“Best expresso martinis in town.....”
Review of The Grand Brighton

The Grand Brighton
Ranked #10 of 43 Hotels in Brighton
Reviewed 31 May 2014

The bar is very grand at the grand and the prices are not for the faint hearted! Although they were not on the bar menu, the bar staff made me an expresso martini. And what an expresso martini it was. Ok it was £10 a pop but it was simply gorgeous, smooth and cheeky-the best in town

Stayed: May 2014
AMGMDGB, General Manager at The Grand Brighton, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2014

Thank you for your recent feedback following your recent visit.

I am very pleased you enjoyed the Espresso Martini’s in our Victoria Lounge and Bar. The whole lounge experience from the ambience and sea views to the table service and the delicious bar snacks included, really do add to the experience. You may also be interested to know that we offer a cocktail hour on Sun-Thurs from 5pm - 7pm, where a selection of our classic cocktails are just £5.

We have a very extensive drinks menu and our mixology team are very passionate in particularly about the cocktails we serve. The staff will be delighted to hear your kind words, which I will pass on to them.

We look forward to seeing you back again soon.

Andrew Mosley

Write a ReviewReviews (8,231)

Reviewed 30 May 2014

I have been to the Grand Hotel before for a private visit but this time I was attending a conference near by so this was the best if not the cheapest option. Rooms are very tidy and clean. I did not have a sea view this time but could have upgraded if I had wanted to but chose not to. Decent bar if a bit too busy for the size of the hotel and excellent restaurant. Brighton has hundreds of restaurants so you don't have to dine there but it is great especially on the very wet nights we experienced during the conference.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank ArtRamirez

Thank you for your review.

I am pleased to hear that you had a good stay. We are lucky to be located so prominantly and the hotel is a fantasic base for both leisure and business guests visiting the Brighton centre.

Thanks for your feedback on the lounge and restaurant. We are very proud to be able to offer guests the option to spend their evening in the Victoria lounge and bar, as well as dine in GB1 Restaurant. The restaurant in particular has received fantastic reviews following its opening last year and really is a forerunner on the Brighton restaurant scene.

Thank you once again for your compliments. We look forward to seeing you back at The Grand again soon.

Reviewed 30 May 2014

Stayed for 2 nights R&R as a couple. Gorgeous room (we had a standard double, nothing flash) very friendly and generally efficient staff. Great location for exploring Brighton.

Room had no air con which made things a bit steamy at night - not a problem in late May but would be uncomfortable in mid summer I imagine.

I was disappointed not to be able to book in for a spa treatment despite reception telling me there was plenty of availability during our stay. In reality I went straight to the spa to book but there were no appointments. I'd advise booking a treatment at the same time you book the room.

Breakfast was rather chaotic with a huge queue - but once in it was really very good.

In summary we had a lovely time but it probably needs a bit of work on managing peak periods.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to review us.

I am very pleased to hear you were happy with your room, but I appreciate you comments relating to air-con. This is something we are reviewing at present.

I apologise for the mis-communication and that the spa was not available on your visit. The spa has become increasingly popular with our guests, as well as spa members and local residents. As you highlighted, we would strongly advise booking as far in advance as possible to avoid any dissapointment. We also offer some fantastic spa packages so you can pick up some deals when booking in advance.

Thanks again for the feedback and I have passed on your comments to the staff and we hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 29 May 2014

Reading some reviews on this site I am beginning to wonder if my husband and I stayed in the same hotel! We stayed earlier this week and had an absolutely fabulous time. Our sea-view room was outstanding, clean and spacious. We had a huge wetroom, spacious dressing room and tastefully decorated bedroom. The bed was extremely comfortable though did make us laugh as I am rather short and probably needed a step to climb on it!
Service was second to none. Nothing was to much trouble and service was fast, courteous and professional. Food was delicious and again service was top notch, particularly breakfast. Even cooked chips at 10.15 specially as we were peckish,best ever by the way!
Yes the outside is a little careworn but sea air does not exactly help. If you surveyed other buildings along the seafront many are similarly affected. I understand the hotel is now owned by a new investor so perhaps outside will be subject to a face lift. However you are inside during your stay and that is what counts. Thoroughly recommend the hotel and will be coming back soon. Thank you for a stress free and relaxing stay.

Room Tip: Deffo book a seaview
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
AMGMDGB, Owner at The Grand Brighton, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2014

Thank you for your extensive and very generous review

I am very pleased that everything was as it should be and what we strive to achieve every time ... accepting that we will occasionally make mistakes (we know we shouldn't and are working hard to achieve perfection) and that we won't always be to everyone's taste or expectation.

However we are very pleased to have been awarded with a Trip Advisor certificate for excellence recently so we are going in the right direction overall

Anyway it looks like we definitely got it right this time so thank you for letting us know.

regards

Reviewed 29 May 2014

Excellent Hotel. Helpful and friendly staff at all time. Clean. Room was large, bed was huge and bathroom was very big. Paid lower than normal price as I booked through a third party on the internet. (Only small gripe was the lack of tea bags,sugar etc in the room) breakfast was very enjoyable, so much choice. Will defiantly recommend. Next time will try and book a sea view.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
AMGMDGB, General Manager at The Grand Brighton, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2014

Thank you for your complimentary feedback and I am delighted you had a great stay

I hope you do decide to upgrade to a (deluxe or even a Grand Collection deluxe?) sea view room next time ... they are a great experience

kind regards

Reviewed 29 May 2014

Revisited the Grand after almost eighteen years. The first time was on my honeymoon and this time I was with my daughter. Got a very good rate and had a pleasant welcome with our room ready early. Spacious airy room which was decorated nicely and felt fresh. Great shower but no robes or slippers nor a fridge. TV not working either but that was sorted out quickly and efficiently and was due to a lead not having been plugged in at the back. Comfortable bed and really crisp sheets. Nice and quiet too which was something I had asked for. Breakfast good. Busy yes but caused no problems. Food tasty and service friendly. The hotel itself is gorgeous with a beautiful sweeping staircase and lovely decor. Next time I'll push the boat out and book a REALLY swish room and celebrate our anniversary!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for comments and I am pleased that you had a good stay. Please accept my apologies for the odd niggle you experienced

Hopefully we will see you again soon .... please don't leave it another 18 years!!

Kind regards

Reviewed 29 May 2014

Stayed at the Grand on 27th May. The view from our room was spectacular, however, there was noise from the road and the late night revellers. Other than a few minor issues in the bathroom - cracked sink and broken shower handle, the stay was very pleasant.

Our room didn't have air con so I'd imagine that during a hot period the rooms could become quite uncomfortable but a small fan was available in our room.

Brighton has plenty of places to eat, the Lanes are great to wander around (especially if you like jewellery!).

Room Tip: 424 had stunning views but the trade off is traffic noise.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for posting a review on Trip Advisor following your recent stay in room 424

I am pleased that you had a good experience overall

As many will know The Grand is located right on the sea front, in the heart of "the action" so it can get a bit noisy ... I am sure quieter hotels are available in Brighton but then they are not so close to The Lanes, shopping, restaurants, night life and of course the sea front (beach, cafes, bars, activities and the views of course!)

Personally I (inevitably!) believe that the it's well worth the money upgrading to one of our sea view rooms and running the risk of a bit of noise outside

Many thanks again for your comments