“4* not 5*”

The Grand Brighton
Ranked #9 of 44 Hotels in Brighton
“4* not 5*”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Stayed mid-week with a friend. Had a room with sea view which was lovely. Seems they were only expecting one guest as there was just 1 dressing gown and 1 set of towels in our room. We had to phone housekeeping, but they came with extras very quickly. Disappointed no fridge in room. Staff were very helpful and friendly. Came down to breakfast on first morning to be told there were no tables. We had to wait in the lounge for five minutes. Buffet was very good but service not so. Used plates left on our table. Evening meal in restaurant was really nice and service better. The hotel building is impressive but have stayed in better hotels in Brighton.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
AMGMDGB, General Manager at The Grand Brighton, responded to this review, 2 June 2014

I am very sorry that the room wasn't prepared as it should have been and we will ensure this is addressed.

I am pleased that you enjoyed the breakfast buffet but I am sorry about the issues with service. At peak times breakfast can get very busy but this doesn't excuse tables not being set properly - once again please accept my apologies

Finally thank you for your compliments about your meal in GB1 which I will pass on to the staff

Andrew Mosley

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,127)
  • Arabic first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 May 2014

We have stayed in this hotel a number of times over the past few years (as a couple and as a whole family) and each time it seems to get better and better. The rooms are very nicely decorated with 'comforting' colours and are a nice size. We have never had a bad nights sleep and have slept in all different rooms in all different parts of the hotel. The breakfast offers a whole variety of food - both hot and cold (you can pay for some 'extra' hot food dishes if you want ie. kippers, eggs florentine) but there is plenty to eat (if you don't want to pay for the 'extra' food) with fresh fruit as well as a selection of cakes and pastries. We've never left the breakfast room hungry!

On occasions we have had room service and this has been of an excellent quality and beautifully presented. In the restaurant the staff are always so helpful and the food is absolutely delicious. We would highly recommend a visit!

Throughout the whole hotel we have found all the staff absolutely wonderful regardless of who they are and what position they hold. We, in the past, have had few very minor problems and these have always been sorted out quickly and efficiently which encourages us to come back because of they way they've dealt with things.

What is most important to us is that all the staff are so friendly towards our children and love seeing them and are so helpful regarding any food requirements we may need. The concierge always help us with getting the buggy up and down the front stairs which is very much appreciated.

We thoroughly enjoy our visits to the hotel and are always made to feel very welcome. We can't praise all the staff and the hotel enough.

Room Tip: Book a sea view room - a bit more expensive but really worth it.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
AMGMDGB, General Manager at The Grand Brighton, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Thank you for your extensive feedback following your recent stay

I’m very pleased to hear that you had another great stay and thank you for all the compliments about each component part of your stay

I am particularly pleased that you enjoyed your breakfast – something we have been working hard to improve and that the team in GB1 did a great job.

But overall thank you for your kind words about the team – we all work hard to get customer service right so it’s always very pleasing when a plan comes together!

We look forward to seeing you back at The Grand again soon

Hong Kong
Reviewed 27 May 2014

No doubt the building itself is very grand indeed, if not a little tired here and there.
Being a listed building I expected there would be some issues with fixtures and fittings being a bit run down. so all is quite forgiven there.
What did bug me considerably was the noise level created by the cleaning crew.
I was sick in bed the first day and a half of my stay, so the noise of the doors slamming shut constantly with the chambermaids going back and forth between rooms was a terrible welcome to the hotel.
I guess they assume no one is lying in bed at 2.00pm in the afternoon, so the cleaners must have felt free to let the fire stop doors to each room bang shut with such and intense cacophony that there was no way I was going to be able to rest away my illness. After about 10 bangs of the doors I pooped my head out the room and asked the cleaning lady to keep it down as I was quite sick. She obviously did not give a hoot, because the noise carried on for another hour or so!
Then the kids in the room next door arrived! screaming and carrying on, all heard quite clearly.
No point asking to change room, its bank holiday weekend and the hotel is full!
My question is this.. Can they not make listed buildings more soundproof?
I've found out probably not.
A little warning about these issues in advance of booking might have prepared me for this shock. if you know your hotel does not quite match up to modern built hotels then please don't gloss over these massive issues for a guest Mr/Miss hotel manager. I appreciate this is difficult to do without repelling customers but If you had let me know in advance I still would have wanted to stay in this beautiful building but I would have arrived expecting what I got!
A few more issues with the room I stayed in were... No air con, and a minimally opening window!
why no opening windows when other rooms have balconies? Management probably would say... to stop you falling out the window sir! well next door could fall off the balcony no problem.
No fridge! what? I get you may not want the hassle of offering a minibar but at least give us a fridge. I really am not going to buy every ounce of liquid in need for a three day stay from the hotel! this is just not realistic in 2014!
Apart from that the bath was a godsend, the hot water incredible and the view of the ocean quite lovely.
So all in all Average I am sorry to have to say. Such a shame, I thought a grand hotel would have adapted to modern life, and ironed out all the kinks through experience. Seems not!
It seems to me they just use the listed building as an excuse to offer the minimum, but all done in the best possible way.

