we returned to The grand as due to big issues on our last stay such as shower handle missing and toilet flush not working, the hotel deputy manager had contacted me and offered us two nights in the same rooms (preferred) at a time of our choice including beakfast. we stayed for one extra night which I paid for. The rooms were a sea facing very large room with a wonderful seated area plus an Emporer size bed. The room was light coloured and reasonably lit at night. As before we enjoyed it very much. Adjoining this room was a small side facing room where our daughter stayed. This was fine with the bathroom functioning properly this visit. "Where yet again the hotel standard was let down by housekeeping. The main bathroom on the first night was fully stocked with a floor mat for the seperate shower and a floor mat for the large bath and full complement of face cloths and hand towels. By the time we left the face cloths were not ever replaced just taken away and the hand towels went down to one as did the floor mat. i do not blame the cleaners but the housekeeper who should be checking the room after cleaning. Our daughter never had a shower cap in her bathroom the whole stay. The towels were all very hard as though there had been no use of conditioner. In the evenings there was no turn down service so after getting ready for dinner and coming back late the room was the same mess as we had left it . Not good for the prices charged. the rooms were on the second floor and the loud thumping of the ballroom can be felt throughout the room especially the base from the events held there. The restaurant GB1 is a must to visit and i will write a seperate review of this. The newspapers are not delivered complimentary to the room unlike most hotels. The entrance to the hotel is cold even in April whereas a wood firing or coal fire would cheer and warm it up. The concierge are mostly good though again training required here. As we arrived and the car was unloaded I handed the keys to the concierge who asked for my name and then replied that the garage was full and my name was not on the list. i showed him the letter from the deputy general manager showing that she had reserved the garage parking for us and suddenly he found our name. This is of course the first physical contact with the hotel and makes for a serious negative impression. All he needed to do was to apologise and say I am sure it is here and will sort it out and take the keys. That is what all 5 star hotels do. same with the reservation at the GB1 restaurant which had been confirmed in December for April via the same deputy general manager. The reservations could not find it ! I will be only to happy to speak to the new owners as I know the hotel has just been sold and write a full report for them on the hotel as throughout my life I have stayed in many 5 star hotels and the new owners have the chance to really turn this famous hotel round into a proper 5 star hotel without too much investment of money but a lot of staff training. Finally a serious look at the quality of the breakfast is required in terms of the food quality supplied. There is plenty of it and choice but the quality whether cooked or otherwise is not so good. ie cheap orange juice which is quite sharp, low quality sausages. etc. at the end of the day as usual we enjoyed Brighton and would return to the hotel and hope that it improves in due course.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This is a truly remarkable hotel. An iconic Victorian building, it stands centre stage on the vibrant Brighton seafront and is a local landmark. Magnificent, imposing and the epitome of luxury. This is The Grand, Brighton. Following a recent extensive refurbishment, The Grand experience is one you will never forget. It's in the splendour of the 123 step sweeping staircase, the exquisite textures in the bedrooms, the delectable cuisine in GB1 restaurant and the sumptuous surroundings of The Spa at The Grand. It's in the stunning seaviews and the warmth with which you are welcomed. It's in its innate sense of style. The magnificent Grand is a popular location for films and television shows. Coronation Street, Eastenders and Only Fools and Horses have all shot episodes in the hotel. For the complete Brighton experience, it has to be The Grand, Brighton. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Odigeo, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Ebookers, TripOnline SA, LateRooms, 5viajes2012 S.L., Evoline ltd, Agoda and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Grand Brighton reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The De Vere Grand Brighton Hotel Brighton
- De Vere Grand Brighton
- De Vere Grand Hotel Brighton
- Brighton Grand Hotel