was still at the Conference venue.The room was spotless on arrival. After the room was cleaned every day I placed the Refresh sign on the door.Fresh bedding and towels.I could not fault the Service or staff they work hard to make your stay pleasant and they're always willing to help.A beautiful hotel inside needs a wee bit of TLC on the outside and lovely staff.Thankyou all for such a lovely stay.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for your recent comments on Trip Advisor.

I am very pleased to hear you had an enjoyable stay and would be happy to visit us again. I will pass on your kind comments to the housekeeping team. In regards to the interior of the hotel, we are still undergoing some refurbishments. However, we have chosen to stage the works throughout the year so as to not to cause too much disruption to the hotel at one time.

Buntingford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 April 2014

We re-visited this Hotel, to see if our initial review was incorrect, and this time we were delighted with our stay. The staff were helpful, friendly and on the ball. The hotel is a beautiful building and kept clean and tidy. Our room was just a little bit tired (i.e the paint work etc), and we had a nice view of a wall ! The room itself was large and comfortable. It has all that you need. The bed was sooooo comfortable, that we actually dosed off in the afternoon, and had a wonderful sleep that night. We ate at the Hotels restaurant, and the food is not to be missed. Our waitress (although a bit hard to understand) was very obliging, gave us recommendations and was friendly but not over the top. The concierge were helpful too as the Brighton Marathon was on the day we left and they gave us plenty of advice as to how to avoid the road blocks. It is within walking distance of the Lanes, The Brighton Eye, and the Sealife Centre. This is certainly a hotel we will come back to on our trips to Brighton.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your recent comments on Trip Advisor.

It is wonderful to hear you were delighted with your second stay at the Grand. We are proud of our overall high standard of cleanliness so I am pleased it met your expectations. Nearly half of our rooms are sea facing or have sea views, but being a city hotel there are also internal views as well. I will be sure to pass your compliments on to our staff.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Good return stay at the Grand. On arrival Dave at hand to take the luggage and make us feel welcome. His colleague Pav also very helpful. Chambre Unique sea view was perfect, we even got a suntan whilst drinking coffee on the balcony. Traffic noise not a problem. Thanks to Tamara for organising our rooms, efficient, professional and could not do enough for us. Dinner in the GB1 is to be recommended, absolutely delicious and attentive staff. Another stay which lived up to expectations.

Room Tip: 5th floor sea view Chambre Unique room...fab.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank K A
Thank you for your recent comments on Trip Advisor.

It is fantastic to have welcomed you back to the Grand for a second time. I am very glad you had the opportunity to stay in one of our sea view rooms and made the most of the sunshine out on the private balcony. I will pass on your great experience at GB1 to the chef and restaurant staff.

Broxbourne
Reviewed 27 April 2014

This is our third visit in one year and each time gets better. The staff welcome us as if old friends. Dave is always exceptional on the door helping us with our cases and car, explaining all to us, at the same time making us laugh. When I had left something in the car Pav jumped at the chance to get it for me and it was in my room waiting when I got back. We had a delicious meal in the restaurant which the desert will be my favourite for a long time. Breakfast delivered to the room is the best option no queuing and it is always hot when delivered. But last but not least is the lovely Tamara, she always deals with all of our needs and reserves perfect rooms for us, and gives us a welcome that you can not wait for the next visit. Thank you all for a wonderful time.

Room Tip: You can not beat a sea view room. But they are all beautifully refurbished now.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for your recent comments on Trip Advisor.

I am pleased to hear you had an enjoyable stay with us on your third visit to the Grand. Dave will be very pleased to hear your kind comments.

kent
Reviewed 27 April 2014 via mobile

I booked 2 rooms as a special occasion for family. It took 3 emails and 1 call to ensure that 1 room was a twin. I received no response to my emails and finally just had to call.
Upgraded to sea front king size - great room although bathrooms are disappointing in size - tiny little bath with no separate shower. The room did have a great view.
Breakfast was very average - quality just wasn't there or service.
Checking out was an absolute joke - the day we arrived I was advised that as I wanted to pay by debit card, I would need to pay for the accommodation. All was paid. Checking out .... You still owe for the room upgrade and 1 room and parking ..... The room had been paid, we hadn't used the car park but we apparently needed to pay for the upgrade (which we had been asked to pay the day before). No apology given - just a "it's the system". Honestly - check your bill here!
Also - disappointedly, we had planned our evening to incorporate a beverage at the bar. Sat down ... "This is reserved for a party". 1 hour later that party drift on in ... Ends up with a couple having a huge argument and near on fight! Seriously - great people watching but absolutely no attempt by anyone to stop the scene!
There was a huge demonstration on the Sunday / police everywhere - we asked where and when was safe to venture out ..... The answer, not sure - I walk to work with my eyes closed so didn't see any police! Nb. The whole front from the hotel to pier was restricted with hundreds of police!
Thanks reception for being really inefficient and so unhelpful!
Other than the room - massively over rated!

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank suzie7305
Thank you for your recent comments on Trip Advisor.

I do apologise that you were not given the high standard of communication that you should expect. I can assure you this feedback has been passed on and will not be the case in the future.

However I am very pleased to hear you enjoyed staying in one of our upgraded rooms.