Thank you for your extensive feedback following your recent stay

I am sorry about the various issues you experienced during your stay … notably that you were ill and were disturbed by the cleaning staff during the afternoon

I can assure you that we will review all of the points that you highlight and act to resolve them wherever possible

Salisbury, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 May 2014

we stayed here a month or so ago for a few nights away with the wife, we stayed in one of there ocean facing suites which was brilliant the views were excellent, the staff are great but there was a few problems which the manager sorted this si the only reason I am not giving it five stars. Oh and the seafood restaurant was amazing well worth a visit great wine selection too.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Gareth J
Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay

I’m very pleased to hear that, overall, you had a great stay and thank you for the mention about GB1 which is a real favourite with guests and locals in Brighton.

I am sorry if there was a niggle or two along the way but pleased the team sorted these out for you

Next time I hope we’ll get your five stars!

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 May 2014

We stayed here for a night over the May bank holiday weekend and overall had a good stay. The communal areas are beautiful and really compliment the age of this lovely , old building. The reception and bar staff are excellent and really provided an excellent and friendly service befitting of this grade of hotel. When we arrived, we were early so left our bags with the concierge and went out to explore, when we returned to collect them they were already in our room! Fantastic!

Unfortunately, the room was a different story. We had got the cheapest rooms due to availability but it still cost near £200 for one night. It was very small, and reminded me of rooms I've stayed in in far cheaper hotels. There was just a severe lack of attention to detail in terms of the facilities and the quality of the furnishings. Despite putting on my booking that two people were staying there was one dressing gown, 1 pair of slippers so time was wasted calling reception to rectify this. There was a desk chair which was covered in water stains, the windows were dirty and very minimal toiletries. The style of the newly refurbished light fittings and headboards were at odds with the beautiful old desk and table. It just didn't deliver on quality for us at all considering some of the lovely boutique hotels you can get for a similar price in Brighton. I fear the Grand is loosing it's charm! Would I stay again for a similar price? afraid not! We would stay for a discounted rate though.

Room Tip: Pay more and get a sea view room!
1 Thank Lynch85
Thank you for your review following your recent stay

I am very sorry that the room disappointed and certainly some of the issues that you raised should not have been allowed to occur.

I am confident that I have managed to trace your reservation to enable us to check the room you are referring to so as to rectify the problems

In terms of value for money, naturally selling prices vary considerably and are at a premium during bank holidays and for 1 night weekend stays. Better deals are available at other times – midweek when we might be a bit quieter or out of season. This no way excuses the errors made but hopefully puts into some sort of context the price you paid

Greater London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 May 2014

We stayed at the Grand for a few days. We were told our room was not ready until 3. We were happy to have lunch in the bar. My husband went up to reception at around 2 to be told the room was ready, we should have been told. We could have wasted an entire afternoon if he hadn't gone and asked. The reception area is chaotic. The entrance/lounge needs colour, our room was excellent. The breakfast is a buffet, with going backwards and forwards to get your food when you sit down it is cold. We were in for breakfast at 8 but were told that if we had left it another hour it would be chaos. The toaster is behind where the bread is so you have to lean over, being short i couldn't reach it. The best part is if you want say Eggs Benedict you have to pay extra. This is meant to be a 5 star hotel, quite frankly it is more a 4 star, it seriously lacks what a good 5 star should be. The staff in the bar area are excellent but coming down for breakfast one would expect a good morning from the staff not us having to say it to them.

Room Tip: Upgrade but we are at the side and have a lovely view of a window opposite, we are only here for 3 n...
Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay

I am very sorry that you didn’t feel breakfast was as good as you would expect. We are constantly reviewing how we display and serve our breakfast items in order to ensure guests have the best experience possible…however we do operate a buffet for the main items so guests can help themselves to as little or much as they like and generally we get very good feedback about the range and quality

We then offer speciality items which are prepared to order and served to tables such as Kippers and Eggs Benedict for a small additional charge

In terms of communication from reception about your room I am very sorry that this was not done … it should have been and I have addressed this with the team

Thank you again for providing your feedback

Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 May 2014

Since my last visit the hotel has had some redecoration and the room in which I and my daughter stayed was comfortable and beautifully decorated in calm neutral colours. Ok the view outside the window was not great but it was not important. The room was large as was the bathroom which was clean and well equipped. The staff were friendly and helpful. The only irritation was the overly loud music at breakfast it was awful jazzy drone that made conversation difficult. Thankfully the waitress arranged for it to be turned down.
Breakfast was delicious with plenty of choice. I will definitely return.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family

I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay and liked the refurbishment which we completed last year

We look forward to seeing you again soon